State of Nebraska Reviews

2.6
CEO

1. DHHS Clown Show

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at State of Nebraska full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some great people working here who are smart, hard working, effective communicators and leaders, whether they are actually in a true leadership role or not. Because such quality folks are in the minority, you may have to look hard to find them and try to apply for a position in their area in order to work with them or under them, thus becoming a better employee under their direction and influence. There is opportunity here for many young folks with a great work ethic. The new CEO appears to be GREAT and exactly what this dept. needs in order to change.

Cons

Too many people coasting to retirement and have gotten away with it for years. Too many get promoted just because they have knowledge and been there for a long time. Many of these folks have antiquated ways, are poor communicators, dishonest, and move too slow on projects. Bad folks never get fired even when they keep violating state and federal laws, misuse funds, and are out "ill" for weeks at a time every year during the busy season. Employee intranet always has photos of employees at other offices dressed as clowns, animals, witches, for every month of the year. It is impossible to take this place seriously when there are so many clowns--even literal clowns. Most of the major issues are caused by baby boomers. After they retire, things should improve and become more professional and more like a business in the private sector. Dress code is NEVER enforced--ever!

Advice to Management

Stop encouraging the DHHS offices throughout the state to have employees dress up as animals, clowns, witches, corncobs, etc. and posting the pics online like we are supposed to be proud those folks are part of our big family Its shameful. New CEO needs to make the dept. get back to the basics of how a business should be run. Don't leave dress code "up to the managers" in each area as always stated, because most managers at DHHS don't want to cause conflict and they themselves want to dress down rather than dress up

2. investigator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at State of Nebraska (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are wonderful and the people

Cons

Coworkers are not held accountable for their lack of work product.

3. Government Review

I worked at State of Nebraska

Pros

There is always work to do and there are clear expectations

Cons

Often you are overworked and treated like a number rather than an individual with skills and talents

Advice to Management

Hire good leaders that can develop and support their staff, not just someone who has been there the longest.

great benefits for a martyr

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at State of Nebraska full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefits are great

Cons

managers rely very heavily on making everyone into a martyr. working unpaid overtime, everything for the cause with no appreciation for personal boundaries or passions

Advice to Management

satisfaction can not pay the mprtage. annual .0.12% cost of living raises don't keep quality people around.

6. SSW

I have been working at State of Nebraska full-time

Pros

Helping others with applying for benefits. Making a difference in people's lives. Benefits. Overtime comes around several times a year. That's about our for any pros regarding the position.

Cons

Management likes to micro manage. Administrators don't have a clue on how to treat employees. Moral is low and turnover is high. All administrators care about is stats, not whether cases are done correctly. No raises based on performance. If a raise is given, the increase to insurance will eat up that raise and then some. No respect for the job we do.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like adults and with respect. Actually listen to the employees on what does and doesn't work. The employees are the ones actually talking to the clients.

7. terrible business associates

Former Employee - Manager in District Heights, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in District Heights, MD

I worked at State of Nebraska (Less than a year)

Pros

gained great connections for better job opportunities

Cons

business was sold without knowledge loss of job

Advice to Management

have better business ethics

8. Executive Director

I worked at State of Nebraska

Pros

Great gym with great employees

Cons

Not a sustainable budget for a building that size.

9. The department of revenue has many long term employees that were good to work with, making work fun and enjoyable.

Former Employee - Senior Revenue Auditor in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Senior Revenue Auditor in Omaha, NE

I worked at State of Nebraska

Pros

The office culture is good and the job duties had enough vanity to keep it interesting.

Cons

Being a government job limits the benefits beyond pay and general benefits. Limited growth into management positions.

Stay for the people leave because of the red tape

Current Employee - Information Technology in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at State of Nebraska full-time

Pros

Coworkers are usually like family. Can be very low stress. Basically zero chance of ever losing your job unless you do something catastrophically stupid. And even then. Great benefits and a million days off.

Cons

The sea of red tape will consume and frustrate any attempt at improvement. Lack of any performance based pay increase means nobody cares about performance. inability to fire people means there is a 50/50 chance your coworker or boss is drunk, senile or incredibly incompetent. Pay is awful for tech and engineering positions.

Advice to Management

Implement performance based reviews and salary. Trash dead weight. Stop fighting turf wars and harming citizens.

More Training

Former Employee - DHHS Worker in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - DHHS Worker in Lincoln, NE

I worked at State of Nebraska full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people. I really liked my supervisor. I enjoyed watching another worker help others. However, since I wasn't trained at much, it was overwhelming.

Cons

I was separated from the other new hires, and as they went into training, I just sat at my desk and read through new employee material. I'm not sure I was separated on the first day. Then, once I was in training, I had to catch up with the others and the new instructor went too fast for all of us.

Advice to Management

Allow new hires to be trained together.

RSS Feed </> Embed