www.wisc.jobs

Updated December 29, 2014
3.8

State of Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker
Scott Walker

Pros
  • Very good benefits, some really great co-workers and it is usually nice to work with the public (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits and generous time off (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Salary is much lower than comparable salaries in private sector (in 3 reviews)

• Sometimes upper management will change things with short notice and little explanation (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Big organization, big impact

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at State of Wisconsin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The biggest pros for me are the scope of the impact I have here, career growth potential, and work/life balance.

I get the chance to use my skills to impact tens of thousands of people, not simply dozens or hundreds. I know it sounds hokey, but I feel like the work I do improves the lives of the people around me, and that's a rare feeling in my profession. I work in a small office within a State Agency, and there are dozens of State Agencies in the State of Wisconsin. That means my job has the best of both worlds: I get the benefits and growth opportunities of a large organization, but my office feels "small", with a fairly flat organization structure, and I get the chance to wear many hats.

When I'm ready to look for a different job, it's really easy to apply for transfers or promotions to jobs in other State of Wisconsin agencies. I really like the office where I work now, but I know if I ever didn't, each agency has a different culture and "vibe", and I could find more than one that has the kind of work environment I'm looking for. I have coworkers who started working for the State just after high school, and by learning on the job and moving around from one job to another, have worked their way up to really good paying, responsible positions. I can grow within the State and keep my benefits, accrue my vacation, and build on my business contacts within the organization.

My spouse and I plan on having children in the next few years. The several weeks vacation & sick time will be especially helpful when that happens. Also, I've watched several of my coworkers - and even people in senior management - take extended maternity and paternity leaves of 4-6 months, and sometimes return to work at a reduced schedule for several months. I've never worked for a private sector company that offered that kind of flexibility for their highly-responsible employees.

Cons

Because I work in a small office, there are very few people to do the work. Myself and many of my coworkers are the only people who do our particular job, so finding people who can cover your job while you're out is difficult. Like with any government job, political forces can sometimes impact your work. The Legislature sets the amount of money each state agency can spend, and the Governor's office sometimes has priorities that supersede whatever long-term project you might be working on. Having worked in Fortune 500 companies and in public sector, I can say that there is very little difference between the frustration from decisions based on meeting quarterly earnings projections, and the frustration from elected officials managing a business enterprise according to political needs. Governors and Legislatures are very similar to work for as CEOs and Boards of Directors.

Even though there is uncertainty and times are lean, continue to invest in training your employees. My manager has been great about getting me the training I need to continue to grow, but I see a lot of other managers not doing that, and it makes it difficult for us as an organization to stay up on the latest advances in technology, and continue to improve.

Counselor

Current Employee - Counselor in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Counselor in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at State of Wisconsin

Pros

Good team to work with

Cons

Pay is low for the position and work

N/a

Great place to work

Current Employee - CPA in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - CPA in Madison, WI

I have been working at State of Wisconsin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, pension, flexibility, interesting work.

Cons

Coworkers aren't always the friendliest.

None

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Madison, WI

I have been working at State of Wisconsin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility
    Benefits
    Exposure
    Educational opportunities
    Work life balance
    Great co-workers
    Stability

Cons

Compensation
    Slow process management
    Stigma
    Government
    Too much management
    Not enough opportunity for advancement

I work for the government, and I'm here to help....

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Madison, WI

I have been working at State of Wisconsin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stability, great benefits, internal opportunities, once you learn how to navigate the "state system" a hard-working person can make of their career what they want.

Cons

Lack of innovation, layers of bureaucracy, politics, some lack of upward movement, cumbersome HR processes, some workers that are comfortable doing as little as possible and taking advantage of job protections.

Take more examples from other successful organizations in both the private and public sector and look for ways to become more efficient. Coach up or coach out employees that are stuck in the 'that's how we've always done it" mentality.

Management Treats Employees like crap especially in Community Corrections

Former Employee - OOA in Eau Claire, WI
    Former Employee - OOA in Eau Claire, WI

I worked at State of Wisconsin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most employees are looking to help people make a difference and work hard.

Cons

Unable to really help people because management won't allow it. Not given the time needed to make a difference in anyone's life.

Treat good employees right.

Ok but low paid

Current Employee - Trooper
    Current Employee - Trooper

I have been working at State of Wisconsin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse work environment with independence

Cons

Low pay and low morale

Have worked for two departments.

Current Employee - Office in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Office in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at State of Wisconsin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very good benefits, some really great co-workers and it is usually nice to work with the public. Most employees do truly care about the public.

Cons

Micro managing when the managers don't even do their own job. It doesn't help us when we come to you for assistance and you refuse to help us. Swamped with workload. We lost our unions and its now a free for all if you're not liked at work.

Stop playing favorites and treat all fairly. Please try and keep your good managers. We need raises.

Wisconsin Historical Society: Great place to work!

I have been working at State of Wisconsin

Pros

The staff members are wonderful, very talented, friendly, and dedicated to their jobs.
    The collections are among the best in the country.
    They work hard at outreach to communities throughout the state and beyond.
    The state benefits are excellent.

Cons

State budget cuts are affecting staffing levels, and their ability to collect materials and provide all the programming they would like to provide to communities.
    No advancement opportunities.

Provide funds to increase staffing levels, especially non-managerial positions.

Leave your ethics at the door

Current Employee - Department of Safety and Professional Services Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at State of Wisconsin full-time

Pros

Great benefits and generous time off

Cons

Ok, I get it…it's political by nature but sometimes the decisions being made are extremely unethical. Employees are not valued. You don't put someone on administrative leave 2 weeks before they retire after they worked for the company for 38 years. Division administrators given their positions with little to no business experience other than being a legislative aide. Little to no ability to move up or learn new skills.

Stop playing politics and stick to the mission of serving the citizens and not the special interests.

State of Wisconsin Photos