State of Kansas

State of Kansas Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ok place to work. Pay isn't too bad, best health insurance ever

Research Analyst IV (Former Employee)
    Topeka, KS

ProsGreat ihealth dental and vision insurance, Los of free parking, great on any resume, exposure to lots of experience on the job, free parking, great benefits especially if you gave serious health issues, learn slit about state programs that cater to a broad range of issues community struggles with, incentives to loose weight and stay healthy, great place to work in terms of job stability especially is agencies that have been around for a long long time

ConsAgency dissolved due to state budget cuts, not much opportunity for professional advancement, cramped cubicles, laid off more than 30 employees due to state budget cuts

Some good benefits

ProsHolidays and Vacation Time
    You cannot work and remain employed

ConsIncompetent managers and employees
    Lack of flexibility

job stability is there

Prosgreat work to home balance

Consraises are frozen for classified positons

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Job Security is Nil

Career Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with the public to help change their lives by providing assistance with finding jobs or helping return to school to learn new jobs skills.

ConsManagement does not see their employees as assets but scape goats. Large turn around which is pathetic for an agency placed to help people find permanent jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop manipulating the government money, spend more time appreciating what your employees do for you and show a better example of maintaining worthy help.

I greatly enjoy working for the State of Kansas.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Dodge City, KS

ProsGetting legal holidays off. Flexible schedule. I work in a courthouse with terrific judges and support staff. There is never a lack of interesting stories.

ConsSince we are paid out of a State budget, raises and few and far between. There are step increased that you can count on given according to time on the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think merit increases would be more effective that across the board salaries.

Don't work in government

ProsThere are not many pros to working in government other than healthcare benefits

Conssalary, uncompensated overtime, long long long days

Lots of petty politics

Unclassified State Employee (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, KS

ProsGood health insurance and KPERS benefits but a very below average deferred compensation program. Some of the unclassified employees have a good work environment and some have a very below average work environment. It all depends on which state building your department occupies.

ConsCurrent state leaders have politicized all the unclassified jobs. It is likely that the head of your department, if you are hired by the state, will be a political appointee with little to no background in the job area at hand. It makes for an environment where loyalty trumps competence and people are afraid to say anything negative about current procedures for fear of political retribution.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your experience people instead of hiring and appointing political operatives to critical positions.

The upper management is very unorganized

Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Lawrence, KS

ProsThe benefits are really good

ConsConstantly changing and job security is uncertain

State of Kansas

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with some really great people

ConsCreativity not valued Management not caring about doing the job right. Misuse of money

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow staff to do their jobs

Stable but low pay.

Programmer (Current Employee)
    Topeka, KS

ProsStable job. Nice work environment. Nice coworkers. Good benefits. Plenty of annual and sick leaves.

ConsLow pay. No pay raise for several years. Job can be stressful. No advance opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't expect to have more competitive work force by cutting more budget and lower pay for the exployees.

Worked for State of Kansas? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State of Kansas reviews and ratings. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by State of Kansas employees.