Stax, Inc.

3.3

Stax, Inc. CEO Raphael Musher
Raphael Musher

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great way to learn a lot about the business world

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Stax, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stax is a very high-paced work environment with short projects (typically 2-4 weeks), allowing both full-time and contract employees to learn about a wide range of industries and business functions in a short time. Full-time employees will frequently work with Stax's senior management, and occasionally work directly with high-level executives at clients. I see very few jobs out there that allow such a wide range of exposure to the business world.

An additional plus, relative to most consulting firms, is that Stax only rarely sends employees to work onsite for clients, so there's relatively little travel involved. Associates might make 2-5 trips each year for meetings, but you're not living 4 days a week on the road.

Cons

Stax has room for improvement in certain HR functions: recruiting, staffing, personnel development, promotion, and compensation. These were not factors in my decision to leave, but they were sources of frustration. Stax is improving, but still has a way to go.

Millennials are notoriously difficult to manage, demanding constant feedback, clear paths to advancement, perks, and compensation that rises in line both with our productivity and with competitive demand. I believe there's a strong business case for meeting these requests, especially in professional services. By figuring out what top employees want and giving it to them proactively, top firms (think Google) boost both productivity and employee retention enough to more than offset the resulting costs.

Contract Research Position is cold calling

Former Employee - Contract Research Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Contract Research Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Stax, Inc. as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay and friendly managers.

Cons

Inconsistent contracts, extremely boring and tedious.

Watch your contract associates, they will slack off, especially those that have been there a while.

Great Chance to Learn the Consulting Ropes

Former Employee - Research Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Stax, Inc. as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It's a great opportunity to "test-drive" consulting and gain some experience in a flexible work environment. Both full time and other contract employees are friendly and willing to teach you. My research associate work played an integral role in my transition into management consulting. Not only did I gain valuable experience, but the quick project turnover allowed me to learn about a variety of industries.

Cons

At times, the primary research can be a bit frustrating. Some people really don't want to speak with you.

Good place to get your feet wet in consulting.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Stax, Inc.

Pros

Great place to learn consulting. Friendly and collegial people. Low stress environment. Fairly flexible with the schedule. Good place for contract work.

Cons

VERY low pay. Supposedly there is an increase in pay with more experience, but you are never told how or when, if ever this happens.

Offer more money!

Stax Culture

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Stax, Inc.

Pros

You get some space at the company; they expect you to fully be on top of your workload, so you do not have someone looking over your shoulder or interfering with your projects often.

Very friendly, smaller offices and company at large.

Cons

Extremely political climate, where the stereotype of 'It's not what you know, but who you know" fits.

Take input from down the ladder a more seriously - management can be wrong at times too.