Statoil

Add Photos

Statoil President and CEO Helge Lund

Helge Lund

great comopany

Facility Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Statoil full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat company to network with

Conson the job training is a beast

Ideal company if you are Norwegian and want to work 0900 to 1500.

Business Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Statoil full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you are permanently based in Norway and want a no hassle work life with good benefits then this is the right choice.

ConsLow glass ceiling for non Norwegians
General caliber of staff much inferior to what you would encounter in majors or large independents
Good if you want to cruise but not a good environment for ambitious international employees who need to stay competitive on the international job market
Gender diversity focus results in very underqualified staff in senior roles
Complete absence of performance culture and accountability

Not a good company if you are non-Norwegians

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place for a laid-back person. If you just want to enjoy the life and to have 1-year parental leave with 80% pay, come to Statoil and try to have lots of children.
The Statoil values, "open, caring, hands-on, and courageous", sound very attractive to new talents.

Cons1. Noticeable difference between Norwegian and non-Norwegian. If you do not know and do not want to speak Norsk, you will be one of the "mercenaries". If you are good, go to other majors - COP, Shell, or Chevron. They will pay and value you much more
2. So many unprofessional behaviors, such as discrimintative language, social isolation are permitted as long as no physical conflicts are involved
3. Heavy in decision making and process. The decision seems never to be made during the team discussion. It will be made in the coffee bar by a few Norsk-speaking folks
4. No team-working or integration at all. Everyone builds the railway by himself/herself. Many times it is funny to see the train can not run through the railway
5. Being competitive is a big 'no-no'. Inititiative of striving for improvement will be treated as a "threat" or "show-off"

Optimum Work-Life balance, Good Environment, Ok compensation, Poor international Integration and career opportunities

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
Stavanger (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil full-time

ProsThe Work-Life balance is great, but this is common in Norway. Compensation and Benefit are good for young engineers. Very nice people and environment, everybody willing to collaborate and help.

ConsCompensation and benefit for experienced professionals is below industry average. Norwegian is the language.
Top Management positions are almost only for Norwegians
If you are not proactive is very easy to get bored and feel unsatisfied with your job (many people do as less as possible)

Great Company incompetent people

Senior Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at Statoil full-time

ProsSalary, Bonus, Insurance, 50% discount at the café, way too many team building events with less work, way too laid back

Consopen plan office, too noisy, no professionalism, lazy employees, no accountability, management/ managers and leaders close their eyes, too much of favoritism, gossips, ill treating contractors, rude behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementNorway executive management to make employees accountable in achieving results. Get rid of lazy employees sitting and wasting their time. Many show up late, keep track of them.

Good company to work for if you are true Norwegian, wrong place to be if you are an international employee

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgood work/life balance. The company is the right choise for those who are looking for relaxed and stable employment. Good company for housewives and not ambitious people. It is nearly impossible to get fired, unless you come drunk to your work.

ConsNo professional growth, guaranteed, unless you are Norwegian or a good friend of someone. Most of employees are just waiting to retire and doing minimum tasks. The company is promoting equal rights, hence a lot of women at all layers of organization and most of them just not capable for their job

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of a lot of useless people, among you as well

Great benefits, mediocre operations

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than a year

ProsGood salary, great other compensation if you're around long enough to be vested. Great insurance and other benefits. Flexible work schedule, generally decent work/life balance and enjoyable atmosphere to work in.

ConsLack of leadership in the US area, and some questionable decisions on who they've placed in certain job roles. Recent change to overall corporate growth strategy has created some uncertainty, although ultimately could be good for the company. If you're not Norwegian there's little opportunity for advancement. They're currently outsourcing some job areas so it's difficult to recommend that anyone leave a job they're happy with to come here.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide on a clear strategy for the company, specifically the US, and put the right people in place to accomplish that vision in the right manner.

Opportunities to work in many countries and cultures.

Senior Consultant Procurement (Current Employee)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than a year

ProsVaried tasks. Highly educated colleagues. Opportunities to work abroad.

ConsSlow promotion. Bureaucratic and slow decision making.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten the structure - take out a few levels of management - this will encourage creativity.

Spending dollars saving pennies

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than 8 years

ProsStatoil have a relatively flat organization where one as an employee can handle projects quite on your own as long as you deliver and show results. I.e. leaders will not interfere too much which I appreciate. If you have a solid knowledge of your specific field and is secure on yourself, you can do a difference. My personal experience is that my closest manager gives me free reins with what I do.
Working hours are like in Norway good (regulated by law), and you can normally decide how you use your time. If you have a sick child, nobody will raise their eyebrows if you're home to take care of your child. So if you're a young professional starting in this industry, Statoil is a good place to get experience.

ConsTo much money is spent on wastless studies by external companies because project leaders don't have enough broad knowledge and thus don't trust internals with the required background. This leads to what I like to call decision paralysis requiring even more studies!
Statoil have a lot of technical requirements, which is typical for the oil industry. However there is a resistance to change these when knowledge shows that it should be done.
Now Statoil wishes to save money by saving pennies instead of saving dollars. This is done by taking away benefits we have had like fruit baskets (from a company for people with disabilities. Social responsibility?), food assortment in the cantina etc.
Restrictions to travel is another issue. To travel overseas needs approval by top management. I dare say on one occasion that with less restrictions, the company could had saved X. Not to talk about these studies...
One should bear in mind that Statoil being Norways largest company can't pay as much as foreign oil companies thus pays less because it would raise the average pay level in Norway. All very understandable. With this backdrop it will be less interesting to stay by the company when one have enough knowledge to seek better opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to individuals one by one over a coffee or something, and not from middle/top management.

Good company. Incapable, unqualified, inexperienced management - all across the board

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, flexible work (at least that's what they promote)

ConsTerrible Management. Wrong people are in wrong places

Advice to Senior ManagementIncapable to accept advice

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Statoil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Statoil reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Statoil CEO Helge Lund. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Statoil employees.