Steak n Shake

Updated November 24, 2014
2.3

Steak n Shake Chairman and CEO Sardar Biglari
Sardar Biglari

Pros
  • Great co-workers, flexible schedule, nicely renovated offices (in 22 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, nice employees, discounted food when on the clock, make good tips (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers work long hours and are more likely than not working more hours than they will be paid (in 25 reviews)

• The back of the house staff works very hard for not much more than minimum wage, the hourly workers max out at 9 (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Great way to work through college

Current Employee - Server in Festus, MO
    Current Employee - Server in Festus, MO

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tips are good and great with working around school

Cons

Management is horrible along with non motivated co-workers

do further training before hireing

It was cool

Former Employee - Waiter in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Waiter in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the people are great here, tips are cool, food was good as well I enjoyed it. Long shifts though, not enough down time for me.

Cons

the scheduling sucks. And it is like a revolving door of employees. As soon as you get to know someone they ship them out or they quit and it really sucks.

listen to employees

Restaurant manager

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Sunrise, FL
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Sunrise, FL

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None other than medical insurance. They employees I work with are good however there's not sense of urgency. They dont care.

Cons

Everything, I don't know about the company. but supervisor and my general manager have no clue and how to be fair with employees right alone with their managers..I recently started working as a restaurant mgr my training was awful, I drove over two months to a training store that it was one hour and a half away from my house although they pay miles, I got my checks back almost three weeks later, I spent over $1200 in gas those two weeks. Not worth it.

Now I am currently working near my house, but the schedule doesn't give you any family time, plus being a new manager they take advantage and have you working total of 14 closings and mids for a period of a month, wich is ridiculous when the store has four managers, the closings could be spread out between all of the management team.....nope is not like that apparently the general manager doesn't close at all and basically works less than the fifty hours a week and on top of all that four days out his regular schedule days are openings.

With that being said, he talks about reinforcing rules but when it comes to show no ones even him fails to do so.

So I have plenty more to say. Conclusions you might want to reconsider working for this company.
    Oh.. no breaks for management. Ten and more hours a day and you can't even sit down to eat.

None figured it out.

Production Trainer

Current Employee - Production Trainer in Bedford, IN
    Current Employee - Production Trainer in Bedford, IN

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay raise, that's about it, and it's not a big one.. you get a say on what goes on during the day on the line, which is cool and empowering..

Cons

more work, obviously.. i mean, it's cool, but nah, don't do it for four years like me..

get their stuff together, stop making everyone do stuff that's actually their job to begin with.. say we not you more often. makes things a little nicer.

They demand the maximum performance, for minimum pay.

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They promote from within, and you can get up to management quickly due to their high turnover. The pay is just enough to keep you there.

Cons

There's no raises. Unless you get promoted, you get locked in at what you agree to. Outside hires are paid more, just so they can be convinced to join. Even though they have no experience in the company. I had over 5 years of experience here, and have worked on every station and shift. The amount I was offered for management, was much less than the average even with my experience. There's unreasonable demands for drive through times here, and you're CONSTANTLY under pressure. for someone to make an order fresh, and dress all of the sandwiches in under 2 minutes seems like a bit much. Especially during a weekend dinner shift with more than 20 orders on a grill screen for 1 person to make. Then there's a strict labor system, where they ideally want everyone to be shorthanded and moving constantly. If your hours or drive thru times are bad, you get phone calls and texts about it. You have sick days you can never use. When you try to tell them you can't work, you end up having to switch days with another manager, or they tell you that you have to come in. There's never positive reinforcement, only negative repercussions. Higher ups manage by threats, and expectations. They'll never say you've done a good job, but they'll always tell you when you're not good enough. As a 24hr store, managers are forced to stay when an overnight doesn't come in. You also can't close the store without the devision presidents approval. Even when it's clearly violating health code. The pay is good enough to live on, but not worth the near 60 hour workweek, the constant stress, and extreme micromanagement.

Learn management. Treat your employees with some respect. Maybe work in a store once, and see what it's like, before making unreasonable demands. Decide if the image you want is fast food, or a diner. You can't do both.

both exasperating and rewarding

Current Employee - Thrird Shift Server in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Thrird Shift Server in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the people (both employees and customers) are great. I met so many amazing people working there. The hours are flexible and the tips were good.

Cons

it's very hard work. the benefits are limited at best. the corporate culture changed while I was there, and became less interested in the employees, and much more in the bottom line

Please pay more attention to your employees. It can't be all about the bottom line.

No Corporate Direction, Company is all talk

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time

Pros

SNS will hire almost anyone so it's an easy job to get. If you believe that money is money then this is a good job.

Cons

The company motto is to "be the best" however, there is no clear plan or anything to make aspiration into a reality. SNS does not invest in human resources, rather it focuses purely on food sales. It's enough of an embarrassment that I would rather say I was unemployed than to have people thinking that I learned anything from SNS.

Train your people. Pay your people. Stop serving spoiled food to save on food costs and for gods sake don't forget what really makes the company money.

Worst job ever

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay was excellent and guests were loyal

Cons

Chaos, long hours and lots of call offs. 24 hours a day

Quit winging it

Steak N' Shake over worked and under paid

Former Employee - Drive-Thru Operator in Gladstone, MO
    Former Employee - Drive-Thru Operator in Gladstone, MO

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The managers at Steak N' shake were the best part. They were some of the best people ive ever met.

Cons

The employees were mostly x cons and very rude and very disrespectful.

Dont hire the first person that applies

Not a place for serious middle to senior manager

Current Employee - Executive in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand and history. The store personnel are hard working and the food is great. Started in 1934, company has a great brand and amazing heritage.

Cons

Senior management style is rude, aggressive and fosters a hostile work environment. Morale within the corporate office is very low, as it is a very non-motivating and potentially toxic environment. Senior executive's falsely believe that "truth telling" gives them the right to openly and publicly humiliate subordinates and co-workers. Additionally, business practices way behind the times and no where near best practice across all functions. Turnover rate very high for new employees as the culture is shockingly unprofessional.

I would advise the CEO the following 1) Making money and being professional are not mutually exclusive. America's most profitable companies have the best cultures. Please review the work done by Gallup to this regard. 2) Your senior management staff in many cases is well below par in terms of skill set needed to get to the next level. 3) Hire a best in class President to run this company. You cannot have an SLT of 20+ people. 4) Put a training and performance development process in place.

If you do not make changes within the leadership team you have in place, as well as the toxic culture they have created, you will continue to underperform across your key financial measures.

Steak n Shake Photos