State of Delaware

State of Delaware Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

My experience with State of Delaware was learning one. Training is on-going and accessible to all.

Supervisor Lieutenant (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsThe Captains and Supervisors newly promoted since 2012, care about the outcome of a days work, staff, and the proper supervision of offenders. This has made a difference in morale. Leading and working within policy.

ConsAs the Administration states facilities and departments are staffed, this needs to be addressed. A birdseye view of overall is not good when you have officers in support departments mandated to work ot every other day.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to encourage all, look at true issues and work with personnel to correct prior to a situation.

It is a good place to work at. Work there is much more relaxing and less demanding than work in a private company.

Analytical Chemist (Former Employee) Smyrna, DE

ProsThe state of Delaware has one of the most beautiful benefits. Retiring at 62 years old working for only 10 years you have half benefits and if you work for more than 30 years you have full benefits.

ConsAlthough the state has a good work place some individuals who have worked long seem to make the work place their personal property. Some go as far as stabbing their colleague on their backs. Fighting for positions is common.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should not always listen to certain type of reports from individuals or managers. Reports should be investigated thoroughly by an independent body before a decision is taken against a coworker.

Complacency breeds complacency.

File Room Manager (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsRelaxed working environment, people were nice

ConsDon't try to work too hard, or get anything accomplished, you will disrupt the apple cart.
    The office norm was getting as little done as possible and taking off.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work !

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsI feel the benefits, co-workers and salary were all really a great fit for me.

ConsAt the location I worked in, things were sometimes unorganized, and alot of ego-tripping between supervisors. Other than that it was great working for the State.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only advice I would share with management, is that perhaps it would be nice to offer more training and development to employees, so that they can in turn contribute more to the company.

I worked for over 20 years as an adult, special education, and correctional educator and trainer.

Media and Technology Specialist Educator (Former Employee) Georgetown, DE

ProsGreat benefits. I loved my primary job as a correctional educator after teaching Special Education in public schools for eight years. I was well paid and had summers off for half of the time that I worked in teaching. I am highly educated and found teaching to be my calling.

ConsWorking in a prison was challenging but I was consistent with the inmate students and the staff and other teachers. I was recognized for my work. I cannot say there were many cons to the work I did in Correctional Education.

People stick around awhile

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsWork-life balance is an advantage working in the state government. Great benefit programs. Opportunity to participate in new technology initiatives. People tend to stick around for retirement. Early retirement for some at 25 years.

ConsLittle room for growth for many employees and the pay is less than the private sector.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within. Develop personnel and improve training. Management needs to care more for staff.

It is a stable job with limited growth.

Computing Support Manager (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsThe State has great benefits

ConsThere is limited chance of growth

Advice to Senior ManagementRespond to questions

Physical plant maintenanceupervisor

McHugh Electrical and Mechanical (Former Employee) South Wilmington, DE

ProsI get to work with all trades

ConsI don't get to utilize all my skills, education ,experience , like I like to do

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with the skilled labor more often

Excellent Career Development

Case Manager II (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsGreat benefits, great time off benefits, flexible schedules are an option depending on where you work, would recommend.

ConsIn being reviewed on performance, management does not have a say in any time of compensation increases, it's all determined into yearly budget of the Governor.

Very disappointed as an employee and shareholder in DHSS

Technical Assistant (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsPart time hours flexible depending upon your manager. Some resume building opportunities, but not very many.

ConsAwful culture. Abuse towards part-time employees tolerated al "labor relations" level. Favoritism. Discrimination. You will not leave with your self-concept intact.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you can't follow the DHSS principles of management, please work somewhere like a prison or something. There is no need for secrecy where there is integrity.

Worked for State of Delaware? Contribute to the Community!