State of Kansas Reviews

2.6
CEO

1. Administrative Assistant

I worked at State of Kansas

Pros

As a State employee I had good health insurance. I liked beung able to have KEPERS and I was able to get vested in 10 years.

Cons

I had to deal with being furloughed for several days. The threat of being furloughed seemed to happen the last few years at this job.

2. EO maint. kdot

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at State of Kansas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

been employed for over 35 yrs, currently classified, good health Insurance, steady pay check excellent retirement benefits, civil service protected last 30 yrs great place to work,, add the other 5 yrs no comparison, soon to be out of the rat race

Cons

new legislation, new hires, promotions, demotions, transfers unclassified status, no protection, change in retirement benefits,,

Advice to Management

respect your employees and in turn they will respect you

3. Kansas Neurological Institute

Former Employee - MHDD-1 in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - MHDD-1 in Topeka, KS

I worked at State of Kansas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1) challenging and rewarding work. 2) only people with good souls should apply

Cons

1) poor benefits. 2) lack of choice on days off. 3) some supervisors are power hungry.

Advice to Management

Respect your staff. Encourage education of your staff. Pick better staff who will actually care for the people who live there. Don't allow bullying to continue.

IT Project Manager

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Topeka, KS

I have been working at State of Kansas

Pros

Good benefits and work hours.

Cons

Politics and outside stakeholder influence challenging.

Advice to Management

Support your staff and put incentives in place to keep them.

6. Kansas

I worked at State of Kansas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good support from the leadership. Salaries are competitive. Excellent insurance opportunities. Human Resources are very good to help solve problems.

Cons

No raises. Concerns about the budget and possibility of a furlough, although this is the first time in several years that this is a concern.

7. Great for those that don't care...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

I have been working at State of Kansas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great health insurance Some agencies allow the Infant at Work Program (but not all) Flexible hours (agency dependent)

Cons

Can be very political; threat of unpaid furlough became very real, confiscating of agency funds to fill gaps in the State General Fund (including taking money from KPERS). You will never get a pay raise, but you keep paying higher insurance premiums and KPERS contribution requirements. Management is usually skilled in their field, but terrible at managing people. Treated like a number, not a person. Inept people routinely appointed to higher level positions based upon length of service as opposed to quality of service provided. Very little room for advancement, opportunities filled with people from outside agencies instead of within.

Advice to Management

Promote those from within your agency that have an understanding of how programs work. Don't promote someone because they have the most time on the job. Length of service is not equal to quality of service. Tell employees thank you, listen to their concerns, and be their advocate.

8. facility maintenance supervisor

I have been working at State of Kansas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

the benefits are the best thing about being employed with the state of Kansas. i guess the fact that it is secure employment would be about all that i can think of as it applies to the "pros" of this employer.

Cons

the downside is the wage / salary and the fact that most technical trades have not had an increase in 7 years. this is a huge reason the state is losing qualified technicians by. add to that the state took away an increase in my wage 7 years ago... something the employer promised and a half after i was hired.

Advice to Management

our wages / salaries are well below the market average in this area. the state of Kansas is well behind the majority of states as far as wages are concerned. raise the wages. the second issue is to many squeaky wheels getting greased in that many employees of the state know the system and how to get out of work. this fact will take your good, hard working employees, and make them have poor attitudes along with becoming lazy themselves.

9. Senior Admin. Assistant

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Topeka, KS

I have been working at State of Kansas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Good health insurance 2. Generous time off 3. My particular position is not a fast-paced environment, which I enjoyed - this gives me ample time to produce top-quality work. 4. Parking in downtown is now free

Cons

1. No short-term disability insurance 2. No raises or advancement possibilities, if you need a raise or wish to advance, you have to find another position. 3. Low pay compared to the private sector. 4. If there is a scale increase for my pay, it has not been offered or mentioned to me.

Advice to Management

Find good employees and then help them succeed. Don't hire people who seem to be over-qualified for a position, they will end up bored and move on, which puts you back at square one. Reward your good employees with some sort of recognition since you can't give raises. Offer to help your best employees ways to increase their salaries - is there a step scale you can use?

10. Political environment makes it hard on State employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

I have been working at State of Kansas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers are great people to work with. Willing to do anything for one another to make sure we all get our jobs done.

Cons

Legislature continues to do across the board budget cuts with state employees being the ones to take the hit. Budget shortfalls due to political short comings has also made it to where we have not had a raise in over 5 years. Do not accept a State job if you think it will be a stable career, it isn't. Our retirement fund is also constantly being messed with by legislature to balance their budget even though they have failed and underfunded the entire system.

IT Director

I worked at State of Kansas (More than a year)

Pros

At first, I thought I was making a difference.

Cons

The machine keeps on grinding, without leadership or direction.

Advice to Management

What do you say to a Governor who is so efficient at destroying productivity?

RSS Feed </> Embed