Statoil

Be The First To
Add Photos

Statoil President and CEO Helge Lund

Helge Lund

Not a good company if you are non-Norwegians

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place for a laid-back person. If you just want to enjoy the life and to have 1-year parental leave with 80% pay, come to Statoil and try to have lots of children.
The Statoil values, "open, caring, hands-on, and courageous", sound very attractive to new talents.

Cons1. Noticeable difference between Norwegian and non-Norwegian. If you do not know and do not want to speak Norsk, you will be one of the "mercenaries". If you are good, go to other majors - COP, Shell, or Chevron. They will pay and value you much more
2. So many unprofessional behaviors, such as discrimintative language, social isolation are permitted as long as no physical conflicts are involved
3. Heavy in decision making and process. The decision seems never to be made during the team discussion. It will be made in the coffee bar by a few Norsk-speaking folks
4. No team-working or integration at all. Everyone builds the railway by himself/herself. Many times it is funny to see the train can not run through the railway
5. Being competitive is a big 'no-no'. Inititiative of striving for improvement will be treated as a "threat" or "show-off"

Great Company incompetent people

Senior Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at Statoil full-time

ProsSalary, Bonus, Insurance, 50% discount at the café, way too many team building events with less work, way too laid back

Consopen plan office, too noisy, no professionalism, lazy employees, no accountability, management/ managers and leaders close their eyes, too much of favoritism, gossips, ill treating contractors, rude behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementNorway executive management to make employees accountable in achieving results. Get rid of lazy employees sitting and wasting their time. Many show up late, keep track of them.

Very Norway Focused-Lacks Understanding of American Culture-Execs are ALWAYS Right

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Statoil full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBusiness complex is good; benefits are good

ConsFavoritism of the Norwegians is definitely obvious

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider development of career paths for ALL employees; not just ones you have identified. Strongly suggest some cultural diversity awareness training. Management has not realized that many times translations are lost between languages. Consider having only English spoken in the office. All employees should have equal rights & access to upper management, HR, etc. Too much executive intimidation.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Statoil has more cash than more brain!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Statoil for more than 3 years

ProsCompany is a NOC, so they have access to funding. Yes, work life balance, but this is not a competency as by time you will lose your competencies.

ConsSlow, very process oriented, only Norwegian can go up the ladder, decisions are taken behind closed doors, very command and control company despite they show off collaboration. Not the top pay in industry. Very slow learning curve, no development plan whatsoever, expect you to follow the orders.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo surprice that Statoil is the worst performer among the peer group in 2011-2013. Open your eyes and come to your senses. This company need a complete revisit to its strategic view.

The worst choice if you are young international engineer

Petroleum Engineer(Reservoir Engineering) (Current Employee)
Stavanger (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life balance is the best thing about Statoil. You will never lose your job, compared to other companies job security is good. Good if you are planning to retire and to relax.

ConsThe worst place for international young engineers to start their career. If you are ambitious person this is not your place. Norwegians are preferred more for promotion than internationals. Incredible bureaucracy in process, even for simple things. Although company is now seeming to be more international, still inside it is very Norwegian. Promotions are done based on years not on responsibility, very discouraging environment. Especially Statoil's research unit is the hub for plenty of pension guys. Many managers but job is done by very few people. Few people are trying to do difficult job(engineer, and mostly junior ones) but those are discouraged, people in the long run discover that engineer does not mean a thing for the company but manager does. Therefore number of managers are huge(unnecessarily huge). Company's salary is well below it's competitors. Company's so called development program for the young engineers is very much dependent on the budget: means that if manager decides that your development program is costly, even if it was created for you well in advance, basically they can delay your development program. Most of Statoil's competitors conquer Statoil at competence, culture, benefits and package. Norwegians has their own mafia here. No respect for the international employees. Many international employees quit their work after some short of time of work at company(3-5 years). Although it is claimed that HR will stand and defend you when you are right, they defend leaders. Sometimes even young employees that are new to industry, do not get training, conferences and exciting projects for 3 years!!!
Other companies such as Chevron, Shell, ExxonMobil, Schlumberger with defined corporate culture which is based on performance and competence will always be better.
HR of Statoil mostly does not understand that they are also vulnerable, and if they do not employ necessary people for necessary places, the system degradation is the matter of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees especially engineers, they make differences not managers. Try to establish systems that do not depend on budget, but that are must. In today's world if you can't offer an engineer consistent development and structured plan for it forget about recruiting top class engineers and graduates. Because you are competing on that side as well with other better companies. Become an oil and gas company with the salary and benefits level of oil and gas company. Respect and trust to your international employees, they are the ones that will help you to develop into international company if you let and encourage them do it. Sometimes you want to achieve things without giving anything, in today's world it is not possible. Statoil is the company that bases its business on engineering of oil and gas field development, that largely depends on technical aspects and engineering of these systems(which are very complex). Selling of the products are just simple things, but engineering systems that produce it are difficult. Understand that you need more competent engineers not managers. First of all try to implement those values yourself instead of making every employee learn by heart. The system implementation requires more than just putting them on paper, it will require complete understanding the importance of diversity and discrimination, and why discrimination can ruin the things.

Good

Process Engineer (Current Employee)
Caracas, Capital District (Venezuela)

I have been working at Statoil

ProsGood ambient, good salaries, good place for living

ConsMulticultural team, some times no easy to handle

Advice to Senior Managementmore pro-active

Disappointing

Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Statoil

ProsThe Norwegians from Norway were some of the best people to work with. They are fair and trustworthy.

ConsThe company is now becoming "Americanized".
Unfair treatment
Management is incompetent
prejudice
no advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management staff needs to be revamped.

Ideal company if you are Norwegian and want to work 0900 to 1500.

Business Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Statoil full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you are permanently based in Norway and want a no hassle work life with good benefits then this is the right choice.

ConsLow glass ceiling for non Norwegians
General caliber of staff much inferior to what you would encounter in majors or large independents
Good if you want to cruise but not a good environment for ambitious international employees who need to stay competitive on the international job market
Gender diversity focus results in very underqualified staff in senior roles
Complete absence of performance culture and accountability

About the Company

Stavanger (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for less than a year

ProsLife and Work Balance, focus on time completion of the Project

ConsI do agree with the review dated May 10, 2013 (Business Analyst)

Just to add smth in addition to what I have experienced: Very poor management skills.

Change your attitude towards international employees. Very much political on how people get promoted there. There is some norwegian mafia as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf Statoil is so focused on its values and ethics, then Statoil shall start with themselves first. Start going on to an international arena, in order to get an international experience working with Contractors.

International headoffice, yet with Norwegian pride

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Oslo (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork and life balance is a great addon. If you want to leave your work at 15:00 or 16:00, then this is the place to be. But if you have some aspirations and want to progress with your career, then you should really consider if this company is the right for you.

ConsThis is my second review of Statoil. I have now moved from the main headoffice in Stavanger to the international headoffice in Oslo. The atmosphere is more relaxed here, but I expected the work pace to be much higher than it turned out. Most of international employees here are adapting quickly to the work environment, you see people spending more time drinking coffee and having hour long lunch breaks. If this company is due to cut its cost and increase competitiveness, they must start with their work culture. I don't think I will be for much longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your attitude towards young international employees. You should drive and encourage performance, and not discourage it by sending your employees home at 1500, 1600. It appears that the CEO is not seeing the problem. The company has its own corporate priority group of something 150 employees and while most of them Norwegian, its very much politics on how they get promoted. If you can play the political game within Statoil, then you will have a chance to boost your career. As I don't consider this workplace to be a political arena, I would rather prefer to get to my work, get the job done on high quality and then go home when I have to, not when I am being told to.

Worked for Statoil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Statoil reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Statoil CEO Helge Lund. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Statoil employees.