Steak n Shake Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Great concept

Pros

Great heritage concept to be a part of

Cons

Hiring standards could improve for shift and line staff

Advice to Management

Don't stray to far from your origin, the targeted market is growing older and vision is not clear on who the next segment will be

2. Interesting... But not a terrible place to work

Former Employee - Cashier/Hostess in Newnan, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Hostess in Newnan, GA

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open 24 hours, flexible scheduling, friendly staff, easy job. You also get a small pay raise every 6 months. Overall, it was a great job to work as a high school/ college student. I ultimately left because I wanted to pursue something that would prepare me for my career field.

Cons

TERRIBLE customers, insufficient training, having to work christmas eve or christmas day (24 hr steak n shakes only close for 21hrs once a year). To put it lightly... being employed here was definitely a humbling experience. Every spoiled teenager should work here at least once in their life.

Advice to Management

My managers seemed to hate their jobs. It's difficult to do your job when your own manager doesn't even motivate you. I also found a few of my shift managers to be disrespectful to their staff. It's not my fault you chose to manage a Steak n Shake as a career. The least you can do is respect me as an employee. I also think that the 24 hour locations should be closed for ALL of Christmas day. There's no reason to re open at 5pm on Christmas. People don't need burgers THAT badly. Let people go spend time with their families.

Server- busy place wish management would help more.

Current Employee - Server in Merritt Island, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Merritt Island, FL

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Big sections Awesome co-workers Flexible schedule Customers are sweet Hours are good

Cons

Management sucks being yelled at for their mistakes how one day doing something is OK and the next day getting yelled at for it. Management likes to talk about everybody and their personal lives. Shows favoritism. Very rude and lazy.

Advice to Management

Care more about your running the restaurant then running your mouths. Appreciate your employees more.

5. Work

Pros

Easy to make money and have a flexible shift.

Cons

Manager was not professional at all.

6. good for a first job

Former Employee - Production Cook in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Production Cook in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Steak n Shake (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounts were pretty good open 24 hours so different shifts available for college students

Cons

Sent home early when guaranteed a certain amount of hours Pay training was partially done

Advice to Management

Take the time to properly train individuals and listen to advice that employees feel that would make improvements.

7. Fun workplace, if you work well with others

Former Employee - Service Associate in Hilliard, OH
    Former Employee - Service Associate in Hilliard, OH

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved almost all of the people I worked with. It was never a dull moment at work and it was fun getting to goof around with my coworkers when it wasn't busy. When it was busy, you actually have a good chance to make some money if you get the good tippers in your section.

Cons

I often did not leave work until at least an hour or 2 after my shift officially ended. Sometimes it was because my tables were taking a long time to leave but more often it was because I would be asked to do more sidework than I was assigned. Many times servers would leave without doing theirs, so the people who were there longer were forced to finished their own work and the other peoples before being able to collect tips.

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone finishes sidework before they leave. Also hire more production workers so people don't have to work 50+ hours a week at minimum wage.

8. Worst Employer I have ever endured

Former Employee - General Manager in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Steak n Shake (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, not much else. I was able to maintain a decent staff by creating a positive (hopeful) environment. But it wasn't due to any assistance from above.

Cons

Absolute zero autonomy. They don't allow proper staffing levels. They steal a percentage of Credit Card tips from the servers. The employees, and management are not shown any level of trust, or respect. Sardar is a control freak. "upper" management are his evil minions. They have enormous turnover (even by "fast food" industry standards.

Advice to Management

Keep that resume' polished up!

9. SnS

Pros

This is a good starter job if you are starting out as a job seeker.

Cons

Pay is not so great and advancement opportunities are few.

Advice to Management

Find a way to make more room for advancement.

10. Stay Away

Former Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Their is NONE!!! Steak and Shake glamorizes the position in the beginning, expense account , travel account , gas card, etc. Constant turn due to poor recruitment

Cons

They will expect you to have no work / life babalnce

Advice to Management

let the DM's do their jobs and stop mico managing

server

Pros

great for a first job fun

Cons

bad management understaffed dirty restaurant unprofessional- managers are often lazy and just sit in the office all day

Advice to Management

be more professional, yelling doesn't help much

RSS Feed </> Embed