Stearns Lending

Updated February 5, 2015
Updated February 5, 2015
2.9

Brian S. Hale

Delivery on back end was good in the beginning!

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer

I worked at Stearns Lending

Pros

Overall, good company. Need to stand by their employees and deliver or not act like approval is on the way.

Cons

Switching company dynamics from wholesale to retail was not fully thought or planned out. Growth sometimes has pains, this companies were very difficult.

Don't over promise from the beginning and not deliver.

A place to grow your career.

I have been working at Stearns Lending full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast paced and growing company. Exectuive Leadership with actual origination experience and the ability to relate to the loan officer. The company is focused on the Loan Officer and providing them the necessary support in order to further increase their production. I enjoy working with our sales organization and the new challenges I encounter daily. It has provided me an opportunity to grow and learn. By far the best organization I have worked for in my career.

Cons

No cons at this time.

Continue to enable employees to make decisions and grow professionally.

Great Company

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Tampa, FL

I worked at Stearns Lending full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, I was able to work from home, as well as, in the office, when I desired.

Cons

Benefits are not the best and are expensive

Don't hire so many people at once. Steady and intelligent growth will prevent the need for huge layoffs when the pipeline is low.

Great Company, Horrible branch management

Former Employee - Account Manager in Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Warwick, RI

I worked at Stearns Lending

Pros

The good thing about Stearns, is that they paid pretty well. As an Account Manager I was paid $42,995.. When a company has management like the Rhode Island office doea, they need to provide good salaries to try and retain thier employees.

Cons

1. The Branch Managers assitant, who likens herself to an Operations Manager, was nothing more that an assistant who has no business in a management role.

2. They speak the words "we are flexible" but thier actions are completely opposite.

3. There was no work-life balance, if you ever called in sick or had to leave for a sick child or the like; you were treated horribly by management.

4. Coporte changed our job respnsabilities through a process called P.O.W.; process operational workflow. Basically they changed all of our jobs, the changes failed miserably, thern changed it again. Many of us were let go under a guise of another reason, and when I applied for unemployment insurance, they told the state I quit!! A total lie!!

Don't hire your best friends who have no experience. Have integrity and don't lie!!!

Underwriter

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Stearns Lending full-time (less than a year)

Pros

All I can think of right now is that the salary is decent.

Cons

One of the most unprofessional companies I've ever been employed by. Corporate seems to only want to point fingers and doesn't focus on solutions which that attitude is then passed downward. They seem to be in over their heads. Too many chiefs not enough indians. Employees are not valued. It's a challenge to get help from any department including H.R.

Live your own company moto "I can help" and realize your staff are human beings with lives and families outside of the work place. Instead look at how Stearns can be the best place to work and you'll attract the best people. Right now the best you have are treated, well, with disrespect. They are already setup to fail. Right now you don't have what it takes to keep them but you could. It will just take someone at the top who truly cares about the employees.

I worked here for 4 years.

I worked at Stearns Lending full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the stronger lenders with a good balance of products and decent pricing. Good support in areas of IT support and technology and guidelines.

Cons

Not everyone was provided the same level of support. Too many "special favor" employees who were given excellent support while others struggled to do their jobs and someone else's too.

Be more consistent with processes, procedures and expectations at the branch level.

Production Assistant

Current Employee - Production Assistant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Production Assistant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Stearns Lending full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get a monthly bonus off production.

Cons

I worked for a branch of Stearns and management was ran differently than corporate. My branch managers lied to us all the time and they never followed through with promises.

Will give you an opportunity with little experience

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Stearns Lending full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance, friendly coworkers, ease of talking to underwriters

Cons

Lack of training, management is weak

stop hiring family/friends. And the good ol' boys club from countrywide

Get out while the gettings good.... Too late

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Stearns Lending full-time

Pros

Good people on the ground level...

Cons

Management is totally unstructured and nepotistic ... They all come from BoA and have poor ethics towards people outside of their click. Not more than a used car saleman running the show. Sinking ship!!!

Fire yourselves immediately!!!

Senior closer. First three years AWESOME. After that, new management destroyed a good thing!

Former Employee - Senior Closer in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Closer in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Stearns Lending full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As stated , great company to work for. Corporate staff the best! Branch management, questionable! Enjoyed my time there, if only they would have questioned why so many employees from the original team did a mass exit?!

Cons

NEPOTISM! Hire people who are past co-workers and not really concerned about their qualifications.
    Came to Stearns in 2009. In that time it was a great company to work for. 2012 brought new management, forced the originals out and they tried to fix something that was not broke. Hired all their friends and made the original group of branch 49 feel like outsiders and this was the group of dedicated workers that put Stearns Lending on the map for the Midwest market.

Sorry, can't turn back the hands if time!lost a lot of knowledgable, awesome dedicated employees.