Steak n Shake

www.steaknshake.com

Steak n Shake Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Steak n Shake – “Classic!”

Steak n Shake Chairman and CEO Sardar Biglari

Sardar Biglari

Pros
  • great career starter, lots of room to move up, and work around a flexible schedule(in 20 reviews)

• As general manager you make schedule with few specific requirements(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Long long hours No personal life what so ever(in 22 reviews)

• The back of the house staff works very hard for not much more than minimum wage, the hourly workers max out at 9(in 19 reviews)

Too much work for the money

General Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsEarly opportunities for promotion, company is constantly growing, wings team provides an early opportunity to travel for work at steak n shake's expense.

ConsLow pay. High work expectation. Low bonuses for salary. 28 hour a week maximum to most hourly associates due to the company not wanting to pay for insurance for full-time associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was a salaried internal promotes manager. I started as nothing but a Drive Thru Operator and within a year I was promoted to the hourly manager position of Operations Supervisor. Getting this promotion so quickly was a good opportunity to get me near management without a college education or previous management experience but after I accepted a salary position I felt why it was probably so easy to get up to that point. Internally promotion managers are offered less money than external and I felt that was because they knew most of us would agree to almost any salaried amount of money after being almost at minimum wage for so long. They also give you a scheduled 50 hours a week even though it says 40 in the job description. And if you're working at a 24/7 restaurant you can be sure that 50 will come out close to 60 without any extra pay. After the 28 hour a week rule came into effect you are also expected to run the same kind of performance with less associates. Also the lss labor system that Steak 'n Shake runs off of assures you that you will almost always have either too little or too many people working and that will account for a lot of complaints. I don't know one store that is functioning perfectly. I just feel it's too much work than you get paid for. After 6 months in the salary position I decided I was going to leave and start from scratch somewhere else.

Steak 'n Shake wants to provide people with an experience that is definitely higher quality than fast food but allows people to pay less than that of mcdonalds and Burger King. So basically the company as a whole is making less money to work harder., just to consistently get complaints to blame their managers on. And expect to work holidays, including Christmas, a full 10 hour shift minimum.

The district manager was not truthful in my interview and there is a severe lack of development and fairness.

Manager (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsThe salary is not too bad and there is a lot of opportunities to earn quarterly bonus.

ConsBenefits, schedule flexibility, running shifts as a manager from an associate position, voice is not heard, no innovation encouraged, etc.

Stay Away

General Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThere really aren't many pros. I would say it can get your foot in the door as far as management goes, but don't think this is a career.

ConsThe company is headed for a major failing.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to get your feet wet in management this could be for you. I would not recommend anyone leave a position for this one.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

easy to get, kind of a trap

Server (Former Employee)

Proseasy to get hired (they will literally take just about anyone), lots of hours available. you can make okay money as a server or a trainer and the training is ok.

Consminimum wage, no raises, the service honestly kind of sucks and any employee will admit it. never get a big order through the drive-thru. will exploit your hours. absolutely no sick days.

Hourly Associate - Pretty Much What You'd Expect

Production (Former Employee)

ProsWorked as an hourly employee makin grub. No real pros honestly, just a way to make a buck or two. I guess if a 30% food discount really lights your lamp then this is the place to be.

ConsHad a manager quit in the middle of a shift one night
    2 employees were fired in 2 months of working there
    No benefits for hourlies; very strict on food leakage at my location
    Wound up working dish, fountain, and prep. When I got done with that, I was cleaning ceilings, pipes, the freezers, and the parking lot. Earned every cent of that $7.25

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand management doesn't care about their hourlies, but I wonder if promoting better would improve workflow at locations. Our managers were either quitting or smoking pot, how do you expect the site to run well?

Fast paced, heavy lifting, and minimal staff.

Fry/Fountain (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsPay. Thats about it and the people who did work there.

ConsBarely any breaks. Minimal staff, crazy demand for product. Cook line

Advice to Senior ManagementHope you can last. High turnover for everyone involved in the business.

Too many people chasing too few shifts.

Waiter (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsPeople have been great to work with.

ConsManager stressed most of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave realiatic expectations of restaurant managers.

Worst company on the planet. Stay away!

General Manager (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThey will hire anyone. Great way to get a paycheck. Nearly impossible to get fired, lots of worthless people that will never get fired because the company is constantly short handed. Opportunity for uneducated people to get into management.

ConsMicromanagement from every level. 5 10 hour shifts always turn into 12 hours or more. No quality of life, horrible benefits, no respect for hard work, crazy stressful, unrealistic goals, outdated computer software, impossible to bonus, high turnover, always short handed. Pointless paperwork, poor leadership, no direction, coupons everywhere, negative reinforcement. Upper management uses fear to motivate you. In 10 years I had 11 different district managers. Most managers quit within the first month. Please, if you have any choice at all find something else. This company does not care about its employees.
    Plan on working Christmas, they are now open on that day. There is money to be made that day, hate to miss an opportunity to sell some steakburgers!
    Sardar is a heartless CEO that only cares about his assets and stocks. I once heard him on a conference call say that we, as employees, should never want to leave work and that we should always put Steak 'n Shake first in our priorities.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employees, forget the almighty dollar. Close on Christmas!

Server

Server (Former Employee) Athens, GA

ProsGood hours. Can be fun.

ConsOverworked but I made some friends.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Concept & Good Brand

ConsTop Management Micro Management Culture

Advice to Senior ManagementMore autonomy for lower field operation management to make decisions.

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!