Steak n Shake

Updated September 17, 2014
2.4

Steak n Shake Chairman and CEO Sardar Biglari
Sardar Biglari

Pros
  • great career starter, lots of room to move up, and work around a flexible schedule (in 20 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, nice employees, discounted food when on the clock, make good tips (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long long hours No personal life what so ever (in 22 reviews)

• The back of the house staff works very hard for not much more than minimum wage, the hourly workers max out at 9 (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

An understaffed crew and a strong sense that the managers don't care about customers or employees.

Current Employee - Grill Cook  in  Orange City, FL
    Current Employee - Grill Cook in Orange City, FL

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pro here is a guaranteed check.

Cons

The challenges are many. They never have enough employees during the overnight shift. I work at the most busy Steak and Shake in Florida and usually we only have a cook and a manager on the food production line. The manager is required to cover positions as if they were a regular employee, leaving managerial duties up in the air. They also only staff one server. Sometimes our dinning room is over half full at night and one server cannot possibly handle this effectively. They schedule people to get off work just before the busy times of the night, such as during Happy Hour. It starts at 2 and they'll cut the drive-through person and shake person right at 2. Then we get slammed with only 3 employees in the building. The place is always very dirty. People have bad language and bad manners, even though it was specifically stated that bad language was not acceptable when I was hired. The pay is horrible, even for supervisors. The night staff supervisor only makes $9 per hour and he's the only supervisor in the building at that time. They also often don't even schedule a person on a station. This happens at least once a week. I could go on for a while about how poorly managed this place is but I'll try to cut it short. One of the biggest ways I can tell that no ones cares about this place is that I've literally only seen the GM 3 times since I've started working there. That's 8 months now. And I've never once seen anyone higher in the company visit overnight. It is truly as if they just don't care what is going on.

I know they're not listening so why bother! LOL

I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free meals, enjoyed working with my team

Cons

Extremely high associate turnover, management and even upper management. I had 4 District Managers in one year. The company expects way too much out of its managers with very limited labor. Regional Manager and Human Resources Manager are not organized or have great focus. The company is 24 hours and most times as a General manager you end up working over 70 hours due to assistant quitting in the middle of shift. In 2 years I went through about 9 assistant managers.

Perpetually under staffed

Former Employee - Manager  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Steak n Shake full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees get 40% off dine in meals. Hires 18 year old with out experience. Most positions are minimum wage. Open 24 hours

Cons

Most positions pay minimum wage. Little opportunity for advancement. High burnout rate. 20-25 hours average work week. Schedules change without advanced notice.

Pay your employees a living wage. Do not purposefully under staff shifts. Simplify menu offerings. Minimum two shake and two drive-thru operators on weekends and happy hour.
    K. I. S. S.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate has no care at all for people working in the restaurant

Current Employee - Production Associate  in  Saint Peters, MO
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Saint Peters, MO

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sometimes co-workers make the job bearable
    Flexible hours

Cons

Inconsistent employee review system
    Lack of raises for employees whom are deserving

Fire the CEO
    Care about your employees from the bottom up

Overworked and underpaid.

Current Employee - Drive-Thru Operator  in  Oakwood, GA
    Current Employee - Drive-Thru Operator in Oakwood, GA

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you actually work hard and learn several stations you have the opportunity to become an assistant manager or more. If you put in for your time off enough in advance it's almost a guarantee you will get it. Scheduling around my availability was almost never a problem, they were very accommodating in that aspect.

Cons

Low pay, fewer hours (as to avoid paying insurance and etc), an insane workload, extremely high expectations. The managers do play favorites, even if they deny it. They did not try hard enough or discipline those who were lazy and neglected their work. Don't expect any recognition from upper management, though. You are expected to not only do your station, but often another as well. I started out at the Drive Thru, but quickly had to jump between the dressing table and my own station just to get the food moving.

40% off of food, and only when you're working? That's one of the worst perks I've ever heard of. Please show your hardworking employees some recognition! It honestly makes a world of difference.

Mislead at start of job.

Current Employee - Dishwasher
    Current Employee - Dishwasher

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time for less than a year

Pros

They offer training programs and good pay supposedly.

Cons

I was under the impression that I was hired as a server (it was the only position I applied for) and was told to start training in the dish room during my first day of training. They've received a copy of my resume and I clearly stated that I was graduating from a business school that month. I've received that degree and am currently placed in the BOH. I feel overqualified for a position I was able to earn before enrolling at a 4-year school.

The managers can be inconsiderate for BOH employees. No set schedule, lack of proper equipment, training, and general support. I was hoping to get some training as a server and work my way up to a manager-in-training position. Instead, they brought me to one or two training sessions and pointed me to work in the dishroom close to the day of opening
    ALSO*: My girlfriend's 51/2 weeks pregnant and am going back to a dishwashing position at age 30. This seems a little unethical from my standpoint of view.

Some things need to change.

Current Employee - Server  in  Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Server in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Steak n Shake part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get some good employees and good customers. Some of management is willing to get you what you need as far as hours.

Cons

We're open on holidays majority of the day; there's barely any raises; some managers play favorites and there's really nothing you can do about it.

Server

I worked at Steak n Shake

Pros

You pretty much got to control your schedules. Most guests tipped.

Cons

Management was in and out. Workers were rarely disciplined.

Lot's of layers of management

I have been working at Steak n Shake full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very nice co workers and caring people in the Indianapolis office.

Cons

Too many chiefs and only one guy calling the shot. The VP's who care are going to kill each other to get the boss to notice. Poor working conditions.

Help the kid realize he pays people with experience to help him.

Great co-workers...Not so great management!

Former Employee - Prep  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Prep in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Steak n Shake part-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked the co workers and the job itself was ok.

Cons

Not enough hours/training. I would have liked to learn more stations, but I was always hurried after prep work was done to leave.

Make sure you have people in place to keep everything running smoothly.

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!