State of Minnesota

State of Minnesota Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pros
  • Great benefits, work-life balance are the pros for working for the State of Minnesota(in 5 reviews)

• schedule flexibility, good benefits, good location(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of technology, resistance to change, no clear career path, difficulty attracting young and talented workers(in 2 reviews)

• pay is frozen (for now), and there are hoards of people ready to jump ship, but just waiting for the job market to improve to be able to leave(in 2 reviews)

Good place to work

ProsGood pay for no college education

ConsStressful, managements needs training. Higher ups need more training.

Advice to Senior ManagementCould use quite a bit more training.

Unfunded Mandates Seldom Work out Well

Web Developer (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsMany positions involve work that feels socially useful despite the legislative mandate for consolidation in 2011.

ConsNow you work for politicians instead of technologists. God help you if you are embedded at an agency with less than 100 employees. Cookie cutter solutions from "on high" seldom work well for smaller agencies.

MN

Tax Auditor (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsGood benefits, decent vacation, job security

ConsPromotions primarily via seniority, not performance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Adjudicating disability claims in a timely manner to serve the people of Minnesota.

Disability Specialist (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

Prosschedule flexibility, good benefits, good location

Consunderstaffed, must pay for parking

Advice to Senior Managementoffer time balancing, give more positive feedback

Great work experience

Systems Supervisor (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsOpportunities abound for those willing to take a chance on changes in role / responsibilities. Great work / life balance

ConsNot the most progressive employer; many constraints on employee appreciation opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementMaking the best use of tax payer dollars does not always mean taking the conservative / least controversial path; this should be kept in mind from the top on down.

Lead the Information and Technology department at a state agency.

Director of ITS (Current Employee) Inver Grove Heights, MN

ProsGreat benefits, work-life balance are the pros for working for the State of Minnesota.

ConsPay is an issue. Working for the state brings lower pay for sure.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees going rate.

Horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, good time off package

ConsPolitically charged, harassment rampant and unhappy employees. Avoid this employment like the plague.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire!

Benefits and schedule

Attorney (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsThe schedule is 9-5, absolutely. No law firm associate hours! Go home and enjoy your family. The rest of the staff are pleasant and helpful.

ConsNot much in the way of advancement, and the pay is mediocre. Benefits are good, if only for the couple of extra holidays per year.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is political appointees, who come and go.

Working with public assistance programs, welfare.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsIn some departments there are opportunities for advancement.

ConsHard work, some managers are untrained a provide little support or direction.

Overall, balanced work life

ProsThe up side to working for the state is that you are able to balance your work and personal life with relative ease. While it's not unheard of to put in more than 40 hours a week, it's not a regularly expected norm, either. Many offices are flexible with telecommuting options, also.

ConsThe worst part about working for the state is the unions. Although they can do good, they also cause problems when moving from one position to another. You may not get the pay increase you would normally expect. Also, it's difficult to see where there is money wasted, understand why people complain, and have there be little you can do about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to develop a merit based pay system the union will agree with.

Worked for State of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!