Statistics Canada

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great environment for work

Assistant Analyst (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsEveryone at Statistics Canada was really friendly and helpful. I was able to learn a lot about data analysis and improve my technical skills as well. The work schedule was really flexible as long as you work your hours. Very nice work life balance.

ConsThe work might not be the most interesting at times. Decision making and work progress was relatively slow as expected of a government organization.

Complicated census operations managed as well as can be expected

2011 Census Crew Leader (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsGreat salary, flexible work hours, good level of autonomy and responsibility, high level of departmental integrity, great efforts made to ensure proper training (though boring)

ConsNature of census (complicated operations, new personnel, changing protocols) is such that everyone is groping their way through the dark a little, supervisors often did not have answers to challenges faced by lower level employees

Odd place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay was good for being on permanent travel status.
    Was able to experience various cities for 1-2 months at a time. Very unique experience.
    Spent minimal time at head office

ConsWorking with people who had little care for the well-being of the respondent for our survey - show some love!
    Moved from BC to Ottawa...mistake.
    Gov't people at Stats Canada are socially awkward, unhappy, overweight or obese, and have a high divorce rate. Most would not survive in private industry. To be successful in private industry, you either contribute to the success of the company or your poor performance will lead to dismissal from the company. Not a problem in gov't - spend all your time being a depressed, incompetent, unproductive worker and you'll still reap the benefits.
    Terrible at efficacy and keeping expenses at a minimum - unbelievable waste of taxpayer money. I was very tempted to report these inefficiencies to the media.
    Red-tape everywhere you go!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile recruiting from across the country for employees on permanent travel status, don't assume that Ottawa is now their hometown. It's not, nor will I ever.
    Stop micromanaging to the point where it is perceived as a psychological disorder.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Canadian Government Organization Review

Informatics (Current Employee) Ottawa (South Africa)

ProsFederal employee with all the benefits, work life balance, large organization so can move around, opportunity for lateral job switching, good physical location.

ConsLarge Org, Gov't Org, and all that comes with it. HR is mainly a walk through process, following guidelines, I prefer the 'Talent Management' philosophy of HR, identify individuals that are making an active impact on improving the organizations product and processes and enable them.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe challenges faced by your org in regards to HR are no different from other large government and large private sector companies. HR has to be more than following rules and management by spreadsheet. There are a number of highly skilled, motivated and capable employees, find them, support them and promote them. Look for more than the check boxes.

In regards to business direction, make strong decisions, in the face of adversity and budget cuts do not attempt to keep doing everything at reduced level, locate the core products and continue to provide them at a recognized world level of quality.

Low salary, heavy workload

Crew Leader (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsFlexible work hours, well-known organization, team-work

ConsLow salary (The salary for contractors hasn't been changed since 10 years ago)

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is important to have reasonable expectations from data collectors.

Great Pay and Flexibility

Interviewer - Data Gathering (Current Employee) Halifax, NS (Canada)

ProsGreat job experience for students in a public institution.

ConsOnly contract work, faily short >1year

great summer job for a student

Census Enumerator (Current Employee) Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Prosdecent summer job. ability to get lots of hours if you are a good producer

Consvery disorganized. flying by the seat of their pants. for something that has happened before and has a fixed timeline they really have no clue what they are doing. like all government work management is not accountable.

Advice to Senior Managementbecome more efficient, figure out what you are doing, don't constantly change the "rules", and get software that works properly

Statistics Clerk

ProsPretty good money for type of work.

ConsIf you don't speak french then you will be treated badly. Only hires through hiring pools leaving good workers out of luck.

Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey pay real money every two weeks

ConsFor being bored to tears while sitting in a cubicle for 8 hrs a day

Advice to Senior ManagementManage!

Statistics Canada - Monitoring Canada's Socio-Economic pulse

Statistical Clerk (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat benefits, relaxed work atmoshpere, casual attire

ConsLimited mobility if you don't have a university degree in Economics, Sociology, Mathematics, Statistics, Management etc.

Worked for Statistics Canada? Contribute to the Community!