Steak n Shake

Updated October 15, 2014
2.3

Steak n Shake Chairman and CEO Sardar Biglari
Sardar Biglari

Pros
  • Great co-workers, flexible schedule, nicely renovated offices (in 22 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, nice employees, discounted food when on the clock, make good tips (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers work long hours and are more likely than not working more hours than they will be paid (in 24 reviews)

• The back of the house staff works very hard for not much more than minimum wage, the hourly workers max out at 9 (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible experience so far

Current Employee - Grill Cook
    Current Employee - Grill Cook

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good people, it's the only reason a lot of us stay

Cons

People get hired on with hopes of moving up. From my personal experience, i was a squad leader in the Army, applied for a management position, was told i would be put on a "fast track" and get management within 6-8 months. Been there just shy of 1 year still working grill and getting paid 9.25 an hour now. (took them 10 months to do that.) I have myself to support, and a fiancee, this company brings you in with high hopes only to let you down in the long run. I work 3rd shift 4 days a week, and a morning shift 1 day a week. The weekends we're always understaffed, and even on days that are holidays we're understaffed over night. They complain about drive thru times and how long food is taking to be made and taken out when you only have one person and there's 10 orders at a time coming in.

Stop understaffing your employees. You're doing nothing but putting a bad taste in their mouth about this company. It won't be long before this company goes under because word spreads fast about how bad this place treats their employees.

fast paced and easy to advance

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working near my home. Paid vacation

Cons

50 hour work weeks with flip flopping schedules anywhere from 7am-4am Open 365 a year- third shift staffing is very challenging. Very little support and inefficient pay, maybe not for the managers that just got bumped into it from an hourly position, have no experience and no people skills. But, for a college trained experienced manager 33,000 for 50+ hours a week is too little. The benefits are too costly

Give more support to your people. Stop hiring from within as much or at least be more selective during the process.

It was horrible because they don't know how to treat their employees there.

Current Employee - Server in Lake City, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Lake City, FL

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great food and awesome team work the food comes out in time quickly and promptly. I would eat there again:)

Cons

Management sucks to where they are rude and they just don't care. To hire people who have to be there instead of people who don't care

You should teach the other managers on how not to accuse someone of something that they didn't do

Great company, great food. lack of concern for employees, low pay

Current Employee - Grill Cook in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Grill Cook in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy food to cook, easy job that is it.

Cons

part time hours only, not enough pay for the hours.

Learn about the area you work in and care concern when needed for employees.

I worked at Steak n Shake

Pros

Friendly management at Cypress location. Ability to work harder to earn more, vice versa. Easy.

Cons

It's a fast food restaurant, so grease, some lame customers, etc. The fast food experience.

This business brings in all kinds of customers.

Current Employee - General Manager in Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - General Manager in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Franchise opportunities give you a chance to grow in the company.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, customer clientele.

Honest projections of future growth would be nice for those who do not want to stay in the store for their whole career.

Steak n Shake Considers their Employees.

Current Employee - Server in Biloxi, MS
    Current Employee - Server in Biloxi, MS

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've never worked as a server before but they were one of the only places willing to train me. The company outlines everything their employees need to to do in order to get the job done. They will work with their employees and incorporate friendly (and experienced..) staff to guide them in the right direction. In my opinion, good company to work for!

Cons

Their schedule at this location seems to be the biggest problem It is new location and management did announce that most people will not be able to get the kind of hours that they need to work. I'm patient person and realize that these things take time.

It was torture. Awful workplace

Former Employee - Waitress in Elkhart, IN
    Former Employee - Waitress in Elkhart, IN

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There was nothing good about this job. You were paid poorly and your hourly wage was pathetic

Cons

You had to do everything. Clean bus and assist. Seat the door make shakes and more often then not the dishes. Just awful

Get it together cause you think you are great but you suck

An understaffed crew and a strong sense that the managers don't care about customers or employees.

Current Employee - Grill Cook in Orange City, FL
    Current Employee - Grill Cook in Orange City, FL

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro here is a guaranteed check.

Cons

The challenges are many. They never have enough employees during the overnight shift. I work at the most busy Steak and Shake in Florida and usually we only have a cook and a manager on the food production line. The manager is required to cover positions as if they were a regular employee, leaving managerial duties up in the air. They also only staff one server. Sometimes our dinning room is over half full at night and one server cannot possibly handle this effectively. They schedule people to get off work just before the busy times of the night, such as during Happy Hour. It starts at 2 and they'll cut the drive-through person and shake person right at 2. Then we get slammed with only 3 employees in the building. The place is always very dirty. People have bad language and bad manners, even though it was specifically stated that bad language was not acceptable when I was hired. The pay is horrible, even for supervisors. The night staff supervisor only makes $9 per hour and he's the only supervisor in the building at that time. They also often don't even schedule a person on a station. This happens at least once a week. I could go on for a while about how poorly managed this place is but I'll try to cut it short. One of the biggest ways I can tell that no ones cares about this place is that I've literally only seen the GM 3 times since I've started working there. That's 8 months now. And I've never once seen anyone higher in the company visit overnight. It is truly as if they just don't care what is going on.

I know they're not listening so why bother! LOL

I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone

Current Employee - General Manager in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free meals, enjoyed working with my team

Cons

Extremely high associate turnover, management and even upper management. I had 4 District Managers in one year. The company expects way too much out of its managers with very limited labor. Regional Manager and Human Resources Manager are not organized or have great focus. The company is 24 hours and most times as a General manager you end up working over 70 hours due to assistant quitting in the middle of shift. In 2 years I went through about 9 assistant managers.

Steak n Shake Photos