Steak n Shake

Updated October 12, 2014
2.3

Steak n Shake Chairman and CEO Sardar Biglari
Sardar Biglari

Pros
  • Great co-workers, flexible schedule, nicely renovated offices (in 22 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, nice employees, discounted food when on the clock, make good tips (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers work long hours and are more likely than not working more hours than they will be paid (in 24 reviews)

• The back of the house staff works very hard for not much more than minimum wage, the hourly workers max out at 9 (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time

Pros

Local location in a small-town environment. Training program is comprehensive. Large base of human resources available for hiring associates. Potential for growth is strong.

Cons

Although this company provides extensive training, they do not support management when they are assigned to their store. It is extremely difficult to keep employees and managers. High turnover. Managers are constantly running shifts short staffed and engaged in positions when they should be managing shifts.

Hire more managers and provide support after their training.

The district manager was not truthful in my interview and there is a severe lack of development and fairness.

Former Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The salary is not too bad and there is a lot of opportunities to earn quarterly bonus.

Cons

Benefits, schedule flexibility, running shifts as a manager from an associate position, voice is not heard, no innovation encouraged, etc.

Please Read If You Are Considering A Management Position With Steak N Shake

Former Employee - General Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - General Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Steak n Shake

Pros

Weekly Meetings at offsite locations
    working with some nice people
    Learning about the restaurant industry
    Free meals for managers
    learn how to deal with drama

Cons

Stress level of gigantic proportions
    Impossible goals set by corporate
    Absolutely no home life
    open 24/7 makes for phone calls at home at all hours of the night
    What can I say I have been a retail manager for over 25 years. I decided to try the restaurant industry as a new learning experience and as a change of pace.
    What a huge mistake that was. I don't even know whre to begin. I was a GM for 1 year. It was a one year nightmare. While I had my store running 12 to 13 out of a possible 14 points every month, I hated every minute of it.
    The lowest class customers imaginable, employees that had more personal issues than enough and managers that felt that there was no life outside of SNS'
    Even on days off you were expected to be checking your numbers and calling your store. I couldn't sleep or eat because of the stress. Third shift was a nightmare. Could not find decent help and our reestaurant was very busy on third shift.
    Losing out on great new people because of a small tatoos that was visible.
    Assistant managers that are lazy and incompetent.
    Could not do the job because you are asked to work busiest hours, so there was no time for an sort of logistical tasks to be completed , unless you did them from home. Restauraants should be kept clean, but when you are busy all the time there is no time to clean
    In my honest opinion, I would rather be unemployed and homeless, than accept a managers position at SNS
    By the way SNS needs to rethink their scare tactic of just be lucky to be employedI had a new job back in retail 3 days after leaving SNS, for the same money and 1000% less stress

Corporate need to realize that in order to properly run a business you must be given the appropriate tools. Those tools are people. Close restaurants at a reasonable hour' Even the stores that are busy. The stress level to run 24/7 is not worth the profit

Steak n Shake Photos