Steak n Shake

www.steaknshake.com

Steak n Shake Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Steak n Shake – “Classic!”

Steak n Shake Chairman and CEO Sardar Biglari

Sardar Biglari

Pros
  • great career starter, lots of room to move up, and work around a flexible schedule(in 20 reviews)

• As general manager you make schedule with few specific requirements(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Long long hours No personal life what so ever(in 22 reviews)

• The back of the house staff works very hard for not much more than minimum wage, the hourly workers max out at 9(in 19 reviews)

Need better managers..Definitely need to make changes.

Server/Hostess (Current Employee) Burlington, NC

ProsYou can take vacation time whenever you want as long as you let them know a a few days ahead of time. Interview is not very long, you can start training and working almost immediately. You can make good tips if you work hard.

ConsLeaderships needs to change. Managers do not do their jobs very well, the schedule is all over the place..not enough structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better opportunities for raises. Need to replace managers.

Plenty of Opportunity

ProsVery many area locations, so there is a lot of room for growth. If you are a great Leader, you can get to the GM level quickly. It's only up to YOU.

ConsChallenging, 24 hours, ever changing menu and very fast paced.

FIne as a high school job

Server (Current Employee) Bolingbrook, IL

ProsI got to keep all tips and had pretty decent scheduling. Culture is nice assuming you are friends with everyone.

ConsSo much disorganization and favoritism. Way too many inappropriate relations and interactions between managers and employees. The district management is horrible. I was constantly doing way more than I supposed to be doing and always had to cross over into other areas to get stuff done.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe professional.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The concept of this business is what brings it down

Server (Current Employee)

Pros1. Well Rounded Front of the House Experience
    It is a great place to start off because as a server, you are literally doing EVERYTHING. You are a cashier, hostess, busser, and, of course, an actual server. Often times you might have to make your own shakes or food. If anyone was smart, they could use this experience and elaborate in an interview.

2. The Tips
    Also as a server you will usually make anywhere from $10 - $20 a hour with tips. Some nights will be bad, but for someone needing to just make some money it's better than working a similar job at minimum wage. So with someone with little experience you can probably get hired here and make decent money.

Cons1. Management
    MANAGEMENT is TERRIBLE. The assistant manager, who quit, was very temperamental and always yelling for no particular reason. She was very unprofessional and racked up CUSTOMER complaints because she would throw receipts at them and just have a bad attitude. Working with her felt degraded. The general manager would be hard to communicate with and when he said he would do something, he would forget. If you wanted to even ask a few days off it was expected you would have to ask or notify multiple times just to make sure it would get done. We were ALWAYS out of something, sometimes essential things like receipt paper or ice cream. I have not come across any good, hard working, or professional managers here.

2. The Work
    I said in my pros that having so many roles is good for experience...but on the job, it can be a hassle if it's busy. Sometimes I have been the only server or one of two...and maybe that's okay when it is slow but if it gets a little busy then everyone is in the weeds. In that case, there is not really a team quality enforced or idealized here so only some coworkers will help you out. If your whole table orders shakes and you have to make them? It is a NIGHTMARE. Especially if you have over five tables. Shakes here take TIME and when you are making them as a server, you basically are put in a situation to ignore your customers. They really need to have someone available to do shakes at all times of the day, even overnights.

3. The Kitchen
    If you have great people working kitchen stations, everybody seems a little happy. I have seen a lot of lazy people do kitchen stations and they will take obnoxiously long for one order when it's not even busy (30 minutes). The managers don't really get on these people and NEED TO.

4. It's 24 hours and cheap food
    This principle alone brings in the rude, the dirty, the cheap, the homeless, the puking, aggressive drunks, and everyone in between. You'll have to put up with so much with the customers here. SOME ARE GREAT but many of them are their for a cheap meal and won't tip, even if you gave them good service. IF you're a female, drunk or crude guys will make passes at you during third shift. You WILL make tips here and earn more than minimum wage but for a LOT OF WORK and putting up with people. You can make better tips somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional and efficient! Learn how to do inventory...And invest in an employee dedicated to the shake station.

Great Food, upper management is just about worthless

Manager Trainee (Current Employee)

ProsHas great food and vision for the company. Willing to work around your schedule. Most of the workers and customers are great. The training program in this company for both management and employees is the best I have seen in food service.

ConsTo worried about drive thru times, that causes the inside guest to have to wait longer than they should because they take food that was cooked for the inside and send it out the drive thru. company is very short on management but not to worried about filling them, it took them 2 1/2 months to due 1 interview and start my training after they said they were interested in me moving up to management. Also company doesn't want to pay for your experience, so they can't keep the better managers. Pay across the board is 15 to 20 percent below average for fast food.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement above store level do what you say you are going to do. Try and take care of your personnel they are the ones making the company money and giving you a job. Adjust the third shift operations.

Not so good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent friendships, nice regulars uh

ConsNo chance for promotion, no benefits, bad pay

Fast-paced and exact

Food Preparation Worker (Former Employee)

ProsValuable experience working in a team.
    Detail oriented

ConsStress-filled environment
    Some workers cynical about others work ethics

New to the company. The management training program is excellent.

Manager (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe environment everyday is positive and there is always something to do.

ConsWhen understaffed it is very rough.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to be aware of what is going on in every store.

Terrible experience so far

Grill Cook (Current Employee)

ProsGood people, it's the only reason a lot of us stay

ConsPeople get hired on with hopes of moving up. From my personal experience, i was a squad leader in the Army, applied for a management position, was told i would be put on a "fast track" and get management within 6-8 months. Been there just shy of 1 year still working grill and getting paid 9.25 an hour now. (took them 10 months to do that.) I have myself to support, and a fiancee, this company brings you in with high hopes only to let you down in the long run. I work 3rd shift 4 days a week, and a morning shift 1 day a week. The weekends we're always understaffed, and even on days that are holidays we're understaffed over night. They complain about drive thru times and how long food is taking to be made and taken out when you only have one person and there's 10 orders at a time coming in.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop understaffing your employees. You're doing nothing but putting a bad taste in their mouth about this company. It won't be long before this company goes under because word spreads fast about how bad this place treats their employees.

fast paced and easy to advance

Restaurant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsWorking near my home. Paid vacation

Cons50 hour work weeks with flip flopping schedules anywhere from 7am-4am Open 365 a year- third shift staffing is very challenging. Very little support and inefficient pay, maybe not for the managers that just got bumped into it from an hourly position, have no experience and no people skills. But, for a college trained experienced manager 33,000 for 50+ hours a week is too little. The benefits are too costly

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more support to your people. Stop hiring from within as much or at least be more selective during the process.

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!