Statistics Canada

Updated November 25, 2014
3.7

CEO

Good

Former Employee - Economist in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Economist in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Statistics Canada as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice colleagues. Flexible working hours

Cons

Kind of boring. Slow paced

Census Crew Leader

Former Employee - 2011 Census Crew Leader in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - 2011 Census Crew Leader in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Statistics Canada as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced, project-oriented work. Free to set your own hours. Great flexibility and significant responsibilities. I was in charge of a fairly substantial residential district. Some of the residents were very hard to reach. I liked the people I worked with.

Cons

Heavy workload under pressure. Unclear guidelines. Limited supervision, resources, and assistance. Arbitrary communication from higher-ups can lead to confusion and inefficiencies. Computer system was terrible. Slow and difficult to use, constantly crashing.

The tendency was to hire mostly college undergrads and graduate students, but highly educated students weren't necessarily the best enumerators or crew leaders.

Enumerator - 2011 census

Former Employee - 2011 Census Enumerator in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - 2011 Census Enumerator in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Statistics Canada as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Fun and engaging position during the summer months. Going door-to-door to help people fill out there census forms can be very rewarding. Well paid position, with equal pay and no discrimination, and a safe administrative work environment.

Cons

People can be very rude and sometimes aggressive. In order to complete an address, you must complete a certain number of telephone calls and field visits to a house. People sometimes think you are selling a service and have cursed at me, threatened me and shut the door in my face repeatedly. Some people who have not completed the mandatory census form cannot speak english or french, in these cases, it becomes even more difficult to explain the nature of your work. My supervisor was terrible and unorganized, thus the contract was terminated early without warning.

Consider connecting field agents who are working in the same area to avoid overlap and to ask each other for accompaniment to houses/apartments that feel threatening. Consider having weekly meetings or making sure the supervisor is involved with workers as there is little incentive to work otherwise.

Unreliable hours; micromanaging; cool Co workers

I have been working at Statistics Canada

Pros

Coworkers and supervisors are mostly friendly; easy job; good starting houray wage

Cons

Lack of hours; terrible respondents; lack of security; some people are too serious

Provide people with fixed guaranteed hours.

A rewarding temporary position

Former Employee - 2011 Census Enumerator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - 2011 Census Enumerator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Statistics Canada as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

As an enumerator, working hours are flexible and the job offers the unique opportunity to gain insight into the population demographics in your surrounding neighbourhood. Management was well-organized. Paid training sessions were engaging and thorough.

Cons

Aside from the weather-dependent nature of working mostly outdoors, there is a possibilty of being confronted by those hostile toward the government and potential threats to personal safety. This was a rarity, however.

Stats

Former Employee - Subject Matter Officer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Subject Matter Officer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Statistics Canada full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Government salary and benefits. Good central location, and a lot of people work there, so great interdepartmental networking.

Cons

Hard to move around, boring subject matter. Depending on your manager, and your division, you could be doing hardly any work.

Get rid of 'fair' competitions and hire the best people, not the people who do best on tests.

Good overall experience

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Statistics Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice working environment in a downtown office. The colleagues are friendly and if any problem comes up, the supervisors are there ready to help. The salary is ok and if working after 5pm, 2 dollars extra/hour.

Cons

The working hours are not flexible. For evening shift, you have to work till midnight. At the end of the shift, you just do not feel like talking any more since you have done that for hours. Some people are not willing to take survey and you have to be prepared to deal with that over the phone.

Great environment for work

Current Employee - Assistant Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Statistics Canada as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone at Statistics Canada was really friendly and helpful. I was able to learn a lot about data analysis and improve my technical skills as well. The work schedule was really flexible as long as you work your hours. Very nice work life balance.

Cons

The work might not be the most interesting at times. Decision making and work progress was relatively slow as expected of a government organization.

Complicated census operations managed as well as can be expected

Former Employee - 2011 Census Crew Leader in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - 2011 Census Crew Leader in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Statistics Canada as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great salary, flexible work hours, good level of autonomy and responsibility, high level of departmental integrity, great efforts made to ensure proper training (though boring)

Cons

Nature of census (complicated operations, new personnel, changing protocols) is such that everyone is groping their way through the dark a little, supervisors often did not have answers to challenges faced by lower level employees

Odd place to work

I worked at Statistics Canada full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay was good for being on permanent travel status.
    Was able to experience various cities for 1-2 months at a time. Very unique experience.
    Spent minimal time at head office

Cons

Working with people who had little care for the well-being of the respondent for our survey - show some love!
    Moved from BC to Ottawa...mistake.
    Gov't people at Stats Canada are socially awkward, unhappy, overweight or obese, and have a high divorce rate. Most would not survive in private industry. To be successful in private industry, you either contribute to the success of the company or your poor performance will lead to dismissal from the company. Not a problem in gov't - spend all your time being a depressed, incompetent, unproductive worker and you'll still reap the benefits.
    Terrible at efficacy and keeping expenses at a minimum - unbelievable waste of taxpayer money. I was very tempted to report these inefficiencies to the media.
    Red-tape everywhere you go!

While recruiting from across the country for employees on permanent travel status, don't assume that Ottawa is now their hometown. It's not, nor will I ever.
    Stop micromanaging to the point where it is perceived as a psychological disorder.