Steak n Shake
www.steaknshake.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Steak n Shake Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
Steak n Shake – “Classic!”

Steak n Shake Chairman and CEO Sardar Biglari

Sardar Biglari

Pros:
  • "great career starter, lots of room to move up, and work around a flexible schedule"
    in 20 reviews
  • "As general manager you make schedule with few specific requirements"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long long hours No personal life what so ever"
    in 21 reviews
  • "The back of the house staff works very hard for not much more than minimum wage, the hourly workers max out at 9"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Corporate has no care at all for people working in the restaurant

Production Associate (Current Employee)
    Saint Peters, MO

ProsSometimes co-workers make the job bearable
    Flexible hours

ConsInconsistent employee review system
    Lack of raises for employees whom are deserving

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the CEO
    Care about your employees from the bottom up

Overworked and underpaid.

Drive-Thru Operator (Current Employee)
    Oakwood, GA

ProsIf you actually work hard and learn several stations you have the opportunity to become an assistant manager or more. If you put in for your time off enough in advance it's almost a guarantee you will get it. Scheduling around my availability was almost never a problem, they were very accommodating in that aspect.

ConsLow pay, fewer hours (as to avoid paying insurance and etc), an insane workload, extremely high expectations. The managers do play favorites, even if they deny it. They did not try hard enough or discipline those who were lazy and neglected their work. Don't expect any recognition from upper management, though. You are expected to not only do your station, but often another as well. I started out at the Drive Thru, but quickly had to jump between the dressing table and my own station just to get the food moving.

Advice to Senior Management40% off of food, and only when you're working? That's one of the worst perks I've ever heard of. Please show your hardworking employees some recognition! It honestly makes a world of difference.

Mislead at start of job.

Dishwasher (Current Employee)

ProsThey offer training programs and good pay supposedly.

ConsI was under the impression that I was hired as a server (it was the only position I applied for) and was told to start training in the dish room during my first day of training. They've received a copy of my resume and I clearly stated that I was graduating from a business school that month. I've received that degree and am currently placed in the BOH. I feel overqualified for a position I was able to earn before enrolling at a 4-year school.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managers can be inconsiderate for BOH employees. No set schedule, lack of proper equipment, training, and general support. I was hoping to get some training as a server and work my way up to a manager-in-training position. Instead, they brought me to one or two training sessions and pointed me to work in the dishroom close to the day of opening
    ALSO*: My girlfriend's 51/2 weeks pregnant and am going back to a dishwashing position at age 30. This seems a little unethical from my standpoint of view.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

lack of concern for employees

Emplyee (Current Employee)
    Springfield, MO

Prosyou get a great discount while on the job working.

ConsThe round the clock work schedule all the time never anytime to do school work or anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust to be more considerate of there employee's

Great co-workers...Not so great management!

Prep (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsI liked the co workers and the job itself was ok.

ConsNot enough hours/training. I would have liked to learn more stations, but I was always hurried after prep work was done to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you have people in place to keep everything running smoothly.

Great place to work!

Waitress (Current Employee)
    Covington, LA

ProsNice people. Reasonable pay. Great benefits.

ConsSometimes customers will become impatient while waiting.

Advice to Senior ManagementNoting. It is great as is.

I love it.

Cashier/Server (Current Employee)
    Biloxi, MS

ProsVery flexible schedule, close to home, paying for school, meeting new people, fair manager, customers are nice and friendly. Never a dull moment, Love the people I work with

ConsWith it being a new store the tips aren't that great right now, but im sure they will pick up soon. Sometimes we get the occasional drunk due to being in the Casino.

Middle of the road

Manager (Current Employee)
    Frankfort, KY

ProsManager refuses to hire at minimum wage, great for turnover. This job allowed me to leave a General Manager position where I was constantly stressed out with a company that was abusive to its salaried management. I actually have a lower title, but make more per year. Yes, the bonuses are small, but they are abundant and much more easily attained. Someone else complained about two being fired in two months; with a full new management staff in the past six months, we have cycled eighteen employees, and our numbers, store moral, and management stress level have greatly improved. The right staff makes all the difference.Lots of room for promotion.

ConsSome company policies are outdated. Need a revamp in uniforms. Could use to loosen up on station layouts. While I understand the reasoning, what works at one store/volume may not work at another. Training for servers needs to be realigned, the amount of paperwork is outrageous.

Advice to Senior ManagementSteak and Shake is all about maintaining that classic look and feel. That does not mean all policies have to live in the stone age.

work hard no pay

N/A (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsNone the company has the worst offerings ever heard of and they can't figure out how to offer that.

ConsChallenges are every thing changes on a dime then everyone is mad about what they don't know

Advice to Senior Managementfigure out who works for your company.

The worst company I have ever worked for.

Waitress (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

Pros-Decent food for cheap, and good employee discounts.
    -Best shakes you can get.
    -You had some wiggle-room with your schedule as far as students were concerned.
    -The restaurant had somewhat of a classic feel which was nice, I even enjoyed my penguin uniform.

ConsI have never seen a group of more incompetent managers in my entire life. They couldn't control their turnover because they would either run their employees into the ground and make them quit, or the good ones would go somewhere with better pay.
    Employees were expected to provide a full service dining experience on minimum wage, and the tips were poor at best.
    They would never have enough staff to handle the clients at night. My location was minutes away from the biggest club scene in Tampa, but they would only have one cook and one server on overnight. We'd have a full restaurant and drive thru and the manager would hide in the back and watch me and one other guy try and help 50 or so drunks on camera(I know she was watching because I went back to ask her for help and that's what she was doing, of course she said she was too busy to come up front), I'd have clients get mad and leave because it was taking so long.
    - They're so worried about numbers and bureaucracy that the business is almost paralyzed. Hours need to be minimal, but drive thru times need to be under 2 minutes or the cooks get reprimanded. My cook was so worried about his drive-thru time that I would have to go in the back and make my own food for all of my tables. BOH and FOH would turn against eachother completely. And instead of lowering the standards, calling in more employees or, god forbid, having the MANAGER come upfront to assist, they would watch the cameras and berate us for not providing good service and looking stressed out. Because if their numbers weren't perfect, they would get in trouble by district.
    - I have never in my life been expected to perform so much sidework in so little time. After having the restaurant completely destroyed from 10pm to 6am, they thought it was possible to have the entire restaurant back to sparkling by 7am. Including, but not limited to: deck-scrubbing the floors is sections each night, cleaning the bathrooms, cleaning the milkshake machine and soda fountain, bleaching and scrubbing the tables and chairs, making kid set-ups, moving all the tables so I could sweep and mop the whole restaurant, and did I mention that the server on night shift was expected to do all the dishes and clean the dishroom? In less than an hour. And if, for some reason, I didn't have it all done by the time first shift came in, they would expect me to finish off the clock.
    -The work-place is filled with such disdain from all fronts. 1st shift hates 3rd, 2nd hates 1st, 3rd hates 2nd. Everyone hates BOH, BOH hates everyone. Management hates their employees, and their employees hate them. And I'm not talking standard, "oh you need to do your job". It's absolutely horrible what they would do to eachother, all because everyone felt they were stretched so thin.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy location is the perfect example of why your CEOs way of doing things does not work. We did business at odd times because of our location, we had special circumstances that made your way of doing things impossible. Yet, instead of changing your policies for that location and all of the locations in that district that had similar issues, you decided it would be more effective to crack the whip over and over until it got done. Even though you went through a 3rd shift server every 2 months, even though your high school employees were breaking down into tears, even though your manager was seen yelling at an employee for not bringing ketchup to a table when she had 12 tables(and customers were vocally disgusted by the managers reaction), even though you have customers leave every night because they can't get their food and drinks quickly enough, even though your glass door rating has been about 2 stars in the last 3 or 4 years... You still don't want to fix your problems. What kind of advice can I give a company that so clearly falling apart, yet so clearly wants to keep using the same methods?
    You are a business that deserves to fail.

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Steak n Shake reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Steak n Shake CEO Sardar Biglari. All 292 reviews posted anonymously by Steak n Shake employees.