State of Indiana Reviews

3.3

CEO

Good place to work.

I have been working at State of Indiana full-time

Pros

Salary is decent. The benefits are very good. There are a lot of nice hard-working people.

Cons

State has outdated technology. Mulitple approval processes often delay implementation. State budget and economy can negatively impact programs and services.

Dissatisfied

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at State of Indiana full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good benefits and decent pay.

Cons

Lots of talk about improvements and changes but you rarely see improvements.

Listen to your employees.

Depends upon your field & desires & needs.

Current Employee - State Eligibility Consultant  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - State Eligibility Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at State of Indiana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really enjoy my coworkers. I like having the support of the entire state government. They do take care of you as an employee as best they can and do not treat you as if you are a replacable piece of a large puzzle. It is a great starting point for professionals and experience. It is good work if you have a 2 income household and don't have to worry about having a high salary, or if you just want to work somewhere to fill time. After 6 months, you are eligible to transfer to other state agencies if you find something better and more suited to your needs.

Cons

During onboarding a man told us "You will never get rich working for the state. And if you are, you will propably end up in jail because you're probably doing something illegal." Which is sad but true. The state does not pay you according to industry standards. They pay you what is in their budget. A job with the state which pays $30,000 per year will most likely pay $40-$50K elsewhere. They try to push State benefits & how great they are, but that was in the old days. Indiana State benefits are now high deductible with a Health Savings Account which is what many other companies are going for nowadays. Also, as with many for profit businesses, the State now seems to be focusing on hitting numbers rather than focusing on service. Policies and procedures change as often as the politicians change office.

I work for FSSA and it seems to me that in today's technologically advanced world we would be able to do things Statewide instead of still having regions. More work would get done if the work was distributed evenly among ALL workers, rather than having the large counties do heavier work loads, and smaller counties do less. If you are focused on timeliness and hitting larger numbers, then spread the work around. A lot more fraud cases would be caught to, because the workers in Lake County don't know workers in Marion County who don't know workers in Brown County, etc.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, stable place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at State of Indiana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance. Some flexibility in hours, options to telecommute with certain agencies. Benefits are also very good, lots of opportunities for learning within the state if you pay attention and look for them.
    May people work above and beyond operationally to keep things afloat.

Cons

Pay can be a challenge, not guaranteed annual increases and usually less than the same position in private sector.
    Things do not move quickly, big change can be problematic.

Listen to the end worker when it comes to how improvements could be made. Reevaluate pay, particularly for specific verticals such as IT. The state cannot keep up without quality staff.

Dependable Job

Current Employee - Program Coordinator  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at State of Indiana full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Dependable and stable job, insurance frequently changes but is still better than most. Job security is one of the few reasons to stay in an otherwise unstable job market

Cons

Poor pay, insurance goes up every year and raises are minuscule, if there are any at all. The price of everything goes up but my take home usually goes down

Management is fine, no complaints there for the most part as long as you report to a decent supervisor

Wonderful place, even better people to work with

I have been working at State of Indiana full-time

Pros

It is a true team environment, everyone is here for each other.

Cons

Sometimes you have to deal with people that are very upset, due to no fault of your own.

Excellent chance to serve the people of Indiana

Current Employee - Professional  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Professional in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at State of Indiana full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

great benefits, family friendly hours, and excellent way for newer professionals to gain experience and to help the residents of Indiana

Cons

Limited salary and promotion opportunities. Can be difficult to move from agency to agency to follow your career path.

Organization mired in hypocrisy, bureaucracy, and personal agendas that lead to nothing getting done!

Current Employee - Executive  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at State of Indiana full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are no pros to working for the state of Indiana. You will sacrifice a real career to join this organization.

Cons

Good old boy system at its finest. No one wants real responsibilities. If you work hard and efficient, the lazy find ways to damage your reputation.

Quit. All of you.

Indiana State Board of Accounts - A great audit agency - with almost 40% less pay than market...

Current Employee - Field Examiner  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Field Examiner in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at State of Indiana full-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid back environment, but there is a large learning curve. The employees here are very loyal and care about being public servants. Great benefits and perks. Optional 4 day work week.

Cons

Horribly low pay and many changes in the future are to come (which may not be bad).

Train more effectively instead of rely on the State to do it.

Glad I left

I worked at State of Indiana full-time

Pros

Benefits and vacation are great, if you can take one.

Cons

Horrible supervisors, worst case managers get promoted. Pay is ok starting but the director returned millions to the state instead of giving raises or upgrading equipment.

Listen to the workers in the field.

Worked for State of Indiana? Contribute to the Community!