Steak n Shake

Updated September 22, 2014
2.4

Steak n Shake Chairman and CEO Sardar Biglari
Sardar Biglari

Pros
  • great career starter, lots of room to move up, and work around a flexible schedule (in 20 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, nice employees, discounted food when on the clock, make good tips (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long long hours No personal life what so ever (in 22 reviews)

• The back of the house staff works very hard for not much more than minimum wage, the hourly workers max out at 9 (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Great co-workers but terrible managemnet

Former Employee - Hostess  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Hostess in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really liked how the company liked to hire from within for upper management so even though I was working there part-time before I went to college, one of the regional managers asked me to come back and apply to a corporate job.

Cons

General management was generally very disorganized and definitely created an unhappy environment.

Please at least get the schedules straight. I didn't go one week without seeing a server crying in the back due to the shifts being understaffed.

BAD COOPERATE CULTURE

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Servers makeding on the location. Good servers make a killing. good money on the weekends depending on Location

Cons

Terrible Cooperate culture. No correlation of organizational culture to Mission and Vision of the Organization. Inability to promote from withing and pay decent salary. They could work you to death if they knew you were good at your job. Breakdown in communication from above store leaders and terrible Hiring, and retention practices.

Realize the talent you have in-house and do not Promote Incompetent people to cover positions. Stop making it seem like management employees have no life. Lack of solid strategic leadership initiative to motivate good Managers to stay.

The experience is horrible.

Current Employee - Fountain Operator  in  Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Fountain Operator in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time for less than a year

Pros

The only "pro" there is working at Steak n Shake is that my start pay was $8.00 a hr and awesome Co workers. Oh, and they gave a constant hours.

Cons

Everything about the company is horrible. When you come in for the interview they talk you up and get you ready but once you are hired they change. They are always down grading their employees. Management does not work well with each other. One manager will tell you to do this while the other tells you to that. It was a horrible experience as my first job.

Improve everything about yourselves

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

DREADFUL!

Current Employee - Prep
    Current Employee - Prep

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

40% discount for employees, easy to get time off and a few decent employees who actually care.

Cons

New no more than 30 hours/week policy (at least in my district), low pay for expected work, management, favoritism. Good and hard working employees get paid less than new employees. You'll find yourself doing(and expected to do) everyone else's job including the managers most of the time. It is hard to be motivated when you're constantly having to come into work and babysit your coworkers. This company has absolutely no loyalty to their employees. What a joke!

Employees (who actually work hard and care) should be recognized more often. I've had really great co workers who go above and beyond but never get noticed or appreciated for their hard work.

Good for a first job

Former Employee - Server  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Austin, TX

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy work and good earning potential for servers. It was a good first job: flexible schedule and mostly great co-workers. I had a couple of great managers, but the company failed to give them incentive to stay.

Cons

I always did way more work than I got paid for (acting as a floor manager, but getting paid a servers wage). They experience high turnover, especially for management. I went through more than 5 managers in 3 years. The employees knew more than management most of the time. I though it was a great place to work when I started, but it went downhill quickly. Now they have a hard time keeping good servers. Everyone moves on to better serving jobs after they get the hang of it.

I hate this place

Current Employee - Server  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time for less than a year

Pros

steady customers, good training, food is ok.

Cons

rude co workers, slow kitchen, servers are suppose to be the server, hostess, busser and dishwasher even during a huge rush. tips suck. drama, minors, bad supervisors, worst wait staff I've ever worked with.

quit

Very good Start in UnitedStates

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time

Pros

Help to improve you management skills

Cons

affect on Your personal life

No appreciation

Former Employee - Server  in  Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Server in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can make a lot of money as server...if it's busy and not too many servers on.

Cons

Management was always strung out due to overly demanding and ignorant DM. Seemed like all they cared about was getting no complaints, kissing the DMs butt, and saving hours. My guess is there was a big fat bonus hidden in over working their employees. Insane amount of favoritism at this location.

Listen to your employees and increase their pay. Bonuses for hourly employees, for reaching goals, could go a long way to improve morale when they are feeling overworked.

Ok place to work

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time for more than a year

Pros

they offer flexible hours and co workers are nice

Cons

low pay and very busy - particularly night shift

It has potential

Former Employee - Server  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Server in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I loved the people i worked with. I loved how customer service is important for them. About half the managers I worked for were decent

Cons

It needs to be a bit more cohesive, some managers need to be on the same page.

I would hire in managers that actually care about the stores growth, not just hire to fill a position

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!