Statoil Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
3.1

Statoil President and CEO Helge Lund
Helge Lund

Pros
  • Good work life balance, flexible schedule, chance to play big role in projects (in 14 reviews)

• If you are permanently based in Norway and want a no hassle work life with good benefits then this is the right choice (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Project management take be really frustrating as decision making takes long time (in 5 reviews)

• Many international employees quit their work after some short of time of work at company(3-5 years) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

fine and friendly atmosphere to work in.

I worked at Statoil as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

as it is mentioned above, friendly atmosphere, regular payments, fine services as well.

Cons

I canot pin point any.

keep going.

Good work/life balance, slow pace growth

Current Employee - Graduate Consultant  in  Stavanger (Norway)
    Current Employee - Graduate Consultant in Stavanger (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil

Pros

Statoil has one of the best work and life balance in the market. Working culture, depending on the business area (I work in Development & Production Norway) is very relaxed, including dress code. If you work for Statoil in Norway, the employment gives you some strange status.

Cons

Career development is very slow and for foreign graduates, Norway with it's cultural values can be really difficult to cope with. Project management take be really frustrating as decision making takes long time. Norway as a country to live in will challenge you as well, both cost-level wise and people-wise.

Be more inclusive towards international employees. Compensation must be aligned with the market if the management wishes to stop the increasing turn-over among young people. Internal processes must be simplified and this should not take 5 years, but be rather executed fast track.

Very good experience and training.

Current Employee - Process Engineer
    Current Employee - Process Engineer

I have been working at Statoil

Pros

the flexibility within statoil is the best thing one can experience

Cons

the benifits one gets from statoil are so bad if compared to other companies.

look at the employees benifits and compensations.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No commitment from employees. Too many managers and expats. Opportunities are given to Norwegians.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance. Salaries and benefits are also good. Good facilities and work environment. Good learning of oil & gas industry.

Cons

The opportunities to grow are given only to Norwegians and friends. A lot of money is spend to keep expats everywhere. Very expensive and empty facilities in fancy locations. Outsourced services which the quality is really poor. The company wants to save in cents, not in dollars.

The management needs more training and capability. The diversification of nationalities is also important.

They said they are a global company but they are not

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Statoil full-time

Pros

Salaries and benefits
    Friendly co-workers; Open communication
    Great company for Norwegians or if you just want to comfortable work place until retirement. It is not a good company for international staff who are ambitious and want to have a successful career

Cons

Extremely micro managed. Most decisions are made in Norway though head quarter doesn't understand how to run business in the US or onshore.
    No real growth potentials for international staff. Most senior positions are continuously filled by Norwegians, even in positions where local should have advantages (e.g. Government and Public Affairs)
    Disciplines with least diversity/globalization are Drilling & Wells and Finance

If the Company is as serious in globalization as top management says, they should be HUMBLE (one of the company's Values) to recognize that they need international talents to make the company a successful global company.
    Stop using North America as a training ground for Corporate's favorite kids.
    Less focus on politics and more focus on performance in your decisions

A good place for work- life balance but can be very stressful for an ambitious person/ foreigner/ non-engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oslo (Norway)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oslo (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work -life balance. Considering how little I am expected to deliver, compensation is high. Really nice people. A great place for people who have lots of children and look for a relaxing day in the office after a tiring evening at home.

Cons

Too laid back and unprofessional. The biggest challenge is that Statoil doesn't seem to know what it wants or what it wants to be. Too political and complex to navigate for an international employee. The meeting culture is really weird and extreme - too many meetings with no agenda or outcomes. You will be challenged and frustrated by the lack of a structured career path and slow career progress. If you are not Norwegian and an engineer your career progress will disappoint you and your learning curve and competitiveness runs a real risk stagnation. Your experience before Statoil will not be valued - it's how long you've been with the company that matters and who you know. Competence and performance are not valued or promoted. Salary levels are lower than industry average (think about 30% for commercial roles) and the situation I described above with all the risks it entails just makes it a no no if you are far from retirement. If you still need a breather form a hectic life and work under a U.S. or U.K. contract, suggest you slap a 30% - 50% risk premium on whatever salary you are thinking of negotiating.

Learn to say what you want and work on your communication skills. Challenge yourself to gain more awareness of the world outside Norway and the markets you operate and sell in.

Bad values in values-focused company

Current Employee - Chief Cook and Bottle Washer  in  Norway, MI
    Current Employee - Chief Cook and Bottle Washer in Norway, MI

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work life balance, flexible schedule, chance to play big role in projects

Cons

Actively practice discrimination against non-Norwegians. Norwegians get the easiest jobs, easiest hours, best projects, most resources and best ratings. All of this from a company and country that believes it is the most fair minded of them all.

Get better lawyers as once the real word gets out, you will be sued out of your pants.

Ideal company if you are Norwegian and want to work 0900 to 1500.

Former Employee - Business Developer
    Former Employee - Business Developer

I worked at Statoil full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are permanently based in Norway and want a no hassle work life with good benefits then this is the right choice.

Cons

Low glass ceiling for non Norwegians
    General caliber of staff much inferior to what you would encounter in majors or large independents
    Good if you want to cruise but not a good environment for ambitious international employees who need to stay competitive on the international job market
    Gender diversity focus results in very underqualified staff in senior roles
    Complete absence of performance culture and accountability

About the Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Stavanger (Norway)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stavanger (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for less than a year

Pros

Life and Work Balance, focus on time completion of the Project

Cons

I do agree with the review dated May 10, 2013 (Business Analyst)

Just to add smth in addition to what I have experienced: Very poor management skills.

Change your attitude towards international employees. Very much political on how people get promoted there. There is some norwegian mafia as well.

If Statoil is so focused on its values and ethics, then Statoil shall start with themselves first. Start going on to an international arena, in order to get an international experience working with Contractors.

International headoffice, yet with Norwegian pride

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Oslo (Norway)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Oslo (Norway)

I have been working at Statoil full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work and life balance is a great addon. If you want to leave your work at 15:00 or 16:00, then this is the place to be. But if you have some aspirations and want to progress with your career, then you should really consider if this company is the right for you.

Cons

This is my second review of Statoil. I have now moved from the main headoffice in Stavanger to the international headoffice in Oslo. The atmosphere is more relaxed here, but I expected the work pace to be much higher than it turned out. Most of international employees here are adapting quickly to the work environment, you see people spending more time drinking coffee and having hour long lunch breaks. If this company is due to cut its cost and increase competitiveness, they must start with their work culture. I don't think I will be for much longer.

Change your attitude towards young international employees. You should drive and encourage performance, and not discourage it by sending your employees home at 1500, 1600. It appears that the CEO is not seeing the problem. The company has its own corporate priority group of something 150 employees and while most of them Norwegian, its very much politics on how they get promoted. If you can play the political game within Statoil, then you will have a chance to boost your career. As I don't consider this workplace to be a political arena, I would rather prefer to get to my work, get the job done on high quality and then go home when I have to, not when I am being told to.

Worked for Statoil? Contribute to the Community!