State of Colorado

Updated May 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits! Managed very well

ConsNo opportunity to move up

Management needs to be trained before filling those positions, and all managers should treat employees the same.

Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsA lot of great people work there, supposedly great job security, and all of the crazy holidays that schools get off, we got off, as well. We were also offered a flex schedule where we worked 9 hour days and got every other Monday or Friday off, which was very nice.

ConsEach unit manager was allowed to treat their employees differently than others, so while some employees got to set their hours, watch movies at their desks, work overtime, and got promoted for it, I was not allowed to work overtime, was forced into a specific schedule, taken off of flex time, and berated for trying to make up hours that I may have missed due to doctor's appointments. We, as public servants, did not receive raises for five years because we were the first to feel the pinch of the economic downturn, and the last to reap the benefits when it started looking up. Though I was told repeatedly that I would be able to move up quickly within the Department, I was not given the opportunity after I had to take time off due to cancer surgeries. Those days off were held against me by my manager, and I was, essentially punished for being sick. The compensation was low, the cost of benefits (health insurance) was very high, and didn't cover much.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to listen to your employees, and treat them with respect and dignity. Before promoting someone to a management position, make sure that they take some training on how to do that job. If you can't offer improvements to compensation, at least help the employees to feel appreciated in other ways. When an employee complains about how they feel they're being treated, listen to them as well as who they're complaining about, because I was lied about by numerous people to cover for my supervisor, though those same people agreed with me about his treatment of me (and others sometimes), and advised me to go to HR about it; but when asked directly about it, they lied.

Tax Examiner of Department of Revenue

Tax Examiner (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsIt is a great job for learning anything to do about taxes, whether it be about Corp, Partnerships, Wage Withholding, Sales, Individual, I have learned so much about the statutes, how Fed and State returns are linked together.

ConsHave only received one raise in 5 years due to State budget.
    Not alot of room for growth. Retirement is PERA.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more pats on the back, need more raises, incentives.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not progressive

Rehabilitation Counselo4 (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsStable employment, PERA, regular work schedule

ConsOngoing changes in management, no opportunity to contribute to changes to make them realistic

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people in the field. They have current, and realistic, information on what's happening.

Significant change

ProsGood stability, as this is a professional position with limited qualified applicants.

ConsNew management with very limited understanding of what the work entails. Decisions being made to check a box rather than to increase quality of services.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff. They have more information on what's happening in the field and can help form policies that are appropriate and realistic to the ongoing changes the agency is experiencing.

Great job for entry level or end of career...

Hearing Officer (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsI work with extremely educated and hard working people. I have established a great network of people I interact with at private companies. We have decent offices, flexible work schedules, etc.

ConsYou cannot get a raise...when you start working for the State of Colorado, the salary you accept when starting is your PERMANENT salary, unless you reclassify into another position or transfer to another agency or department. No matter how hard you work or how much you can justify a higher salary...they cannot do it. You can't even quit, let your job go to an open competitive selection and reapply for your job. This means state agencies often employ young people starting out or end of career type people looking for stability. We lose every talented engineer or technician after 2-3 years because private sector salaries are 2-3 times the State pays. As a result, turnover is high and "institutional knowledge" is often lost. This turnover allows regulated companies to take advantage of young employees inexperience and lack of confidence. In my opinion, the citizens of Colorado lose because of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe State of Colorado's salary policy means turnover is high. I worked for the State of Maryland that had well developed performance counseling programs and regular performance reviews. The State of Colorado has little to no performance counseling. It's like working for a small business...

Excellent Benefits

IT Professional II (Current Employee)
    Pueblo, CO

ProsThe pay is pretty good, even though we hadn't had a raise in 5 years until last November. The benefits are spectacular, including retirement (PERA), medical and dental. It depends on the agency but this agency works hard for the citizens of CO and looks out for there well being.

ConsSometimes you feel like a cog in the wheel. Sometimes ideas are announced but never acted upon.

Overall good

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsPERa instead of social security is my favorite part, benefits are decent for employees and okay when adding children. Everyone at my department is very respectful.

ConsPromotions and raises are hard to get. We don't always get cost of living increases. Adding a spouse to the benefit plan is very expensive. Workload is quite heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementProffer opportunities for administrative assistants to move up in their career.

Working with agencies servicing the citizens was great. Established a rapport the help all understand the system.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe gratification of helping the citizens of Colorado.

ConsNo chance for promotion, unless someone retires or dies.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo that you did not get where you are if not for the employees who do the work.

A steady paycheck

Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsState government can be very rewarding, depending of course on where you work.

ConsDespite all of the personnel rules, promotions are still based on "who you know."

Advice to Senior ManagementGo attend another meeting and leave the real work to the folks who know how.....

Worked for State of Colorado? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State of Colorado reviews and ratings. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by State of Colorado employees.