Steak n Shake Reviews

Reset
2.2
Steak n Shake Chairman and CEO Sardar Biglari
Sardar Biglari

Pros
  • It was a good first job: flexible schedule and mostly great co-workers (in 22 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, nice employees, discounted food when on the clock, make good tips (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long long hours No personal life what so ever (in 25 reviews)

• The back of the house staff works very hard for not much more than minimum wage, the hourly workers max out at 9 (in 19 reviews)

Pay is good however turnover is high and you will be overworked

Former Employee - District Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - District Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady paycheck, affordable insurance, paid vacation. There is a great family atmosphere in the restaurants. The training program is comprehensive.

Cons

No work life balance, disconnect between corporate office and store level, culture in the corporate office is abusive. Always short staffed because the hourly employees are underpaid and noone sticks around.

Advice to Management

Company needs a cultural change where people are valued as much as results.

2. Great times but the bad times outweigh the great.

Former Employee - General Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is great. Easy to be promoted to management due to desperation. The staff you've build a relationship with you are loyal. Once in awhile you'll have a great district manager, the best was from Chicago.

Cons

Always short staff due to the "30" hour rule. Pay for employees were a slap in the face for all the work we put on them. Being open 24 hours all year round for the most part sucks. Most people quit during holiday times. Servers were always the hardest to keep due to the third shift being unsupervised due to high turnover on management. Assistant managers have no life and are mostly weak when it comes to running a Steak 'n Shake. Training is a joke for managers and employees. Company gives you less than 40 hours a period to train a new employees when you have a high turnover, and this is company wide. High turnover in upper mgmt. went through six district managers and four division president. If you want family life place is not for you. Goals are unreasonable without the support of a great DM or assistant managers.

Advice to Management

Hire more district managers in bad ran areas and split the district up and add the support to these GM's. We have been crying for help for 5 years.

Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time

Pros

Local location in a small-town environment. Training program is comprehensive. Large base of human resources available for hiring associates. Potential for growth is strong.

Cons

Although this company provides extensive training, they do not support management when they are assigned to their store. It is extremely difficult to keep employees and managers. High turnover. Managers are constantly running shifts short staffed and engaged in positions when they should be managing shifts.

Advice to Management

Hire more managers and provide support after their training.

The district manager was not truthful in my interview and there is a severe lack of development and fairness.

Former Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary is not too bad and there is a lot of opportunities to earn quarterly bonus.

Cons

Benefits, schedule flexibility, running shifts as a manager from an associate position, voice is not heard, no innovation encouraged, etc.

Please Read If You Are Considering A Management Position With Steak N Shake

Former Employee - General Manager in Louisville, KY

Pros

Weekly Meetings at offsite locations working with some nice people Learning about the restaurant industry Free meals for managers learn how to deal with drama

Cons

Stress level of gigantic proportions Impossible goals set by corporate Absolutely no home life open 24/7 makes for phone calls at home at all hours of the night What can I say I have been a retail manager for over 25 years. I decided to try the restaurant industry as a new learning experience and as a change of pace. What a huge mistake that was. I don't even know whre to begin. I was a GM for 1 year. It was a one year nightmare. While I had my store running 12 to 13 out of a possible 14 points every month, I hated every minute of it. The lowest class customers imaginable, employees that had more personal issues than enough and managers that felt that there was no life outside of SNS' Even on days off you were expected to be checking your numbers and calling your store. I couldn't sleep or eat because of the stress. Third shift was a nightmare. Could not find decent help and our reestaurant was very busy on third shift. Losing out on great new people because of a small tatoos that was visible. Assistant managers that are lazy and incompetent. Could not do the job because you are asked to work busiest hours, so there was no time for an sort of logistical tasks to be completed , unless you did them from home. Restauraants should be kept clean, but when you are busy all the time there is no time to clean In my honest opinion, I would rather be unemployed and homeless, than accept a managers position at SNS By the way SNS needs to rethink their scare tactic of just be lucky to be employedI had a new job back in retail 3 days after leaving SNS, for the same money and 1000% less stress

Advice to Management

Corporate need to realize that in order to properly run a business you must be given the appropriate tools. Those tools are people. Close restaurants at a reasonable hour' Even the stores that are busy. The stress level to run 24/7 is not worth the profit

RSS Feed </> Embed