State of Tennessee

www.tn.gov

State of Tennessee Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
State of Tennessee – Nashville – “10”

State of Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam

Bill Haslam

Pros
  • but it has good benefits that you get without having to pay the(in 8 reviews)

• great work/life balance, same hours all the time M-F 8-430(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • none other than low pay and underappriciated work(in 7 reviews)

• Pay is low compared to private sector(in 4 reviews)

Accouting Tech - TN Dept of Safety

Accounting Technician I (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsI work with some really great people that treat me good and we have a really friendly environment. Also, this position is stress free.

ConsThere aren't really any good promotional opportunities for someone with a college degree unless you are a state trooper. There are some workers here that do nothing and should have been fired long ago, but they just keep employing them.

I worked in divers (mainly clerical) positions for more than 17 years in 8 different departments.

Human Resources Technician I (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThere are many different career opportunities, working with the State. You generally get some advancement in your salary, while you're in one position, and experience in one position usually entitles you to advance to a higher rank(/salary). Most managers will work with your limitations and position you to utilize your strengths. Most of us have our challenges in life; most of them make a real effort to fit you with a position that really focuses on your strengths, rather than harping on you short-comings. Also, I utilized their benefits of a $20 match to your 401k, a tuition-waiver to take a course in college each term and reduced cost medical insurance. It doesn't pay so well in $$, but it has good benefits that you get without having to pay the $$ to get them. Some of my managers were really good people and I got along well with my colleagues.

ConsAs good as some of my managers were, some were real problems. Beyond the managers, management policy can be fairly capricious (political). In Civil Service, promotions are rare: That's why I had to transfer so often to higher positions with new managers. The benefits are good, but you get the same pay whether the benefits apply to you or not. How god the position is has a lot to do with the particular manager and I saw who my manager was change while I had the same position, sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementYaall eliminated Civil Service Protection, trying to be more like Private Sector. Private Sector is a different environment. If you're going to try to be like Private Sector, you need to pay like PS and you'll get the workforce of PS. You'll be in direct competition with PS. You're NOT PS! Its a mistake to try to compete with PS to do PUBLIC Sector stuff. Do what YOU do well; let PS do Private Sector stuff.

Work

ProsMeeting people was the best.

ConsNot enough pay for the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional Environment

Program Evaluator (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsPaid holidays, sick leave, good insurance,

ConsLittle room to grow, hierarchical politics

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

DCS stressful work environment lack of concern for employee well being

DCS (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits - leave, longevity
    Benefits through TSEA
    Some flexibility with schedule

ConsYou never leave the job
    Staff is overworked, with high case loads and unrealistic expectations
    Punitive atmosphere

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your staff and listen to their input, punitive action is not always the answer. How you expect clients to be treated should be modeled from the top down, you would be amazed what could be accomplished if people felt appreciated.

Data Analyst

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGood benefits like health insurance and flexible hour allowed

Conssometimes it takes a long time to get a final approval on software update and equipment purchase.

Good place to work

Eligibility Counselor II (Current Employee) Cookeville, TN

Prosgreat work/life balance, same hours all the time M-F 8-430. Off all holidays, earn 1 sick day and 1 leave day per month.

Constoo political, sometimes stressful. The compensation is very low considering you must a 4 year degree.

Working for the State

Assistant General Counsel (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsFlexible hours; pretty good benefits; great group of co-workers

ConsThe pay is not comparable to what you would make in the private sector. The new office space is too small. There is not a lot of room for career advancement.

Great place to work

Chief Accountant (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThe State of TN is a good place to work.
    It has great benefits and give you the ability to help people in the state.

ConsCompensation for your work will be lower than the public.
    Advancement could potentially require movement around the state.

Within the human services department, if you are not motivated by money but want to help people this is the place.

Counselor II (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsFlexibility in when needing to get off. Government holidays

ConsDealing with clients can be a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore starting new procedures get staff involved in the development.

Worked for State of Tennessee? Contribute to the Community!