Steak n Shake

Updated October 15, 2014
2.3

Steak n Shake Chairman and CEO Sardar Biglari
Sardar Biglari

Pros
  • Great co-workers, flexible schedule, nicely renovated offices (in 22 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, nice employees, discounted food when on the clock, make good tips (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers work long hours and are more likely than not working more hours than they will be paid (in 24 reviews)

• The back of the house staff works very hard for not much more than minimum wage, the hourly workers max out at 9 (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

It was cool

Former Employee - Waiter in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Waiter in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the people are great here, tips are cool, food was good as well I enjoyed it. Long shifts though, not enough down time for me.

Cons

the scheduling sucks. And it is like a revolving door of employees. As soon as you get to know someone they ship them out or they quit and it really sucks.

listen to employees

Production Trainer

Current Employee - Production Trainer in Bedford, IN
    Current Employee - Production Trainer in Bedford, IN

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay raise, that's about it, and it's not a big one.. you get a say on what goes on during the day on the line, which is cool and empowering..

Cons

more work, obviously.. i mean, it's cool, but nah, don't do it for four years like me..

get their stuff together, stop making everyone do stuff that's actually their job to begin with.. say we not you more often. makes things a little nicer.

both exasperating and rewarding

Current Employee - Thrird Shift Server in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Thrird Shift Server in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the people (both employees and customers) are great. I met so many amazing people working there. The hours are flexible and the tips were good.

Cons

it's very hard work. the benefits are limited at best. the corporate culture changed while I was there, and became less interested in the employees, and much more in the bottom line

Please pay more attention to your employees. It can't be all about the bottom line.

Great co-workers but terrible managemnet

Former Employee - Hostess in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Hostess in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really liked how the company liked to hire from within for upper management so even though I was working there part-time before I went to college, one of the regional managers asked me to come back and apply to a corporate job.

Cons

General management was generally very disorganized and definitely created an unhappy environment.

Please at least get the schedules straight. I didn't go one week without seeing a server crying in the back due to the shifts being understaffed.

Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time

Pros

Local location in a small-town environment. Training program is comprehensive. Large base of human resources available for hiring associates. Potential for growth is strong.

Cons

Although this company provides extensive training, they do not support management when they are assigned to their store. It is extremely difficult to keep employees and managers. High turnover. Managers are constantly running shifts short staffed and engaged in positions when they should be managing shifts.

Hire more managers and provide support after their training.

Very good Start in UnitedStates

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time

Pros

Help to improve you management skills

Cons

affect on Your personal life

Good for a first job

Former Employee - Server in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Austin, TX

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy work and good earning potential for servers. It was a good first job: flexible schedule and mostly great co-workers. I had a couple of great managers, but the company failed to give them incentive to stay.

Cons

I always did way more work than I got paid for (acting as a floor manager, but getting paid a servers wage). They experience high turnover, especially for management. I went through more than 5 managers in 3 years. The employees knew more than management most of the time. I though it was a great place to work when I started, but it went downhill quickly. Now they have a hard time keeping good servers. Everyone moves on to better serving jobs after they get the hang of it.

Ok place to work

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (more than an year)

Pros

they offer flexible hours and co workers are nice

Cons

low pay and very busy - particularly night shift

No appreciation

Former Employee - Server in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Server in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can make a lot of money as server...if it's busy and not too many servers on.

Cons

Management was always strung out due to overly demanding and ignorant DM. Seemed like all they cared about was getting no complaints, kissing the DMs butt, and saving hours. My guess is there was a big fat bonus hidden in over working their employees. Insane amount of favoritism at this location.

Listen to your employees and increase their pay. Bonuses for hourly employees, for reaching goals, could go a long way to improve morale when they are feeling overworked.

Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was happy to be a manager and there was lots of way to be promoted in the company. The training system set up is awesome.

Cons

Culture was all about themselves. They over worked you and then over worked you some more. If you want a life do not work here because you then will not have one unless you marry someone in the business with you. Worst year of my life.

Actually make you employees feel like you care about them. No holidays off and open everyday of the year. Looks to everyone that all of these restaurants stopped caring about employees and their families.

Steak n Shake Photos