Steak n Shake

Updated September 17, 2014
2.4

Steak n Shake Chairman and CEO Sardar Biglari
Sardar Biglari

Pros
  • great career starter, lots of room to move up, and work around a flexible schedule (in 20 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, nice employees, discounted food when on the clock, make good tips (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long long hours No personal life what so ever (in 22 reviews)

• The back of the house staff works very hard for not much more than minimum wage, the hourly workers max out at 9 (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good Start in UnitedStates

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time

Pros

Help to improve you management skills

Cons

affect on Your personal life

Good for a first job

Former Employee - Server  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Austin, TX

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy work and good earning potential for servers. It was a good first job: flexible schedule and mostly great co-workers. I had a couple of great managers, but the company failed to give them incentive to stay.

Cons

I always did way more work than I got paid for (acting as a floor manager, but getting paid a servers wage). They experience high turnover, especially for management. I went through more than 5 managers in 3 years. The employees knew more than management most of the time. I though it was a great place to work when I started, but it went downhill quickly. Now they have a hard time keeping good servers. Everyone moves on to better serving jobs after they get the hang of it.

No appreciation

Former Employee - Server  in  Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Server in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can make a lot of money as server...if it's busy and not too many servers on.

Cons

Management was always strung out due to overly demanding and ignorant DM. Seemed like all they cared about was getting no complaints, kissing the DMs butt, and saving hours. My guess is there was a big fat bonus hidden in over working their employees. Insane amount of favoritism at this location.

Listen to your employees and increase their pay. Bonuses for hourly employees, for reaching goals, could go a long way to improve morale when they are feeling overworked.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok place to work

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time for more than a year

Pros

they offer flexible hours and co workers are nice

Cons

low pay and very busy - particularly night shift

Great staff, the ones that pull their own weight!

I worked at Steak n Shake

Pros

Friendly business, good customers, lunch and dinner time rushes are the best money making times!

Cons

Servers that serve and do not take care of any behind the scene work. Cleaning up spills, taking dishes back or even busing their own tables!

Work on cleaninless

It has potential

Former Employee - Server  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Server in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I loved the people i worked with. I loved how customer service is important for them. About half the managers I worked for were decent

Cons

It needs to be a bit more cohesive, some managers need to be on the same page.

I would hire in managers that actually care about the stores growth, not just hire to fill a position

Restaurant managers had zero experience in a high volume setting.

Current Employee - Prep Cook  in  Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Prep Cook in Florence, KY

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, worked with good people, with the volume of restaurants the growth potential was there

Cons

Restaurant managers had zero experience in a high volume setting. The low-wages attracted fellow employees with minimal to no experience

Make promotions merit based, not tenure based.

I hate this place

Current Employee - Server  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time for less than a year

Pros

steady customers, good training, food is ok.

Cons

rude co workers, slow kitchen, servers are suppose to be the server, hostess, busser and dishwasher even during a huge rush. tips suck. drama, minors, bad supervisors, worst wait staff I've ever worked with.

quit

Corporate has unrealistic expectations

Former Employee - Server  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Server in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great for students who need evening shifts or will return for the summer when business picks up. Great for people who work two jobs and want to work odd hours. The employees who do last more than a few months are probably some of the hardest working and patient people you will ever meet.

Cons

Corporate sets unrealistic standards, especially considering their resistance to pay outside the very minimum, Bow tie employees deal with long, odd hours and few pay incentives, yet have to constantly meet high standards. Employee discounts on meals have been decreased each year rather than increased, and the uniform aprons have gone from solid to flimsy and easily breakable. While management is more than eager to reward customers who want a free meal to ensure future business, you would never ever ever expect corporate to offer anything of such kindness to employees. SNS is open on ALL holidays, and DOES NOT offer an increased pay to those working holidays, NOT even to those who work on Christmas. The turnover rate, understandably, is a few months. Managers work long hours and are more likely than not working more hours than they will be paid. It is not desirable to work at this company, most of the workers are there because they don't have another option. Lastly, it is absolutely disgusting that Steak N' Shake has never ever employed any form of recycling program. All paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, and food waste go to the same thing. This company has no other value that money in the management's pockets.

I would love it if the CEO and higher management spent a few weeks depending on the salary of a bowtie employee. I guarantee that getting paid $3 an hour as a waitress getting tips on meals that cost $4, SNS might consider 1.) raising the salary, or 2.) making the work environment more enjoyable. We are not robots, management.

Great atmosphere, loved the staff and loved working there.

Former Employee - Server  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Orlando, FL

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to relax and have a good time with friends and family.

Cons

You have to be used to always moving.

Nothing, you all are doing a great job!

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!