State of New Jersey

State of New Jersey Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not all employees are lazy, you get what you put into it and can lead to a great career!

Administrative Analyst I, Data Processing (Current Employee) Trenton, NJ

ProsWorking for the state you will get good benefits; healthcare, days off, pension, etc., and depending on your position you can get a good salary. There are many slackers, bu you need to find good employees to work with and opportunities for advancement do exist. More laid back than private sector and I can count on my hand how many times I've worked late in the past 9 years.

ConsThere are a lot of politics in all areas of state government. It can be challenging, upsetting, and hard to deal with slow projects and bad employees. The way titles are given and tested for can also be frustrating. No free coffee and no company culture. Morale is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing state government there isn't a lot of training that goes on because it costs money. In any technical position the state is always years behind the private sector. It would be hard to go back to private sector once you work awhile for the state.

A job where You Can Make a Difference for the Better

ProsCollaboration, Steady Work, Challenging,
    Can have good work-life balance, except during major projects and.or high-demand seasons

ConsNegative perception of being a government employee by many
    Slow to get things approved through the system
    Tight budgets, doing more with less
    Salary Compression for Managers

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the Good things that Civil Servants do and how they contribute to the betterment of society.

wonderful......

Family Service Specialist I (Current Employee) Hudson Heights, NJ

Prosworking and helping children and families

Consthe long hours and paper work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Gained valuable experience in a chaotic environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Trenton, NJ

ProsVery good benefits; wonderful learning opportunity

ConsPolitical gamesmanship and bullying; lack of care for employee moral

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy employees make more productive employees; you should value the staff more

It was a very long process to get hired but once hired it was an enjoyable experience.

Therapy Aid- Recreation Therapy Department (Former Employee) Edison, NJ

ProsGreat benefits: health insurance, LTC, and the pension program.

ConsIt just takes a very long time from application to being hired. It took about 8 months to a year from start to finish.

Where careers go to die

Administrator (Current Employee)

Pros-work hours are good(full-time 7 or 8 hours depending on title).
    -raises every year if in a union title
    -pension

Cons-outdated equipment and technology
    -essential employee designation given to employees that are not essential
    -Union reps fight for themselves and not those they represent(like our buddies in D.C.)
    -no tuition reimbursement
    -limited career growth
    -pension system may go bankrupt

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement at each "healthcare" facility can only do what their superiors in Trenton tell them to do (No actual power to enact change at a policy level). The leaders in Trenton have effectively gotten the masses to believe that the public employees are the reason why the state is broke and taxes are so high.

Civil Service Job with great benefits

Supervisor of Personnel & Payroll Processing (Former Employee) Annandale, NJ

ProsThe Pension and Health Benefits in retirement

ConsDealing with 900+ employees daily

Advice to Senior ManagementHard to work with

Very satisfying.

Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) Trenton, NJ

ProsWorking for the State of New Jersey the hours are very good. Unless you are essential personnel, working evenings and weekends does not happen. Job security.

ConsBecause you start in the Union, your pay scale and rate of increases is controlled by the contract. Receiving more than the contract is near impossible. Also, applying for other positions within the State requires going through the Civil Service Commission, which costs $25 per application.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the CSC fees and permit greater movement between divisions and departments.

Individual Personnel were generally easy to deal with; state bureaucracy is glacial & cumbersome.

Facilities Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) Trenton, NJ

ProsSalary is average; benefits are superb. Even with increasing co-pays government employees still get a good deal.

ConsBureaucracy; Complacency among workforce. Malaise seems to be cultural among most state jobs/agencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep sight of who You're working for - The Taxpayers!!!

A Scenecent Organization

Manager (Current Employee) Trenton, NJ

ProsTo do some good for the environment and the people of New Jersey

ConsOverwhelming bureaucracy, no real hiring in 10+ years so no new blood and too much work for remaining staff. Too much politics, very little room for promotion and absolutely no reason to go into management since managers have frozen salaries for 7+ years and make less than staff that work for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementMust resolve the salary compresion issues and cut out some of the politics and focus on the real mission.

Worked for State of New Jersey? Contribute to the Community!