Steak n Shake

Updated October 15, 2014
2.3

Steak n Shake Chairman and CEO Sardar Biglari
Sardar Biglari

Pros
  • Great co-workers, flexible schedule, nicely renovated offices (in 22 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, nice employees, discounted food when on the clock, make good tips (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers work long hours and are more likely than not working more hours than they will be paid (in 24 reviews)

• The back of the house staff works very hard for not much more than minimum wage, the hourly workers max out at 9 (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was happy to be a manager and there was lots of way to be promoted in the company. The training system set up is awesome.

Cons

Culture was all about themselves. They over worked you and then over worked you some more. If you want a life do not work here because you then will not have one unless you marry someone in the business with you. Worst year of my life.

Actually make you employees feel like you care about them. No holidays off and open everyday of the year. Looks to everyone that all of these restaurants stopped caring about employees and their families.

It was cool

Former Employee - Waiter in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Waiter in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the people are great here, tips are cool, food was good as well I enjoyed it. Long shifts though, not enough down time for me.

Cons

the scheduling sucks. And it is like a revolving door of employees. As soon as you get to know someone they ship them out or they quit and it really sucks.

listen to employees

Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time

Pros

Local location in a small-town environment. Training program is comprehensive. Large base of human resources available for hiring associates. Potential for growth is strong.

Cons

Although this company provides extensive training, they do not support management when they are assigned to their store. It is extremely difficult to keep employees and managers. High turnover. Managers are constantly running shifts short staffed and engaged in positions when they should be managing shifts.

Hire more managers and provide support after their training.

Pathetic

Former Employee - Everything in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Everything in Richmond, VA

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I honestly can't think of anything good about working at Steak n Shake UNLESS you're lazy and don't really wanna work

Cons

TERRIBLE TRAINING, I was hired as a server but they put me in every position in the place and neglected to train me for anything. Management was inexperienced and didn't care, employees were lazy which stemmed from the lack of management. Little to no systems in place to deal with...ANYTHING

Learn how to do your jobs and hold people accountable for poor performance and actually train new hires.

Production Trainer

Current Employee - Production Trainer in Bedford, IN
    Current Employee - Production Trainer in Bedford, IN

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay raise, that's about it, and it's not a big one.. you get a say on what goes on during the day on the line, which is cool and empowering..

Cons

more work, obviously.. i mean, it's cool, but nah, don't do it for four years like me..

get their stuff together, stop making everyone do stuff that's actually their job to begin with.. say we not you more often. makes things a little nicer.

both exasperating and rewarding

Current Employee - Thrird Shift Server in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Thrird Shift Server in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the people (both employees and customers) are great. I met so many amazing people working there. The hours are flexible and the tips were good.

Cons

it's very hard work. the benefits are limited at best. the corporate culture changed while I was there, and became less interested in the employees, and much more in the bottom line

Please pay more attention to your employees. It can't be all about the bottom line.

Great co-workers but terrible managemnet

Former Employee - Hostess in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Hostess in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really liked how the company liked to hire from within for upper management so even though I was working there part-time before I went to college, one of the regional managers asked me to come back and apply to a corporate job.

Cons

General management was generally very disorganized and definitely created an unhappy environment.

Please at least get the schedules straight. I didn't go one week without seeing a server crying in the back due to the shifts being understaffed.

BAD COOPERATE CULTURE

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Servers makeding on the location. Good servers make a killing. good money on the weekends depending on Location

Cons

Terrible Cooperate culture. No correlation of organizational culture to Mission and Vision of the Organization. Inability to promote from withing and pay decent salary. They could work you to death if they knew you were good at your job. Breakdown in communication from above store leaders and terrible Hiring, and retention practices.

Realize the talent you have in-house and do not Promote Incompetent people to cover positions. Stop making it seem like management employees have no life. Lack of solid strategic leadership initiative to motivate good Managers to stay.

The experience is horrible.

Current Employee - Fountain Operator in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Fountain Operator in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only "pro" there is working at Steak n Shake is that my start pay was $8.00 a hr and awesome Co workers. Oh, and they gave a constant hours.

Cons

Everything about the company is horrible. When you come in for the interview they talk you up and get you ready but once you are hired they change. They are always down grading their employees. Management does not work well with each other. One manager will tell you to do this while the other tells you to that. It was a horrible experience as my first job.

Improve everything about yourselves

DREADFUL!

Current Employee - Prep
    Current Employee - Prep

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

40% discount for employees, easy to get time off and a few decent employees who actually care.

Cons

New no more than 30 hours/week policy (at least in my district), low pay for expected work, management, favoritism. Good and hard working employees get paid less than new employees. You'll find yourself doing(and expected to do) everyone else's job including the managers most of the time. It is hard to be motivated when you're constantly having to come into work and babysit your coworkers. This company has absolutely no loyalty to their employees. What a joke!

Employees (who actually work hard and care) should be recognized more often. I've had really great co workers who go above and beyond but never get noticed or appreciated for their hard work.

Steak n Shake Photos