Statoil

Add Photos

Statoil President and CEO Helge Lund

Helge Lund

Spending dollars saving pennies

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than 8 years

ProsStatoil have a relatively flat organization where one as an employee can handle projects quite on your own as long as you deliver and show results. I.e. leaders will not interfere too much which I appreciate. If you have a solid knowledge of your specific field and is secure on yourself, you can do a difference. My personal experience is that my closest manager gives me free reins with what I do.
Working hours are like in Norway good (regulated by law), and you can normally decide how you use your time. If you have a sick child, nobody will raise their eyebrows if you're home to take care of your child. So if you're a young professional starting in this industry, Statoil is a good place to get experience.

ConsTo much money is spent on wastless studies by external companies because project leaders don't have enough broad knowledge and thus don't trust internals with the required background. This leads to what I like to call decision paralysis requiring even more studies!
Statoil have a lot of technical requirements, which is typical for the oil industry. However there is a resistance to change these when knowledge shows that it should be done.
Now Statoil wishes to save money by saving pennies instead of saving dollars. This is done by taking away benefits we have had like fruit baskets (from a company for people with disabilities. Social responsibility?), food assortment in the cantina etc.
Restrictions to travel is another issue. To travel overseas needs approval by top management. I dare say on one occasion that with less restrictions, the company could had saved X. Not to talk about these studies...
One should bear in mind that Statoil being Norways largest company can't pay as much as foreign oil companies thus pays less because it would raise the average pay level in Norway. All very understandable. With this backdrop it will be less interesting to stay by the company when one have enough knowledge to seek better opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to individuals one by one over a coffee or something, and not from middle/top management.

Solid ship headed into rougher weather

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFantastic work/life balance, and company of high ethical integrity. CEO Lund is smart and sincere man with conservative values tempered by Scandinavian sense of humanity. Being a majority state owned company in social democratic Norway has contributed to a generous cushion of labour rights and entitlements. Statoil has developed leading world-class technologies and uses them both to optimize hydrocarbon recovery and find socially and environmentally responsible solutions to adverse effects of oil and gas production.

ConsStatoil is a company in transition, like most other oil majors in one way or another. Norway and Statoil's generosity is often taken for granted by Norwegian employees. The company is wrought with cumbersome bureaucracy and too many internal stakeholders getting in the way of needed greater expediency. Management trying to streamline processes and trim fat to maintain global competitive edge and economic viability in face of tighter margins, but they frequently come across as blunt, callous and clumsy to Norwegian workforce, subsequently diminishing morale and loyalty. The company's turn away from developing renewable energy since the merger with Hydro in 2007 has disappointed many employees. Many also question the ethics of Statoil's investments in oil sands and shale gas and would at least like to see us take the lead in mitigating the environmental and social downsides of those pursuits. The decision and probable necessity to expand internationally is unfortunately contributing to Statoil losing its soul and becoming like many other mega multinational oil companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementInsist on cutting costs through even greater expediency. Don't waste time and resources on appeasing the consensus and likewise don't let clueless managerial tyrants waste the time, resources and creative energy of individuals and teams by insisting on tiresome non-necessities. Despite company's efforts to streamline processes, many still don't get it.

Slow-paced, but very friendly environment...place to take some rest and relax

Stavanger (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than a year

ProsMedium pay, but very short hours and managers are very flexible when it comes to holidays or simply long weekends. All business travel times outside of working hours is paid as extra time.
The environment at work is very nice and friendly...Flowers, cakes, waffles, yoga, good gym...

ConsA lot of old employees - result, very slow pace business environment, most of them, unfortunately, simply wait to retire and get that super pension. No challenge in daily activities. When promoting to new or expatriate positions managers are somewhat favourable to norwegians - which is an understandable issue, but when they hire international people they emphasize that opportunities are equal. Norwegian language recently became an issue, this is no longer real international company - you are told very straightforward that they want you to speak Norwegian - no proper training is provided though. And it requires some efforts to reach some level of proficiency in it...and you are really not sure what to do with it later on in your life...unless you plan to relocate to a country of "perma" autumn/winter...

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of cutting costs on fruits try to stimulate people to save money for the company and not always being contractor friendly...it is harder to do but will save you much more

Not bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Statoil

ProsGood atmosphere at the workplace

Conscan't figure out what they are doing

Good company to work for...if you are above 30 and want to spent a lot of time with your family.

I have been working at Statoil full-time

ProsProbably the best work/life balance in the world. My colleagues are very friendly, line manager would always approve my holiday, in fact he would suggest to take a longer/better break.

ConsNo pressure, no stress...but it might lead to a very relaxed lifestyle...not sure if it is any good for productivity though.

Advice to Senior Managementapply more international approach to future development of the company.

A great place with great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Statoil as a contractor for less than a year

ProsA workplace where you are taken care of by the organization. You are surrounded by great people who value your work.

ConsWork can get routine and boring sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring more Canadians into senior roles of the company.

1 year experience

I have been working at Statoil

ProsGreat environment. Working time till 15-16h.

ConsYou can get too lazy

The worst choice if you are young international engineer

Petroleum Engineer(Reservoir Engineering) (Current Employee)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life balance is the best thing about Statoil. You will never lose your job, compared to other companies job security is good. Good if you are planning to retire and to relax.

ConsThe worst place for international young engineers to start their career. If you are ambitious person this is not your place. Norwegians are preferred more for promotion than internationals. Incredible bureaucracy in process, even for simple things. Although company is now seeming to be more international, still inside it is very Norwegian. Promotions are done based on years not on responsibility, very discouraging environment. Especially Statoil's research unit is the hub for plenty of pension guys. Many managers but job is done by very few people. Few people are trying to do difficult job(engineer, and mostly junior ones) but those are discouraged, people in the long run discover that engineer does not mean a thing for the company but manager does. Therefore number of managers are huge(unnecessarily huge). Company's salary is well below it's competitors. Company's so called development program for the young engineers is very much dependent on the budget: means that if manager decides that your development program is costly, even if it was created for you well in advance, basically they can delay your development program. Most of Statoil's competitors conquer Statoil at competence, culture, benefits and package. Norwegians has their own mafia here. No respect for the international employees. Many international employees quit their work after some short of time of work at company(3-5 years). Although it is claimed that HR will stand and defend you when you are right, they defend leaders. Sometimes even young employees that are new to industry, do not get training, conferences and exciting projects for 3 years!!!
Other companies such as Chevron, Shell, ExxonMobil, Schlumberger with defined corporate culture which is based on performance and competence will always be better.
HR of Statoil mostly does not understand that they are also vulnerable, and if they do not employ necessary people for necessary places, the system degradation is the matter of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees especially engineers, they make differences not managers. Try to establish systems that do not depend on budget, but that are must. In today's world if you can't offer an engineer consistent development and structured plan for it forget about recruiting top class engineers and graduates. Because you are competing on that side as well with other better companies. Become an oil and gas company with the salary and benefits level of oil and gas company. Respect and trust to your international employees, they are the ones that will help you to develop into international company if you let and encourage them do it. Sometimes you want to achieve things without giving anything, in today's world it is not possible. Statoil is the company that bases its business on engineering of oil and gas field development, that largely depends on technical aspects and engineering of these systems(which are very complex). Selling of the products are just simple things, but engineering systems that produce it are difficult. Understand that you need more competent engineers not managers. First of all try to implement those values yourself instead of making every employee learn by heart. The system implementation requires more than just putting them on paper, it will require complete understanding the importance of diversity and discrimination, and why discrimination can ruin the things.

About the Company

Stavanger (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for less than a year

ProsLife and Work Balance, focus on time completion of the Project

ConsI do agree with the review dated May 10, 2013 (Business Analyst)

Just to add smth in addition to what I have experienced: Very poor management skills.

Change your attitude towards international employees. Very much political on how people get promoted there. There is some norwegian mafia as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf Statoil is so focused on its values and ethics, then Statoil shall start with themselves first. Start going on to an international arena, in order to get an international experience working with Contractors.

Control Systems analyst

Control Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
Porsgrunn (Norway)

I worked at Statoil as an intern for less than a year

ProsBig company, new challenges, be a part of something important. In my case I was lucky enough to work on something new and challenging.

ConsSince the company is big and partially owned by the Norwegian State, there's a lot of bureaucracy that sometimes can slow down processes and create problems where there are not.

Worked for Statoil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Statoil reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Statoil CEO Helge Lund. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Statoil employees.