Stax, Inc.

Great Company, Smart People, Great Place to Learn

Former Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Stax, Inc. full-time

Pros

Stax is a great company with a strong niche in the private equity due diligence space and a sizable and fast-growing corporate and portfolio strategy business. Its greatest strength is the people working there. From associate through CEO, Stax has some of the most capable, creative, and business savvy people that I have had the pleasure of working with. Relatively all consultants combine an ability to think outside of the box while focusing on answering the client's critical questions.

From an employee perspective, this is an exciting and fast-paced place to work--and more importantly, to learn. For anyone interested in understanding the ins-and-outs of private equity and corporate investment strategy from a market perspective, this is the place to start. The work is both interesting and challenging for all levels of the consulting staff--particularly associates who are a critical part of each project.

Stax's client list is impressive, boasting some of the largest PE firms and corporate clients in the world, and its opinion is highly respected. It is an all-around great place to work.

Cons

Because it is a relatively small but growing company, it has room for improvement in terms of onboarding, personnel development, and compensation; however, it was apparent to me prior to my departure that these are areas where it has focused its attention moving forward. None of these issues had any impact on my departure.

Provide clear, consistent, and direct feedback on the performance (both good and bad) and trajectory of an employee. Constructive feedback allows employees to understand their strengths and weaknesses and know what they need to work on improving.

Management adept at managing information and systems but has poor people skills

I have been working at Stax, Inc. as a contractor

Pros

Interesting exposure to M&A world, as with any consulting each project is unique. Can be flexible on hours for contractors/research associates if you've got other things going on like interviews as it is viewed as a temporary position.

Cons

Definite segmentation between contractors/research associates and FT staff. Former are treated as commodities, a means to an end (completing the project) and are expected to go to bat on projects that they were called in on sporadically and sometimes within just the last 24 hours. The actions/behaviors of management do not indicate that you are valued as a research associate, though they will say nice things to make you feel good.

Office environment as drab, socialization is discouraged and everyone eats meals at their desk because "you are an important person with so much work to do" so how could you possibly waste time socializing with co-workers over a sandwich at Jimmy John's?

On the FT side are experiencing problems with employee retention at the consultant and associate level. Likely a result of them being underpaid and overworked.

Offer the research associates more responsibility on the projects and clue us into your secondary research findings more. You may be surprised to learn that we have skills to offer aside from merely cold calling.

Good consulting and research experience

I have been working at Stax, Inc. as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Stax is a small consulting firm that does custom research. The clients are in the Fortune 500 and you work with well-respected executives.

You're duties include helping with the survey design on excel, collecting data, managing online surveys, and final review of the delieverable. It's important to stay on top of your assigned work, as things change rather quickly with new requests from clients.

There are a lot of educated people with different backgrounds. You can really learn a lot.

Cons

You really need to love research to get through some boring projects, but the work is rather interesting, even if it may not be at kick-off.

Some projects are phone heavy, which all consultants and associates hate, but you learn it is a vital part of consulting. Getting real-time data is crucial and even BCG started with one phone.

Things can get stressful at times. It's difficult if some contacts are not willing to give you information, or some people aren't taking their surveys, or sometimes the technology is faulty.

There are a few things that I am not happy with but you get some good experience. I would just say take some time and put yourselves on our shoes.

Not a great place to work, and stay away if you don't want to make cold calls

I have been working at Stax, Inc. as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The work is very flexible; you can work remotely and take charge of your own schedule. Also, the pay is decent for starting out, especially if you're a recent graduate.

Cons

Communication is a fairly big issue here. Sometimes, information gets missed when passed to different people, and the supervisors don't really say much about what they expect of you. The work itself is pretty boring and consists mostly of cold-calling, and I get the feeling that if you don't get the results they want (which isn't completely dependent on you, since you are calling people out of the blue and they won't always want to talk to you), they may judge it as a poor reflection of the job you're doing. Also, it's contract work, and even if you get hired, you may just be sitting around for months before they have any actual work for you to do. Oh, and you won't get to interact with a lot of people if you're working from home, so you don't really get to make work friends.

Call, call and call some more

Current Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Stax, Inc. as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The people there are friendly and the work can be fun and challenging. You learn about industries very quickly and are requested to get smart on a market space very quickly. Good pay when there is work. Highly flexible work schedule.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be much encouragement from management and other contractors to socialize outside of work. Short, unpaid lunch breaks, corporate culture, inconsistent work with full-time 9-5 hours so it can be difficult to work other positions while on a contract. There also doesn't seem to be much promoting to full time positions from within the company. Contractors remain contractors.

Great way to learn a lot about the business world

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Stax, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stax is a very high-paced work environment with short projects (typically 2-4 weeks), allowing both full-time and contract employees to learn about a wide range of industries and business functions in a short time. Full-time employees will frequently work with Stax's senior management, and occasionally work directly with high-level executives at clients. I see very few jobs out there that allow such a wide range of exposure to the business world.

An additional plus, relative to most consulting firms, is that Stax only rarely sends employees to work onsite for clients, so there's relatively little travel involved. Associates might make 2-5 trips each year for meetings, but you're not living 4 days a week on the road.

Cons

Stax has room for improvement in certain HR functions: recruiting, staffing, personnel development, promotion, and compensation. These were not factors in my decision to leave, but they were sources of frustration. Stax is improving, but still has a way to go.

Millennials are notoriously difficult to manage, demanding constant feedback, clear paths to advancement, perks, and compensation that rises in line both with our productivity and with competitive demand. I believe there's a strong business case for meeting these requests, especially in professional services. By figuring out what top employees want and giving it to them proactively, top firms (think Google) boost both productivity and employee retention enough to more than offset the resulting costs.

Nice place to work while inbetween jobs or as a student

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Stax, Inc. as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great people, interesting projects, casual atmosphere. Financially they pay quickly and also are W-2 and offer benefits which is nice. Through the project work/data collection process you learn a lot about industries and products you otherwise would have little to no exposure to.

Cons

Some projects are simply much more of a challenge than others (luck of the draw, maybe). As a R/A its mostly collecting information through surveys (lots of phone calls) and sometimes the SME's are harder to talk to. It takes some creativity and resiliency at times.

None at this time.

Contract Research Position is cold calling

Former Employee - Contract Research Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Contract Research Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Stax, Inc. as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay and friendly managers.

Cons

Inconsistent contracts, extremely boring and tedious.

Watch your contract associates, they will slack off, especially those that have been there a while.

Great Chance to Learn the Consulting Ropes

Former Employee - Research Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Stax, Inc. as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It's a great opportunity to "test-drive" consulting and gain some experience in a flexible work environment. Both full time and other contract employees are friendly and willing to teach you. My research associate work played an integral role in my transition into management consulting. Not only did I gain valuable experience, but the quick project turnover allowed me to learn about a variety of industries.

Cons

At times, the primary research can be a bit frustrating. Some people really don't want to speak with you.

Good place to do contract work for good pay, great experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Stax, Inc. as a contractor

Pros

Decent hourly rate, flexible work schedule, good experience with real responsibilities on interesting projects, lots of fun to work there (free lunches, go out for drinks, etc.)

Cons

Contract employees dependent on available work, lots of time on the phone.