Steak n Shake Reviews

401 reviews filtered by
2.4
Steak n Shake Chairman and CEO Sardar Biglari
Sardar Biglari

Pros
  • Great co-workers, flexible schedule, nicely renovated offices (in 22 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, nice employees, discounted food when on the clock, make good tips (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers work long hours and are more likely than not working more hours than they will be paid (in 25 reviews)

• The back of the house staff works very hard for not much more than minimum wage, the hourly workers max out at 9 (in 19 reviews)

1. frustrating but good

Current Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Career growth and oppurtunity for self managment as long as you manage yourself wisely. Not a bad gig. good company overall

Cons

pay for what we deal with is not to what we think we deserve, unrealistic expectations at times as well as lots of micro management.

Advice to Management

get better District managers as well as lifting some of the unrealistic expectations and time demands on managers, allow us to pay employees there worth

2. never again

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time

Pros

You can eat, hours were decent

Cons

Poor management, bad work place environment

3. server,host,an made milk shakes

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Farmington, MO
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Farmington, MO

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time

Pros

love people,enjoy serving others an love the public.

Cons

not really any other than beign away from my family while at work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the Great work,always ,stay honest be true to your emepoyee'S an always follow the rules.

5. prep cook/ line cook

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greeley, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greeley, CO

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great food, really face pace,

Cons

rude, not giving really goof help

6. Third-Shift Server- usually the only server working overnight.

Former Employee - Third Shift Server in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Third Shift Server in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great first or part-time job. Fun work environment. The third shift employees were like a family. The food is good, so it is easy to sell and you have faithful regulars. It is almost fast-food so customers have low service expectations, meaning it was easy to impress them. A third-shift schedule meant that I never had to worry about work conflicting with my college class schedule.

Cons

The pay is not great. It is almost fast-food so some customers don't usually go out to nice places and don't know they should be tipping you. I worked thrid shift in a college town and drunk college kids are not very good tippers, but the breakfast regulars were great customers. Since it is a 24 hour restaurant, there is always a lot of cleaning to do and most of it is done by third-shift. It is nearly impossible to make one of their milkshakes without getting milkshake all over your uniform. They should take a page from the McDonald's McFlurry playbook and have disposable spoon paddles and dome shaped lids. When the clubs and bars get out it is usually complete craziness and no-stop motion from 2-4:00am with just the one overnight server, but the rest of the night is slow on service and mostly cleaning untill the early breakfast crowd arrives.

Advice to Management

Put up some kind of sign that explains tipping is customary when food is brought to your table, even if the food is just fries and a burger. Don't expect 3rd shirt to stay late if morning shift doesn't show. Schedule deep cleaning sessions during night shift with some help from daytime employees, so 3rd shift is not solely responsible for the cleanliness of the restaurant.

Great company

I worked at Steak n Shake

Pros

Good food steak burgers, milk shakes

Cons

Long hours no holidays, no insurance

8. Restaurant Manager

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teamwork and feels like family

Cons

No benefits and 6-day work weeks

Advice to Management

Give management 2 days off per week. Offer medical insurance and paid vacation!

9. Good High School job...nothing else

Former Employee - Food Server in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Food Server in Orlando, FL

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You'll gain good experience dealing with customers. The customers are the only reason I kept the job for so long. And the tips!! It's a good high school job, I would never work there for a career.

Cons

The biggest problem was the schedule and management. During my one year there, I had more than 10 different managers. They come in from the district and get swapped to different stores to gain more "experience". As an employee, it sucks. Every manager has a different way of doing things (strict about side work, doesn't care if you're late, etc), so every time a new one came you had to figure out their style before they left. Also, since managers make the schedule the schedule was always messed up. I worked there during high school and was always scheduled when I requested off, etc. SO annoying. Other coworkers didn't care about their job so I had a greater workload to make up for their lack of effort. No one wants to cover shifts, clean bathrooms, do the dirty work. That's management's fault. They didn't enforce side work or give incentives to be the employee you could be.

Advice to Management

The method for scheduling is terrible, it inherently incentives employees to call out. The rule is either get your shift covered or call out hours before. NO ONE wants to cover shifts. So many times I would request a day off (like Christmas day), get scheduled, and then no one would cover and then I would get penalized and reprimanded for my manager's failure to schedule correctly.

10. Can be chaotic but have encountered many good hard working people. enjoyed the people and co workers. will come back to

Current Employee - General Manager in Elizabethtown, KY
    Current Employee - General Manager in Elizabethtown, KY

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than a year)

Pros

benefits, salary, vacation time for management. Pretty steady work and always busy. Friendly repeat customers who are a joy to take care of.

Cons

can be extremely chaotic at times. can feel alot of stress from ill ran shifts creating stressful enviroment. but overall not so bad.

Advice to Management

corporate management is extremely clueless when it comes to store level day to day business. fix what you already have before you continue to open other stores that will fall into the same cycle.

11. Training General Manager

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time

Pros

Great people to work with! Regular guests are an added bonus

Cons

Above store leaders! Incompetent managers remain employed due to the points recieved for turnover

Steak n Shake Photos