State of Louisiana
www.la.gov Baton Rouge, LA

State of Louisiana Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014
State of Louisiana – Baton Rouge – “Louisiana State Senate chamber”

Working for the State...

I have been working at State of Louisiana

ProsCompany holidays are great incentive. Also room to advance through the system.

ConsMinimal merits. Annual merits have been on hold for the last 3-5 years. Need an increase in budget

Great Experience

Law Clerk (Current Employee)
Lake Charles, LA

I have been working at State of Louisiana part-time for less than a year

ProsThe experience is excellent for those wanting to practice law in Southwestern Louisiana. Clerks gain exposure to various aspects of litigation, both civil and criminal. Judges rely on their clerks for understanding relevant code sections and case law.

ConsThe pay is not much, but enough for living in Lake Charles

So disappointed.

I have been working at State of Louisiana

ProsThere are no pros when working for the State of Louisiana with the current governor.

ConsEvery single decision is made strictly on a political platform.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new governor.

Average Experience, But Helpful

Public Health (Former Employee)
New Orleans, LA

I worked at State of Louisiana full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking for the state allowed me to get experience under my belt, but the experience was more of a lesson in office politics and how to deal with being micromanaged. Nonetheless, it was one my first jobs, and it was important for me to learn how to work with (some) overbearing personalities.

ConsThe state was very bureaucratic. Additionally, the job security (when I was there) was horrible; therefore, I found that people were afraid to be very successful in reaching the organizational goal for the fear of "working themselves out of job" and being let go. What this created was an environment wherein people did the bare minimum--enough to fly under the radar, but not so much that they end up making any real progress. This was difficult for me since I am used to striving very hard to meet organizational goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to let go of responsibility and give people some autonomy. Often, people think that money is the primary motivator, and usually it is, but when the state is going through budget cuts, and raises can't happen, there are things you can do to make your employees feel valued. One of those things is trusting them to do their jobs, giving them autonomy to do what they have to do, showing and telling them that you appreciate them, and challenging them/growing them wide within the company.

Positive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at State of Louisiana full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI learned a lot about the structure of government agencies and about the funding and administration of the state's budget

ConsIt is tough dealing with most peoples perception of state workers. Sometimes constituents felt they could talk down to you. It was a very top-down management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to use 360 degree evaluation. Your evaluations will never be fair if your supervisor doesn't like you for some reason

Engineering Tech

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at State of Louisiana full-time for more than 8 years

Prosreasonable benefits, check every two weeks

Consminimum opportunities to advance, advancement based on number of subordinants rather than skills

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees

Steady, somewhat secure

Engineering Tech (Current Employee)

I have been working at State of Louisiana full-time for more than 10 years

Proswork sometime independent and other times with good team members, daily location may vary from office to the work sites

Conslack of opportunities for advancement, lack of support from up the ladder. more times than not Management not engaged in real word situations

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to your employees, be more attentive to what goes on around you.

what you plan to do upon starting to work there, and what you end up having to do are completely different.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Monroe, LA

I worked at State of Louisiana full-time for more than a year

ProsI love the people there. i have met several people that are really great....different personalities and have made several friends.

Consthe job is to "help people", however what you end up doing is making sure all your paperwork is "coded" correctly and you get in trouble if you do not certify people for benefits. the governor wants everyone getting money so he can say the state needs it. over the past 5 years there have been no raises, not even cost of living increases. workers are going to work every day giving people who lie and do not work free money and making less than that in their paychecks. people on assistance have no consequences for mistakes and/or not taking care of their business (submitting paperwork) and all the fault falls on the worker. The computer systems do not function well. a lot of time is spent rebooting the computers or calling the call center to get help. or just sitting and waiting. the organization is constantly rolling out new systems, computer programs and practices that do not work with the other systems, thereby adding work to each persons workload instead of making it easier to navigate. the building is filthy, moldy, mildew, roaches, bathrooms look very unclean. it smells like urine.

Advice to Senior Managementfix the above

good place to work if you don't care about making money

Interpretative Ranger (Former Employee)
Saint Martinville, LA

I worked at State of Louisiana full-time for more than a year

Prossmall town , nice people, comfortable job

Conslow pay, small town people with nothing going on like to start drama for something to do,

Good. Not Great. Depends on the Agency.

I have been working at State of Louisiana full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent hours, time off, great(but expensive) benefits.

ConsThe pay is abysmal. Depending on the agency, the culture changes with every new administration.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the lip-service for "equality" of pay in the state workforce, people should be paid what they are worth, not based off seniority. There is no motivation to do a good job, because chances are, people will not get fired and there are few, if any, pay raises. Even when pay raises are instituted, they are less than or equal to 4% which is nothing.

Worked for State of Louisiana? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State of Louisiana reviews and ratings. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by State of Louisiana employees.