State of Idaho Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
Updated September 26, 2014
3.2

CEO

Workforce Consultant connecting job seekers with jobs

Current Employee - Workforce Consultant in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Workforce Consultant in Meridian, ID

I have been working at State of Idaho full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great environment with fantastic co-workers all dedicated to helping job seekers find meaningful employment.

Cons

Many of those who have lost their jobs do not know that we have many free resources to help them get back to work. We only see a small fraction of those we could be helping.

Stagnant job growth with little possibility of change

Former Employee - Medicaid Recovery Officer in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Medicaid Recovery Officer in Boise, ID

I worked at State of Idaho full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Great Benefits
    - Lots of holidays
    - Reasonable time-off & sick time policies

Cons

- Very little upward mobility
    - Very low compensation

Good state, poor leadership

I have been working at State of Idaho

Pros

Very good people who work there and reasonably good job security.

Cons

Job is dictated by politics and maintaining appearances, not what is right for the state.

Do the right thing, not the politically correct thing...reword hard work and sometimes unpopular but sage advice from professional staff.

Good Old Boys Club

I have been working at State of Idaho part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are dedicated to maintaining a strong public service to the community. Good work/life balance for a television station with great benefits and retirement. The schedule is informal and flexible and turnover is very low.

Cons

The Production Department leadership consists of a small "good old boys club" that determines who is in and who is out. Even if you perform quality work, your chances of advancement and respect drop significantly if you don't fit their mold. Other department heads have created a hostile and otherwise unprofessional work environment that has reduced several employees to tears with little-to-no disciplinary action from HR or management. The workers are some of the lowest paid in the state workforce mostly due to government red tape.

Encourage more young and aspiring newcomers that it is possible to move up and become more involved in the inner-workings of this organization. Even though the power to give raises ultimately rests with the governor and legislature, try harder to pursue raises.

Safe and sound

I have been working at State of Idaho full-time

Pros

Fairly safe work, not much worry about being laid off.

Cons

Wrought with inefficiencies. Government moves at the pace of sludge.

Love the Department I work in wished all state agencies were like that

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boise, ID

I have been working at State of Idaho part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and retirement help one to plan for the future and give quality of life to people who live in this great state of Idaho

Cons

Don't alway get raises. The state legislature needs to always make sure it's employee's feel that they have something to work toward and meet that cost of living!

Best times of my life

I worked at State of Idaho full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Rewarding, Challenging, fun, good benefits

Cons

low pay, low moral, employees not given any respect.

treat employees like valued assets with respect and dignity, not like disposable commodities.

State of Idaho, Department of Health and Welfare, Central Office, Boise, ID

Former Employee - IT Systems Integration Analyst, Associate in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - IT Systems Integration Analyst, Associate in Boise, ID

I worked at State of Idaho full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits. Retirement plans include 401k, PERSI, and a State-employee-only retirement account. Coworkers are fantastic to work with, each actually attempting to make the lives of Idaho residents better.

Cons

Pay ranges consistently below market rate. Some supervisors and managers can be hostile towards employees that try to change and/or improve some policies, procedures, and business practices. Training opportunities are promised, but usually conflict with required workloads making it difficult to participate in the training. Lack of training taken when offered shows up as a negative aspect on performace evaluations. The State of Idaho does NOT pay overtime. Overtime worked is accrued as Comp-Time at 1.5 hours per hour of overtime worked.

More training is needed at all levels. Promises need to be kept. If employees are unable to take advantage of training opportunities during normal shift hours (generally with pay), they should be able to take the training during non-working hours with compensation (extra vacation time, comp time, or administrative leave added to employees accrued balances. With the current workload, there is no incentive to go "above and beyond" due to lack of recognition for the extra effort.

IT System Integration Analyst with State of Idaho

Former Employee - IT Systems Integration Analyst in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - IT Systems Integration Analyst in Boise, ID

I worked at State of Idaho full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits; Health insurance options, Vacation time, Sick Leave. Middle management is usually very good and look out after their subordinates.

Cons

A bad supervisor can ruin a better employee. Upper management is generally more concerned about politics then employees. It is hard to keep up with technology unless you do it yourself, that is pay for your own training.

Listen to employees who are unhappy with the way thier Supervisor treats them.

Fabulous with autonomy and lots of room for professional growth

Current Employee - Contract Mental Health Nurse in Moscow, ID
    Current Employee - Contract Mental Health Nurse in Moscow, ID

I have been working at State of Idaho

Pros

I am not on call. The hours are somewhat flexible. The work is challenging and utilizes my skills.

Cons

More funding is needed for all aspects of Public Health. So far, I cannot think of anything that I dislike. Most states are in serious budget crunches and there are no guarantees about keeping a job and where the next cuts will be.

The management and staff care very much about the success and quality of services that they offer.