Statler Hotel Reviews

4.0
CEO

1. Banquet worker

I worked at Statler Hotel part-time

Pros

You can get exposure to hotel operation. 70% of the employees are students--you can make lots of friends here.

Cons

I can't really think of any cons right now...the work is very flexible its just that its really easy to get lazy -- you will not get punished if you skip/swift with other people.

Advice to Management

good place to get exposure to hotel operation and learn about hospitality industry. Pay is not that much comparing to working in some of the restaurants in the college town but you are here to learn

2. Assistant Cook

I have been working at Statler Hotel part-time

Pros

Statler is an awesome place to work. The entire staff is very friendly and it is a very easy transition becoming part of the statler hotel team

Cons

One con of working at the Statler is that their training plans are not very well organized so it takes a while to learn everthying nessecary to complete your job

Advice to Management

I would revamp the employee training program, and measure its efficiency by how long it takes new employees to become proficient at their jobs

3. I worked in Taverna Banfi (great place for education)

Pros

experience during school. great team. meet a lot of people. understanding of school as a priority. opportunity through growth with HLDP.

Cons

sometimes the system is flawed and unorganized. high staff turn over because of school.

5. Good People, Bad Schedule

Current Employee - Banquet Server
    Current Employee - Banquet Server

Pros

I loved everyone I worked with to pieces. Everyone, even management, is friendly and helpful and understanding. Also, theres always free food made by amazing chefs. Finally, you never get bored, its fast paced and exciting especially during weddings.

Cons

Its fast paced and exciting; so very stressful at times. Also, during graduation, they expect everyone to work 50 hours, and then the rest of the summer I got a total of maybe 40, cumulatively, and they continued to hire more staff. Also, I get paid 5 dollars more an hour to sit at a desk than I did running around like a crazy person; the staff definitely should get paid more, considering we dont get tips.

Advice to Management

Share some of that gratuity. and instead of hiring more people, consider giving hours to your current employees.

6. Bellstand

Former Employee - Bellman in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Bellman in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Statler Hotel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, I really loved it their.

Cons

You have to be friendly all the time.

Advice to Management

Nothing, really great managers.

7. A great community

Current Employee - Banquets Server/Bartender in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Banquets Server/Bartender in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Statler Hotel part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- management is kind, fun, and understanding - diverse staff - flexible hours - positive atmosphere - engaging work - tasty food

Cons

- unpredictable schedule - long hours - food waste - lack of sustainability - low wages

8. Statler hotel is a great place to get hospitality experience

Former Employee - Student Employee in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Student Employee in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Statler Hotel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place for you to get both front of house and back of house working experience in the hospitality industry as a student! Many students work here so you don't have to worry if you don't know much about working in a hotel: everyone understands you and is willing to help :)

Cons

If you don't want to do hotel/restaurant OPERATIONS in the future, it wouldn't be the best idea to spend 16 hours a week working at Statler. There are a lot more to explore as a college student other than in a hotel.

9. friendly, detail-oriented team of staff dedicated to providing excellent customer service

Current Employee - Server in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Server in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Statler Hotel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

feels like you're part of a big family, easy to make friends with co-workers, rob roles are not particularly demanding, free employee meals. very nice facilities and environments to work in.

Cons

long hours, weird shift times, work weekends. pay is not that great. management is difficult to talk to about issues or problems. managers seem to have a very short shelf life - they keep changing so its hard to keep track of who is who.

Advice to Management

be more open to receiving employee feedback

10. Good Experience Valeting

Former Employee - Valet in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Valet in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Statler Hotel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly management Great tip potential Great environment Fun vehicles to drive Generally a great place to work.

Cons

Immature student co-workers; they would call out on a regular basis, and were not put in check by management. Overly-long shifts

Advice to Management

Put the other students in check!

11. Stay for the co-workers but leave soon after because of management.

Former Employee - Bellman/Valet in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Bellman/Valet in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Statler Hotel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only have to work 2 shifts a week, usually co-workers are your fellow students, great for required work experience, bell stand tips are great in the fall, get to talk to prospective students and alumni

Cons

Management often promises promotions/chances for students to move up but does not act on them when agreed upon, takes advantage of students and doesn't give them the time they need for academics/other activities, doesn't always acknowledge requests for specific days/times off, expects students to just do as told and students are not always treated as equals in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Please don't make promises to students you don't expect to keep, treat your employees how you would like to be treated, be more respectful of student academic load, be more available to students to discuss work changes or scheduling and they might not ignore your call next time you need someone to cover...

RSS Feed </> Embed