Statoil

Be The First To
Add Photos

Statoil President and CEO Helge Lund

Helge Lund

Phenomenal company to work for!

Senior Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Statoil full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat salary and benefits they p ay 100% of all medical and dental insurance at the PPO level. They also offer insurance for elderly parents through MetLife, it is awesome insurance and a very low cost. They also are a very family conscienous company. They get exactly what work life balance means.

ConsNot much room for growth and development

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to create opportunities for advancement and growth.

Solid ship headed into rougher weather

Stavanger (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFantastic work/life balance, and company of high ethical integrity. CEO Lund is smart and sincere man with conservative values tempered by Scandinavian sense of humanity. Being a majority state owned company in social democratic Norway has contributed to a generous cushion of labour rights and entitlements. Statoil has developed leading world-class technologies and uses them both to optimize hydrocarbon recovery and find socially and environmentally responsible solutions to adverse effects of oil and gas production.

ConsStatoil is a company in transition, like most other oil majors in one way or another. Norway and Statoil's generosity is often taken for granted by Norwegian employees. The company is wrought with cumbersome bureaucracy and too many internal stakeholders getting in the way of needed greater expediency. Management trying to streamline processes and trim fat to maintain global competitive edge and economic viability in face of tighter margins, but they frequently come across as blunt, callous and clumsy to Norwegian workforce, subsequently diminishing morale and loyalty. The company's turn away from developing renewable energy since the merger with Hydro in 2007 has disappointed many employees. Many also question the ethics of Statoil's investments in oil sands and shale gas and would at least like to see us take the lead in mitigating the environmental and social downsides of those pursuits. The decision and probable necessity to expand internationally is unfortunately contributing to Statoil losing its soul and becoming like many other mega multinational oil companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementInsist on cutting costs through even greater expediency. Don't waste time and resources on appeasing the consensus and likewise don't let clueless managerial tyrants waste the time, resources and creative energy of individuals and teams by insisting on tiresome non-necessities. Despite company's efforts to streamline processes, many still don't get it.

Slow-paced, but very friendly environment...place to take some rest and relax

Stavanger (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than a year

ProsMedium pay, but very short hours and managers are very flexible when it comes to holidays or simply long weekends. All business travel times outside of working hours is paid as extra time.
The environment at work is very nice and friendly...Flowers, cakes, waffles, yoga, good gym...

ConsA lot of old employees - result, very slow pace business environment, most of them, unfortunately, simply wait to retire and get that super pension. No challenge in daily activities. When promoting to new or expatriate positions managers are somewhat favourable to norwegians - which is an understandable issue, but when they hire international people they emphasize that opportunities are equal. Norwegian language recently became an issue, this is no longer real international company - you are told very straightforward that they want you to speak Norwegian - no proper training is provided though. And it requires some efforts to reach some level of proficiency in it...and you are really not sure what to do with it later on in your life...unless you plan to relocate to a country of "perma" autumn/winter...

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of cutting costs on fruits try to stimulate people to save money for the company and not always being contractor friendly...it is harder to do but will save you much more

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SAP PAYROLL /HR

Senior SAPAnalyst (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Statoil as a contractor for more than a year

ProsBest place to wok.
Excellent team to work with.
Friendly environment.

ConsI did not see any

Not bad

I worked at Statoil

ProsGood atmosphere at the workplace

Conscan't figure out what they are doing

Great company to work for

I have been working at Statoil full-time

ProsVery laid back environment. Not too stressful.

ConsWorking as contract employee so no benefits.

Great on paper, pretty good in practice

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Statoil full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood salary and benefits. Work / life balance also good.

ConsDon't treat people as well as lofty "corporate values" would have you believe. If you are not an engineer or scientist type, you are really a second class citizen here.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement in USA needs major assistance. Please send help Norway!

Very Norway Focused-Lacks Understanding of American Culture-Execs are ALWAYS Right

I worked at Statoil full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBusiness complex is good; benefits are good

ConsFavoritism of the Norwegians is definitely obvious

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider development of career paths for ALL employees; not just ones you have identified. Strongly suggest some cultural diversity awareness training. Management has not realized that many times translations are lost between languages. Consider having only English spoken in the office. All employees should have equal rights & access to upper management, HR, etc. Too much executive intimidation.

Statoil has more cash than more brain!

I worked at Statoil for more than 3 years

ProsCompany is a NOC, so they have access to funding. Yes, work life balance, but this is not a competency as by time you will lose your competencies.

ConsSlow, very process oriented, only Norwegian can go up the ladder, decisions are taken behind closed doors, very command and control company despite they show off collaboration. Not the top pay in industry. Very slow learning curve, no development plan whatsoever, expect you to follow the orders.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo surprice that Statoil is the worst performer among the peer group in 2011-2013. Open your eyes and come to your senses. This company need a complete revisit to its strategic view.

A great place with great people

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Statoil as a contractor for less than a year

ProsA workplace where you are taken care of by the organization. You are surrounded by great people who value your work.

ConsWork can get routine and boring sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring more Canadians into senior roles of the company.

Worked for Statoil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Statoil reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Statoil CEO Helge Lund. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Statoil employees.