Statoil

www.statoil.com

Statoil Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Statoil – Houston – “Citywest BCM Campus”

Statoil President and CEO Helge Lund

Helge Lund

Pros
  • Good work life balance, flexible schedule, chance to play big role in projects(in 13 reviews)

• If you are permanently based in Norway and want a no hassle work life with good benefits then this is the right choice(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Project management take be really frustrating as decision making takes long time(in 5 reviews)

• Many international employees quit their work after some short of time of work at company(3-5 years)(in 4 reviews)

Bad values in values-focused company

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer (Current Employee) Norway, MI

ProsGood work life balance, flexible schedule, chance to play big role in projects

ConsActively practice discrimination against non-Norwegians. Norwegians get the easiest jobs, easiest hours, best projects, most resources and best ratings. All of this from a company and country that believes it is the most fair minded of them all.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better lawyers as once the real word gets out, you will be sued out of your pants.

Ideal company if you are Norwegian and want to work 0900 to 1500.

Business Developer (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are permanently based in Norway and want a no hassle work life with good benefits then this is the right choice.

ConsLow glass ceiling for non Norwegians
    General caliber of staff much inferior to what you would encounter in majors or large independents
    Good if you want to cruise but not a good environment for ambitious international employees who need to stay competitive on the international job market
    Gender diversity focus results in very underqualified staff in senior roles
    Complete absence of performance culture and accountability

About the Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stavanger (Norway)

ProsLife and Work Balance, focus on time completion of the Project

ConsI do agree with the review dated May 10, 2013 (Business Analyst)

Just to add smth in addition to what I have experienced: Very poor management skills.

Change your attitude towards international employees. Very much political on how people get promoted there. There is some norwegian mafia as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf Statoil is so focused on its values and ethics, then Statoil shall start with themselves first. Start going on to an international arena, in order to get an international experience working with Contractors.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

International headoffice, yet with Norwegian pride

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Oslo (Norway)

ProsWork and life balance is a great addon. If you want to leave your work at 15:00 or 16:00, then this is the place to be. But if you have some aspirations and want to progress with your career, then you should really consider if this company is the right for you.

ConsThis is my second review of Statoil. I have now moved from the main headoffice in Stavanger to the international headoffice in Oslo. The atmosphere is more relaxed here, but I expected the work pace to be much higher than it turned out. Most of international employees here are adapting quickly to the work environment, you see people spending more time drinking coffee and having hour long lunch breaks. If this company is due to cut its cost and increase competitiveness, they must start with their work culture. I don't think I will be for much longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your attitude towards young international employees. You should drive and encourage performance, and not discourage it by sending your employees home at 1500, 1600. It appears that the CEO is not seeing the problem. The company has its own corporate priority group of something 150 employees and while most of them Norwegian, its very much politics on how they get promoted. If you can play the political game within Statoil, then you will have a chance to boost your career. As I don't consider this workplace to be a political arena, I would rather prefer to get to my work, get the job done on high quality and then go home when I have to, not when I am being told to.

Horrible pay but good hours

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Stavanger (Norway)

ProsThe hours are short so you keep a good work/life balance

ConsPay is lower than any other company buy a long shot; people promoted to management due to time in company, not their competence; have to be in your job 2 years minimum before you can move; bonus is extremely low for an oil company even when profits are record high; coworkers are there to retire so an overall lazy attitude; Norwegians preferred over foreigners for promotion

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people livable wages

Are you lazy and unambitious? Statoil is the right company for you...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Oslo (Norway)

ProsExtreme work-life balance, good perks for everyone regardless of performance, very flexible leadership, paid overtime, 5 weeks of holiday, flexible work hours.

ConsThe company is only good for Norwegians. Foreigners will stay low in the organization regardless how smart they are and hard they work. How long you have been around will determine who is promoted. Lack of decisive decision making. Powerless leaders. The company makes people lazy as working more/harder does not get you anywhere. No performance-based culture. No true commitment to personal and professional development. Extreme bureaucratic organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the right leadership profiles, promote more international in key positions to become a true global company with a multicultural mindset, stop giving to those who do not work/deliver, build a true performance based culture, lay-off lazy employees, streamline your governance.

Not a good company if you are non-Norwegians

(Current Employee)

ProsGreat place for a laid-back person. If you just want to enjoy the life and to have 1-year parental leave with 80% pay, come to Statoil and try to have lots of children.
    The Statoil values, "open, caring, hands-on, and courageous", sound very attractive to new talents.

Cons1. Noticeable difference between Norwegian and non-Norwegian. If you do not know and do not want to speak Norsk, you will be one of the "mercenaries". If you are good, go to other majors - COP, Shell, or Chevron. They will pay and value you much more
    2. So many unprofessional behaviors, such as discrimintative language, social isolation are permitted as long as no physical conflicts are involved
    3. Heavy in decision making and process. The decision seems never to be made during the team discussion. It will be made in the coffee bar by a few Norsk-speaking folks
    4. No team-working or integration at all. Everyone builds the railway by himself/herself. Many times it is funny to see the train can not run through the railway
    5. Being competitive is a big 'no-no'. Inititiative of striving for improvement will be treated as a "threat" or "show-off"

Great Company incompetent people

Senior Accountant (Former Employee)

ProsSalary, Bonus, Insurance, 50% discount at the café, way too many team building events with less work, way too laid back

Consopen plan office, too noisy, no professionalism, lazy employees, no accountability, management/ managers and leaders close their eyes, too much of favoritism, gossips, ill treating contractors, rude behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementNorway executive management to make employees accountable in achieving results. Get rid of lazy employees sitting and wasting their time. Many show up late, keep track of them.

Very Norway Focused-Lacks Understanding of American Culture-Execs are ALWAYS Right

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBusiness complex is good; benefits are good

ConsFavoritism of the Norwegians is definitely obvious

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider development of career paths for ALL employees; not just ones you have identified. Strongly suggest some cultural diversity awareness training. Management has not realized that many times translations are lost between languages. Consider having only English spoken in the office. All employees should have equal rights & access to upper management, HR, etc. Too much executive intimidation.

Statoil has more cash than more brain!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCompany is a NOC, so they have access to funding. Yes, work life balance, but this is not a competency as by time you will lose your competencies.

ConsSlow, very process oriented, only Norwegian can go up the ladder, decisions are taken behind closed doors, very command and control company despite they show off collaboration. Not the top pay in industry. Very slow learning curve, no development plan whatsoever, expect you to follow the orders.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo surprice that Statoil is the worst performer among the peer group in 2011-2013. Open your eyes and come to your senses. This company need a complete revisit to its strategic view.

Worked for Statoil? Contribute to the Community!