StayWell Health Reviews

1. OK job, several pitfalls

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at StayWell Health

Pros

Good people, Some advancement possible.

Cons

Poor systems, Micromanagement and not enough time devoted to tasks causing errors

Get out on the floor!

2. Good company to work for.

I have been working at StayWell Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people and flexible schedule

Cons

Outdated systems also poor benefits

Everyone is leaving, nobody communicates, pay is not worth all the work. Things are not getting any better

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Eagan, MN

I have been working at StayWell Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company Kitchen, can be flexible,

Cons

Upper management not talking, teams having no idea what the other team does.

Treat everyone equally.

Overworked and underpaid but virtual options a plus

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at StayWell Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Direct management and teammate support was pleasant and rewarding. Ability to work virtually also a perk.

Cons

Benefits awful, leadership rarely backs or encourages operational support teams, serious lack of change management skills and opportunities to advance. The tight-knit cliques within the organization make for a very "high school like" vibe.

Extreme micromanagement.

I worked at StayWell Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free water.

Some give aways for cups/etc.Some friendships made.

Cons

Entire department is or has already gone the way of having no FTE's and having everyone be from a temp agency. Cheaper for them, easier to fire rather than train well.

Your life and time is measured, VERY strictly.

Part 1:

The company promotes health improvement outside and inside the company. Drinking enough water "Campaigns" and eating X amount of meals/foods. Yet you are told you can’t go to the bathroom except on a scheduled break or you are stealing company time. Literally getting up to pee, that’s stealing unless on one of your two, 15 minute breaks/lunch.

More than one employee quit because they were trying to drink more water then told NOT to use the bathroom so much.

Management looked closely at the OSHA laws in order to adhere to this: “The employer may not impose unreasonable restrictions on employee use of the facilities.”
    This is interpreted as the two 15 minute breaks/lunch or if you get a letter from a doctor saying you may need to urinate more than twice in an 8 hour period, they cut your
    15 minute breaks into 5 minute breaks, on the hour, every hour. Your lunch can be adjusted as well if you need more time. Your choice.

Part 2:
    The department became crazy about time stealing to an extreme.
    They will not let you work through your break and earn a little extra time/OT.
    Software was installed monitor on the computers to watch/record you as you work (claim it’s for training.)
    ---Pro tip, open up your bank account/medical login website and have it on at random times while you work and they can’t record you/look as it is some kind of privacy issue (go figure!)
    Phone calls were/are recorded as well.

As for the work, you can become a subject matter expert in all companies/information, be the person people look to for answers if they need help/clarification (essentially a Lead/supervisor) and you are still a lowly uneducated kid that will be treated accordingly.

The answering of the phone calls is mind numbing. I was surfing the watching movies on my IPOD, web, reading news, facebooking, etc while “helping” people with the easy password unlocks and questions they had regarding program information.

Advancement leans towards women.
    If you are a man, tough luck. The company prefers 9 out of 10 times to advance females.

Read a book on maturity and respect for your fellow humans.

Behind in the field of wellness, un-ethical, treats employees poorly, extremely high turn-over.

I worked at StayWell Health full-time

Pros

It was close to my house.

Cons

This environment will remind you of high school. After working there for almost 1 year I didn't know more than 10 peoples names. By managers and coworkers alike, you will be ignored, feel the cliques, be talked about behind your back, and told you aren't good enough. If you stand up for yourself, you will be written up, and told you are disrespectful for looking out for your own well-being. I was bullied and tag-teamed by my manager and account manager for hours each week.

I did not receive training at any point of my employment. I rarely could get my manager and account manager on the phone when I needed them. They would tell me they were busy working, to later find out they were playing with their children and their dogs, going shopping, going to the zoo, etc. When they did answer, I was told to ask other people for the answers and/or training by walking around the building and asking random people to help me. I talked to my account manager and manager less than 1 hour per week, I was told the account manager was supposed to be available up to 5 hours per week. After I stood up for myself I was getting yelled at for a minimum of 2 hours per week.

Working 60 hours a week is normal, unless you work in the call center or you work from home.

StayWell disrespects the client by not giving the client what they ask for and paid for. All of StayWell's products/programs are out of date (from the 90's) and they make excuses for not improving them. They fool the clients into buying the programs and the clients are fully disappointed. I was told to lie to the client, repeatedly, so StayWell didn't have to acknowledge the mistakes of managers, directors, product development, account managers, IT, HR, marketing, and call centers. At company wide meetings, all employees are told to lie to the clients. StayWell admits to employees and clients (after clients are disappointed in StayWell) that StayWell is not up-to-time in employee wellness. There was not any proof that StayWell has intent to improve their programs either. At the last all employee meeting we were told that StayWell does not know what it's own culture of wellness is yet, but it will be good when they figure it out, StayWell has been around for 35 years. Does that tell you anything?

The health insurance is terrible, they admit it at company wide meetings.

I quit, much like the other people who leave in swarms. It's not uncommon for up 4 people to quit on the same day, many did not have other employment lined up. I run into people who were StayWell employees who said they wish they would have known it was such a poor company before they applied. Ditto.

8. Health Coach Review....an average job

Former Employee - Health Coach in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Health Coach in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at StayWell Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Able to choose day or evening hours. Eventually worked from home.
    Other coaches were fabulous coworkers. Very supportive to each other.

Cons

Low pay, for very highly qualified coaches, therapists.
    A draining job because of having to stay within "script" provided by company.
    Managers not very happy and it showed. The stress trickled down the line.

Allow the coaches to go of script and do real coaching. Practice health and wellness internally.

9. Bleak future ahead

I worked at StayWell Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good intended people overall and company overall purpose of helping people with their health is wonderful.

Cons

Lack of strong leadership with full understanding of where the company wants to go. This creates a lot of meaningless work, as departments are set to work on projects for months to then later be told to drop everything and go a different route.

Take some hard time to determine where you want to take the company before going to the different departments and making changes.

10. Struggling organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at StayWell Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dedicated people who are strong supporters of product and wellness programs.

Cons

-- lack of adequate resources from parent company (MediMedia) and investors to deliver products that can compete in the market place with low barriers to entry and multiple competitors
    -- constant top management changes get in way of achieving longer term goals
    -- living in 19th century technology (see 1st bullet)
    -- non-competitive employment proposition for employes -- poor benefits in comparison to similar sized organizations ... And continually chipping away and offering less and less; stopped 401k match

-- invest or divest this organization ... Otherwise, it will die on vine without ability to compete or deliver products/services

Company does not seem to work well with applying vision and values to actual work processes.

I worked at StayWell Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company and upper leadership do try to promote positive organizational values; nice work/life balance and flexibility in work schedule with a lot of opportunity for remote work.

Cons

Resistance from upper leadership to stand firm on applying changes, resulting in staff anxiety and more importantly, poor outcomes; pay and medical benefits are below market.

I would suggest upper management do more to lead the organization on actual applied changes, rather than simply paining a pretty picture of vision and values.

StayWell Health Photos