State of Colorado - OIT

www.colorado.gov

State of Colorado - OIT Reviews

Exposure to many different technologies / Fairly fast pace for a state job

SQL Server Database Administrator (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsOverall good -- Get to work on multiple very large projects -- Get to play with/learn many different technologies, techniques as a SQL Server DBA

ConsExtremely difficult to get promoted and advance in your career / Very low pay compare to the private sector

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the pay system or continue to see talented OIT employees leave for the private sector.

Good intentions hampered by traditional government inefficiency

ProsCurrent leadership is working hard to borrow best practices from private industry. The playbooks are consistently filled with the right work and technology is slowly getting a much-needed refresh.

ConsGovernment is unsurprisingly political and inefficient. Rather than focusing on the work and the citizens, the agencies/departments are more worried about their power and share of money. Too many people seek government employment so they can coast and collect a safe check. It's hard to focus on the right work in such an environment/culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to share the cost of politics - inability for agencies to work together has cost $$$ and has derailed a project that would have saved $$$.

Good place to start

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat place to get experiece

ConsPay is below private sector.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more money and get new management. Take things slower when it comes to consolidatio.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you like getting blindsided, go ahead & join them.

Sr. Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsPositives? Only a pay check which was not stellar, only adequate.

Regular hours.

ConsWhere do I start? I never want to burn a bridge, but I feel that this needs to be said.

I am very happy to have departed on my own & taken work in the private sector.

I've 25+ years of work experience in public sector, private sector, organizations large, medium, & small.

By far, the work environment at Colorado State Gov't is the worst I've ever had the misfortune to experience.

Plenty of money to hire people at OIT (gov't creating jobs with debt) but no money to protect & improve the 20+ year old client-server architecture in place; at least at the agency level.

Its 2013. But at information is stored in Office 2000 Word documents, Access 2000 databases & Excel 2000 spreadsheets. Many workers have this information on thumb drives. Considering current security requirements, its very scary!

Management does NOT listen to the people who do the work.

Very territorial environment due to the entrenched classified employee managers who don't want to change. Protecting the status quo means protecting their empire.

You will step across an invisible territory border and on a land mine. As a result, expect to get a complaint lodged against you. All this in the course of just trying to do your job & move your project forward.

If you answer another manager's question with something they don't like, expect to have a complaint sent to your manager. That's the management culture. If they perceive what you're working on or your ideas as a threat to them, they deal with it by lodging a complaint & calling you "unprofessional"

If you are delivering the status on a system or project and have to give bad news such as the road blocks you've run into, expect to be run over by a bus. It is your fault in spite of not having resources (like data storage) required to complete a project.

Tape Backup systems & backup software that are 12+ years old, out of warranty, & on extended support. Big waste of funds on old systems that cold be used to replace them.

Agency IT staff was stripped off & assigned elsewhere. The folks who do the work are a good bunch and usually help you if they are able. But at organizational levels above that ... don't count on any support.

Many hidden agendas.
    No project budget
    No project plan
    No guidance as to whom to talk with to get the project moving forward.

The equipment purchased was Inadequate & undersized for the quantity of data it was to support.
    Not all equipment could be accounted for. What was available sat in boxes for over a year.

I could go on ... but you get the picture.

DO NOT TAKE A JOB AT STATE GOV'T !!

Advice to Senior ManagementAnyone with 20+ years of state employment should be retired immediately.
    Break down any & all empires
    Break down any budget restrictions.

Do not accept unfounded complaints against people who have a different perspective or offer advice. This destroys morale and makes for a horrible work environment.

Develop a business case for every project.

Get your IT staff the resources they ask for.

Dictate standards and offer only that. No pen drives, no storing data on laptops, desktops, & pen drives.

Build a redundant cloud (yeah, I know its in progress)

Get data out of documents & into databases; data mine those databases for trends.

Living in the definition of insanity

IT Pro X (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsIt will get better, after just a bit of catastrophic failure.
    You can achieve some 'work/life' balance.

ConsPoliticians are running the IT 'Shop' of Colorado so we're always SPECTACULARLY successful while shoving out the ruins and destruction wrought by the dismal failures of "leadership" and "bad attitude employees" of the past.

Google. (not Google itself, but just how we rammed it down everyone's throat and the savings. OMG THE SAVINGS!!!!!!111 )

Blame game - year 7. Well at least for the past seven or so years the "OIT Experiment" has ridden on scapegoating the previous administrations, current public employees, 'customers', and probably Lance Armstrong if they think that'll distract anybody long enough for them to escape being held accountable. The whole concept is simply a method to launder tax dollars from lucrative "Tech Contracts" with the State. It's that simple folks.

If that sounds like the kind of culture that leads to 'excellence' in anything - I've got beach property down near Cortez I need to get rid of fast!

Advice to Senior Management"Leadership" is not "Management". Please stop attempting to lead and start managing. Oh, and stop laundering money through SIPA and the other "Public Private Partnerships".

A comedy of errors, if so much wasn't at stake.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsWork Life Balance, so long as you can compartmentalize your feelings of success to anywhere outside the work environment.

ConsNo funding, no staff, the quality personnel with the institutional knowledge that COULD leave HAS left. The current science experiment of outsourcing every possible IT service is going like you'd expect; messages of sunshine and happiness by the leadership, cost overruns and shortcuts under the covers and behind the scenes. There is not a single 'customer' of this organization that would give it a passing grade. At every opportunity another layer of management, architecture, or director has been laid on thick.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrankly, I don't know what would fix this, other than new leadership and time. It's not my problem to solve. Investment in keeping skills, talent, and digital assets in-house (the opposite of what's happening), would be a start. The data of the citizenry of Colorado is pretty important.

GOIT the office of Information technology

IT Professional II (Current Employee)

ProsHighly technical quality personell working dilligently

ConsLack of agility and inability to adapt to a changing marketplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetention in this economy is key.

Bad leadership, lazy, incompetent workers, no accountability

IT Professional III (Current Employee)

ProsGood for family, hours are good

Conslow pay, no raises in years
    terrible benefits
    level of professionalism is bad
    some people don't even show up and get paid
    no accountability for actions
    leadership all fluff no action

Advice to Senior Managementbring some accountability, direction, less political

Worked for State of Colorado - OIT? Contribute to the Community!