StayWell Health

Paul Terry, Ph.D.

Health Coach Review....an average job

Former Employee - Health Coach in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Health Coach in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at StayWell Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Able to choose day or evening hours. Eventually worked from home.
    Other coaches were fabulous coworkers. Very supportive to each other.

Cons

Low pay, for very highly qualified coaches, therapists.
    A draining job because of having to stay within "script" provided by company.
    Managers not very happy and it showed. The stress trickled down the line.

Allow the coaches to go of script and do real coaching. Practice health and wellness internally.

Overworked and underpaid but virtual options a plus

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at StayWell Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Direct management and teammate support was pleasant and rewarding. Ability to work virtually also a perk.

Cons

Benefits awful, leadership rarely backs or encourages operational support teams, serious lack of change management skills and opportunities to advance. The tight-knit cliques within the organization make for a very "high school like" vibe.

Behind in the field of wellness, un-ethical, treats employees poorly, extremely high turn-over.

I worked at StayWell Health full-time

Pros

It was close to my house.

Cons

This environment will remind you of high school. After working there for almost 1 year I didn't know more than 10 peoples names. By managers and coworkers alike, you will be ignored, feel the cliques, be talked about behind your back, and told you aren't good enough. If you stand up for yourself, you will be written up, and told you are disrespectful for looking out for your own well-being. I was bullied and tag-teamed by my manager and account manager for hours each week.

I did not receive training at any point of my employment. I rarely could get my manager and account manager on the phone when I needed them. They would tell me they were busy working, to later find out they were playing with their children and their dogs, going shopping, going to the zoo, etc. When they did answer, I was told to ask other people for the answers and/or training by walking around the building and asking random people to help me. I talked to my account manager and manager less than 1 hour per week, I was told the account manager was supposed to be available up to 5 hours per week. After I stood up for myself I was getting yelled at for a minimum of 2 hours per week.

Working 60 hours a week is normal, unless you work in the call center or you work from home.

StayWell disrespects the client by not giving the client what they ask for and paid for. All of StayWell's products/programs are out of date (from the 90's) and they make excuses for not improving them. They fool the clients into buying the programs and the clients are fully disappointed. I was told to lie to the client, repeatedly, so StayWell didn't have to acknowledge the mistakes of managers, directors, product development, account managers, IT, HR, marketing, and call centers. At company wide meetings, all employees are told to lie to the clients. StayWell admits to employees and clients (after clients are disappointed in StayWell) that StayWell is not up-to-time in employee wellness. There was not any proof that StayWell has intent to improve their programs either. At the last all employee meeting we were told that StayWell does not know what it's own culture of wellness is yet, but it will be good when they figure it out, StayWell has been around for 35 years. Does that tell you anything?

The health insurance is terrible, they admit it at company wide meetings.

I quit, much like the other people who leave in swarms. It's not uncommon for up 4 people to quit on the same day, many did not have other employment lined up. I run into people who were StayWell employees who said they wish they would have known it was such a poor company before they applied. Ditto.

Bleak future ahead

I worked at StayWell Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good intended people overall and company overall purpose of helping people with their health is wonderful.

Cons

Lack of strong leadership with full understanding of where the company wants to go. This creates a lot of meaningless work, as departments are set to work on projects for months to then later be told to drop everything and go a different route.

Take some hard time to determine where you want to take the company before going to the different departments and making changes.

Struggling organization

I worked at StayWell Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dedicated people who are strong supporters of product and wellness programs.

Cons

-- lack of adequate resources from parent company (MediMedia) and investors to deliver products that can compete in the market place with low barriers to entry and multiple competitors
    -- constant top management changes get in way of achieving longer term goals
    -- living in 19th century technology (see 1st bullet)
    -- non-competitive employment proposition for employes -- poor benefits in comparison to similar sized organizations ... And continually chipping away and offering less and less; stopped 401k match

-- invest or divest this organization ... Otherwise, it will die on vine without ability to compete or deliver products/services

Company does not seem to work well with applying vision and values to actual work processes.

I worked at StayWell Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company and upper leadership do try to promote positive organizational values; nice work/life balance and flexibility in work schedule with a lot of opportunity for remote work.

Cons

Resistance from upper leadership to stand firm on applying changes, resulting in staff anxiety and more importantly, poor outcomes; pay and medical benefits are below market.

I would suggest upper management do more to lead the organization on actual applied changes, rather than simply paining a pretty picture of vision and values.

Not sure about the future of this company

I worked at StayWell Health full-time

Pros

Lots of talented people with good intentions to do a good job. Flexible scheduling.

Cons

Company does not seem to know where it is going and will move one way for awhile then shift. This leads to a lot of frustration and a lot of wasted resources.

Do not allow the company to spend time and money on something until you have truly thought it through.

Employees Don't Matter!

I worked at StayWell Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the employees are hard-working professionals. Due to the nature of the company, they offer an engaging, incentive-based wellness program. Some chances for advancement if you are the right person.

Cons

Sadly, the most qualified people are typically NOT the people who get advanced! The hardest working, most qualified people are overlooked because they are also some of the most senior employees who would command the highest pay. Unqualified people are continually promoted into positions that they have no business being in - the clients are the ones who are hurt. Seasoned employees have also been replaced by whoever will accept the lowest pay, and quality has suffered.

The company stifles creativity and innovation from employees who actually have the desire to contribute. The needs of clients are not what matters to this company; they are driven by profit and revenue growth. They continually make decisions to meet unrealistic numbers. The results are reorganizations and layoffs so the bottom line looks better than it actually is. The writing is on the wall - money is all that matters to this aging company, which is struggling to play keep-up with newer, more innovative companies.

Stop treating your employees like they are interchangeable cogs in a machine. Start communicating with your employees. The amount of VP's and upper management in this company is ridiculous - for your next reorganization, start from the top! Step into the current times for your employees. The most innovative companies allow telecommuting. It seems the only ones who are allowed to telecommute are again, upper management.

StayWell used to be great, now new leadership is sinking the ship

I worked at StayWell Health

Pros

focus on health and helping others

Cons

new leadership has changed the organization for the worse

Employees want to be involved and know how to advance the organization. Communicate.

Very management heavy, constant reorgs, too many incompetent people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I have been working at StayWell Health

Pros

It's an easy drive. Many people are nice to work with. There are some very smart people (generally not in management).

Cons

There are far, far too many managers at Staywell. Many people have simply been there a long time and have ended up in management.

Management is very chaotic. It's constantly in react mode often due to bad decisions made in the past.

Currently, a new management team has taken over (none of which live in MN). They all fly in and out weekly and are simply there to prep the company to be sold (after which they'll be gone).

Staywell is constantly cutting back (except in mgt travel expenses) and giving more and more work t to the remaining employees.

Take your management title and see if anyone else will hire you and give you the same title. The fact they won't should tell you about why you're in management.

StayWell Health Photos