State of Utah Reviews

Updated September 2, 2014
Updated September 2, 2014
3.5

CEO

Pros
  • Progressive technology, great team of people to work with, good benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Great Benefits with opportunities to anvance and diversify (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is low, not a lot of growth opportunities (in 7 reviews)

• The salary as a state employee is far below what would be expected in the private sector (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Employee

Current Employee - Programmer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Programmer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at State of Utah full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and flex time are great

Cons

pay raises are non existent

na

Department of Workforce Services

Current Employee - Employment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Employment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at State of Utah full-time (less than an year)

Pros

9-5 Schedule and Great benefits

Cons

Too many politics and not enough pay

Great opportunities for professional advancement. Where you work within the State will significantly your experience.

Current Employee - Attorney in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Attorney in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at State of Utah full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with are great. Within my office, which is a political office, I have the opportunity to work in different substantive areas. That comes with an office that has statewide responsibility.

Cons

We haven't had a pay raise in several years. There is a strong antigovernment sentiment within the local community and elsewhere throughout the state.

Take the time to understand what the people at the ground level do on a day-to-day basis. It will significantly help in making management and budgetary decisions.

State of Utah Employment

Current Employee - Employment Counselor in Tooele, UT
    Current Employee - Employment Counselor in Tooele, UT

I have been working at State of Utah full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hours are consistent, pay is consistent, multiple offices, multiple occupations, environment and people / co workers... variety.

Cons

Increases in health care costs and no increase in actual living wage for many years. Sr. management and line workers are not on the same page. Legislation is process by which funding is given to do business is not very integrous.

Apply your own throughput strategies to the communication process between line workers and management and try to follow the changes / additions / policies down to where the line worker puts them into practice and see what it looks like in the employee's day to day work. Sometimes the push is so hard to do more with less, that because of the more, less gets done.

Stability

Current Employee - Program Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at State of Utah

Pros

The health insurance premium is the best reason to be employed. Great office location and great co-workers. Helping the public.

Cons

State employment is not a money maker. Alot of criticism from outside for what we do. Helping the public.

Management for our department is great. Honestly, couldn't ask for a better set of managers in our area. Keep fighitng the good fight!

Satisfying

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at State of Utah

Pros

Benifits are very good, great, wonderfull.

Cons

Not much advancement forseen in the future.

The State has great benefits.

Former Employee - State of Utah Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - State of Utah Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at State of Utah

Pros

Benefits and 401k are great as of now, but they keep raising the benefit rate every year.

Cons

Upper management
    Respect shown to employees

Big budget cuts - all about money

Former Employee - Clinical Therapist in Clearfield, UT
    Former Employee - Clinical Therapist in Clearfield, UT

I worked at State of Utah

Pros

Great benefits, great co-workers, good retirement, good environment to work in.

Cons

No communication between the SLC city office and other offices. No contact from the upper management. Never left their SLC City office to come meet people in other offices. No recogniziation of other offices from the main office. When cuts had to be made, they alway cut people in other offices, never the main office because they know them, and it made it easier to let go of people they have no relationships with. Lack of getting critical information out to other offices.

They need to realize that when you work for the State of Utah it means the State of Utah not just SLC. They seriously need to communicate better and make an effort to go out to the other offices, and get to know other employees and see what good jobs they do.

State encourages and promotes incompetance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at State of Utah

Pros

Good benefits. Good time off possibilities. Set hours for the most part. Systems in place for employee reviews. Potential for growth within the state as you have first access to open jobs.

Cons

Incompetance is encouraged. Theres an atmosphere of lets do as little work as possible, come in late, be out sick, leave early without reporting it and those who do their job or complain when others dont (not me but another staff member) are gotten rid of. The only thing upper management wants is for their budget to be met regardless of if the job is done. No employee reviews done despite repeated requests. People promoted because of their ability to be manipulated by the director rather than because of their skills and abilities. A very negative environment in which to work...management gives trainings on not gossipping and such and during the training is in the bathroom talking about people.

Hire and encourage competance. If someone says something to HR dont look to see how to fire them -Rob Parkes is king of this I've seen him do this now at two organizations - look to see how things can be changed so everyone feels appreciated and treated respectfully. Get rid of those who are violent, incompetant and just plain dont work rather than those who show up and do their job everyday. And do it well!. Require managers to be in the office and available just as everyone else is. Sitting at your home drinking wine while you complain about everyone with your office manager should not count toward your hours worked.

Career employees no longer welcome

Current Employee - IT Analyst III in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - IT Analyst III in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at State of Utah

Pros

The State of Utah offers a good fixed pension plan.

Cons

The current economic situation has forced the State of Utah to be driven by budget concerns. There has been a reduction of benefits especially for new hires.