Steak n Shake
www.steaknshake.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Steak n Shake Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014
Steak n Shake – “Classic!”

Steak n Shake Chairman and CEO Sardar Biglari

Sardar Biglari

Pros:
  • "great career starter, lots of room to move up, and work around a flexible schedule"
    in 20 reviews
  • "As general manager you make schedule with few specific requirements"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long long hours No personal life what so ever"
    in 21 reviews
  • "The back of the house staff works very hard for not much more than minimum wage, the hourly workers max out at 9"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Too much work for the money

General Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsEarly opportunities for promotion, company is constantly growing, wings team provides an early opportunity to travel for work at steak n shake's expense.

ConsLow pay. High work expectation. Low bonuses for salary. 28 hour a week maximum to most hourly associates due to the company not wanting to pay for insurance for full-time associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was a salaried internal promotes manager. I started as nothing but a Drive Thru Operator and within a year I was promoted to the hourly manager position of Operations Supervisor. Getting this promotion so quickly was a good opportunity to get me near management without a college education or previous management experience but after I accepted a salary position I felt why it was probably so easy to get up to that point. Internally promotion managers are offered less money than external and I felt that was because they knew most of us would agree to almost any salaried amount of money after being almost at minimum wage for so long. They also give you a scheduled 50 hours a week even though it says 40 in the job description. And if you're working at a 24/7 restaurant you can be sure that 50 will come out close to 60 without any extra pay. After the 28 hour a week rule came into effect you are also expected to run the same kind of performance with less associates. Also the lss labor system that Steak 'n Shake runs off of assures you that you will almost always have either too little or too many people working and that will account for a lot of complaints. I don't know one store that is functioning perfectly. I just feel it's too much work than you get paid for. After 6 months in the salary position I decided I was going to leave and start from scratch somewhere else.

Steak 'n Shake wants to provide people with an experience that is definitely higher quality than fast food but allows people to pay less than that of mcdonalds and Burger King. So basically the company as a whole is making less money to work harder., just to consistently get complaints to blame their managers on. And expect to work holidays, including Christmas, a full 10 hour shift minimum.

The district manager was not truthful in my interview and there is a severe lack of development and fairness.

Manager (Former Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsThe salary is not too bad and there is a lot of opportunities to earn quarterly bonus.

ConsBenefits, schedule flexibility, running shifts as a manager from an associate position, voice is not heard, no innovation encouraged, etc.

It could have been better. Not effecient work.

Grill Cook (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsYou can climb up the ladder easily from within the company. Employees get a 40% discount. It's an easy job to do.

ConsTraining is simple but the work load is hard. A good employee will be used and run ragged. Beware of your store manager. They dictate your future promotions and/or raises. Managers will throw their employees under the bus and in front of a train instead of own up to their short comings and mistakes. At first the job is awesome but then the wheels fall off and you see how little you are valued as a person. They REQUIRED all employees to work at least 5 hours on Christmas of 2013. That is ridiculous! They also do not let anyone other than management work more than 28 hours so that they don't have to pay for health insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so cheap and show your employees that you care about them in all aspects.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay Away

General Manager (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThere really aren't many pros. I would say it can get your foot in the door as far as management goes, but don't think this is a career.

ConsThe company is headed for a major failing.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to get your feet wet in management this could be for you. I would not recommend anyone leave a position for this one.

Manager

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCompany constantly growing. Room for advancement.

ConsCompany over the last couple of years seem unorganized. Could be just my district. But its been bad for years.

General Manager

General Manager (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsLove dealing with people stay busy most of the time don't even realize time pass by

ConsLong long hours No personal life what so ever

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to raise the salaries compare the time and hard work Managers go through salaries are much lesser then that making them happy means guests happy and if they happy everybody happy :)

Manager In Training

ProsThe money is ok in management if you don't mind 60 hours per week

ConsWork life balance is non existent. Truly this location was an absolute top to bottom mess.

crazy hours

Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Round Rock, TX

Prosif you are looking for 50 plus hours this is for you.

Constrainers dont get paid enough and always understaffed, serevers have to work drive thru under service rate.
    manipultive managers. no checks and balances to make sure employees are treated fairly.

Advice to Senior Managementwatch your stores better!

easy to get, kind of a trap

Server (Former Employee)

Proseasy to get hired (they will literally take just about anyone), lots of hours available. you can make okay money as a server or a trainer and the training is ok.

Consminimum wage, no raises, the service honestly kind of sucks and any employee will admit it. never get a big order through the drive-thru. will exploit your hours. absolutely no sick days.

Fast paced, heavy lifting, and minimal staff.

Fry/Fountain (Current Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsPay. Thats about it and the people who did work there.

ConsBarely any breaks. Minimal staff, crazy demand for product. Cook line

Advice to Senior ManagementHope you can last. High turnover for everyone involved in the business.

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Steak n Shake reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Steak n Shake CEO Sardar Biglari. All 291 reviews posted anonymously by Steak n Shake employees.