State of Texas

www.texas.gov

State of Texas Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
State of Texas – Guymon – “Texas County Courthouse”

State of Texas – Guymon – “Texas County Courthouse”

State of Texas Governor Rick Perry

Rick Perry

Pros
  • Great benefits; opportunities; good people you Work with (in 10 reviews)

• health insurance, flexible hours to extent, coworkers, learning new things (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • It's not feasible to try running a public agency like it's the private sector (in 5 reviews)

• 30% under payed compared to private industry heavy workload (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place for employment; lots of opportunities for advancement.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits; opportunities; good people you Work with. Never a boring day. Opportunity to help people in need.

ConsSometimes not family oriented. Can be challenging at times. Have to deal with customers from all types of life and their situations.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat Your employees like you would yourself.

Run far, run fast from DFPS

Caseworker (Former Employee)

ProsFront line co-workers were wonderful people, good retirement plan, days off, they will hire almost anyone willing to work for them.

ConsAgency run by self-serving morons, it's all about numbers, you will die from the long term effects of constant stress before you enjoy much of that retirement plan, insurance is awful, turnover and burnout is high, management has no clue about anything, very negative environment, caseloads are ridiculous, your work will be piled up and waiting for you following any days off because no one else has time to cover it and management doesn't know how.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn your employees' jobs. You are not above getting your hands dirty. Raise the pay, raise morale, lower the caseloads, and you might keep some competent people working for the agency long enough to get promoted into management instead of the crap "talent" that sticks around now. As a bonus, you may even accomplish what the agency was meant to do!

Good

ProsIt provided steady work for my length.

ConsNot much pay or incentive to stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more training.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits

Assistant Director of Finance (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsStability, benefits, working conditions, hours

ConsLegislative restrictions on pay raises, # of employees, etc

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more employee incentives

Windows Sales Associate

Texas NeView Golf Coast Windows Sales Associate (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFree access to the Texas State Fair.

ConsSeeing other window experts coming in and inspecting your product and asking you questions.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow what you are selling and be very friendly to incoming clients.

Installing, PC Refresh, troubleshoot and maintain Texas State HHSC workstations (XP and Windows 7)) throughout Region 7

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsIf you like to make a difference on the community then working for the State is way to serve. This is a place that does a lot of good for the general public and I am part of it.

ConsCompensation is better in the private sector, but in my case is not about money is about a chance to give back for all the great opportunities I have had in this country.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand each person weaknesses and strengths and develop a growing career path.

Excellent employer

Technical Writer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat management in my department and agency, great benefits

ConsThe bureaucratic structure of any government agency can be crazymaking at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work supporting staff to do their jobs

I'm happy I've had this experience

ProsThe best thing about working for the state is that it is a stable, decent paying job. There are no surprises, what you see is what you get, so make sure to ask up front all you want to know.

ConsTime off policies could use improvement. There work to life balance is not the best and the job could get very mundane.

Good state agency job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice people, great executive director, everyone part of the same mission.

ConsSalaries on the low end; tasks sometimes monotonous

Work comes before family. Low pay.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPretty good benefits and holidays. Flexible hours. Met some nice people and gained a lot of experience.

ConsIt's not feasible to try running a public agency like it's the private sector. Tuition reimbursement would be a nice benefit. The worst part was management's attitude that work comes before family.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't expect someone to be at work the day after losing their home and pet (and almost their child) to a fire. Be understanding and realize crises happen. Also, don't tell someone that has to take off for a sick child to take them to many appointments or be with them in the hospital that they haven't "explored all their options". Not everyone has two sets of grandparents to dump their sick kids on.

Worked for State of Texas? Contribute to the Community!