Steak n Shake

Updated September 22, 2014
2.4

Steak n Shake Chairman and CEO Sardar Biglari
Sardar Biglari

Pros
  • great career starter, lots of room to move up, and work around a flexible schedule (in 20 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, nice employees, discounted food when on the clock, make good tips (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long long hours No personal life what so ever (in 22 reviews)

• The back of the house staff works very hard for not much more than minimum wage, the hourly workers max out at 9 (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Steak'nShit

Former Employee - Server  in  Decatur, IL
    Former Employee - Server in Decatur, IL

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Servers can make decent money working here if you are forced to work their "bar rush" shift. I could make about $100+ a night in tips on that shift. It was decent money and the work is really easy. Some of the managers are really nice.

Cons

You simply can't have a life and work at SteakNShit if you are good at your job. Once the management finds out you are a good hard worker they will give you the long undesirable shifts nobody else will work or simply can't because they can't handle it. They will make that your permanent schedule pretty much not even caring about if you like the shift or not. The management feels like you get no availability because working there you become their worker so they can give you whatever hours or shifts they want. So, don't apply here if you're a normal person with a life because you can't have one working there.

Go into your small town stores. Eat the food they serve, and see if it is up to par for your standards. It most likely won't be, because this business has gone down hill. You care so much about making the money that you forget about the customers. When drive-thru times are more important than serving customers that go their to dine at a "restaurant" you have a problem. You put your numbers before the customers.

The concept of this business is what brings it down

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Well Rounded Front of the House Experience
    It is a great place to start off because as a server, you are literally doing EVERYTHING. You are a cashier, hostess, busser, and, of course, an actual server. Often times you might have to make your own shakes or food. If anyone was smart, they could use this experience and elaborate in an interview.

2. The Tips
    Also as a server you will usually make anywhere from $10 - $20 a hour with tips. Some nights will be bad, but for someone needing to just make some money it's better than working a similar job at minimum wage. So with someone with little experience you can probably get hired here and make decent money.

Cons

1. Management
    MANAGEMENT is TERRIBLE. The assistant manager, who quit, was very temperamental and always yelling for no particular reason. She was very unprofessional and racked up CUSTOMER complaints because she would throw receipts at them and just have a bad attitude. Working with her felt degraded. The general manager would be hard to communicate with and when he said he would do something, he would forget. If you wanted to even ask a few days off it was expected you would have to ask or notify multiple times just to make sure it would get done. We were ALWAYS out of something, sometimes essential things like receipt paper or ice cream. I have not come across any good, hard working, or professional managers here.

2. The Work
    I said in my pros that having so many roles is good for experience...but on the job, it can be a hassle if it's busy. Sometimes I have been the only server or one of two...and maybe that's okay when it is slow but if it gets a little busy then everyone is in the weeds. In that case, there is not really a team quality enforced or idealized here so only some coworkers will help you out. If your whole table orders shakes and you have to make them? It is a NIGHTMARE. Especially if you have over five tables. Shakes here take TIME and when you are making them as a server, you basically are put in a situation to ignore your customers. They really need to have someone available to do shakes at all times of the day, even overnights.

3. The Kitchen
    If you have great people working kitchen stations, everybody seems a little happy. I have seen a lot of lazy people do kitchen stations and they will take obnoxiously long for one order when it's not even busy (30 minutes). The managers don't really get on these people and NEED TO.

4. It's 24 hours and cheap food
    This principle alone brings in the rude, the dirty, the cheap, the homeless, the puking, aggressive drunks, and everyone in between. You'll have to put up with so much with the customers here. SOME ARE GREAT but many of them are their for a cheap meal and won't tip, even if you gave them good service. IF you're a female, drunk or crude guys will make passes at you during third shift. You WILL make tips here and earn more than minimum wage but for a LOT OF WORK and putting up with people. You can make better tips somewhere else.

Be more professional and efficient! Learn how to do inventory...And invest in an employee dedicated to the shake station.

Improperly staffed

I have been working at Steak n Shake for less than a year

Pros

Easy to take time off

Cons

We are Understaffed during busy times

Staff more help during peak periodx

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Need better managers..Definitely need to make changes.

Former Employee - Server/Hostess  in  Burlington, NC
    Former Employee - Server/Hostess in Burlington, NC

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time for less than a year

Pros

You can take vacation time whenever you want as long as you let them know a a few days ahead of time. Interview is not very long, you can start training and working almost immediately. You can make good tips if you work hard.

Cons

Leaderships needs to change. Managers do not do their jobs very well, the schedule is all over the place..not enough structure.

Need better opportunities for raises. Need to replace managers.

Plenty of Opportunity

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time

Pros

Very many area locations, so there is a lot of room for growth. If you are a great Leader, you can get to the GM level quickly. It's only up to YOU.

Cons

Challenging, 24 hours, ever changing menu and very fast paced.

FIne as a high school job

Current Employee - Server  in  Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Server in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time for more than a year

Pros

I got to keep all tips and had pretty decent scheduling. Culture is nice assuming you are friends with everyone.

Cons

So much disorganization and favoritism. Way too many inappropriate relations and interactions between managers and employees. The district management is horrible. I was constantly doing way more than I supposed to be doing and always had to cross over into other areas to get stuff done.

Be professional.

Great Food, upper management is just about worthless

Current Employee - Manager Trainee
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee

I have been working at Steak n Shake

Pros

Has great food and vision for the company. Willing to work around your schedule. Most of the workers and customers are great. The training program in this company for both management and employees is the best I have seen in food service.

Cons

To worried about drive thru times, that causes the inside guest to have to wait longer than they should because they take food that was cooked for the inside and send it out the drive thru. company is very short on management but not to worried about filling them, it took them 2 1/2 months to due 1 interview and start my training after they said they were interested in me moving up to management. Also company doesn't want to pay for your experience, so they can't keep the better managers. Pay across the board is 15 to 20 percent below average for fast food.

Management above store level do what you say you are going to do. Try and take care of your personnel they are the ones making the company money and giving you a job. Adjust the third shift operations.

6 grueling months of my life wasted that I won't get back

Former Employee - Manager  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Food is great. Free meals for managers
    -Good teamwork atmosphere
    -Thorough training program for managers
    -Support from corporate with hiring

Cons

-Treat their employees like garbage and pay them pennies so they quit leaving you shorthanded constantly
    -Very long hours. Don't care that you have a family and have already worked 55 hours this week
    -"Good ol boy club" If you are not in the clique, you wont make it

Realize and never forget who is working in the trenches day after day making you filthy rich.

Not so good

I worked at Steak n Shake for more than a year

Pros

Decent friendships, nice regulars uh

Cons

No chance for promotion, no benefits, bad pay

Fast-paced and exact

Former Employee - Food Preparation Worker
    Former Employee - Food Preparation Worker

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time for more than a year

Pros

Valuable experience working in a team.
    Detail oriented

Cons

Stress-filled environment
    Some workers cynical about others work ethics

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!