Stearns Lending Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Brian S. Hale

Great work family, lame pay

Current Employee - Productions Assistant in Oregon City, OR
    Current Employee - Productions Assistant in Oregon City, OR

I have been working at Stearns Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone we work with is great, we all get along well. Flexible with hours. Company seems to be doing well.

Cons

Pay isn't the best...if you want a raise after 1 year, or 5, or 10...this isn't the place for you. No raises or bonuses are ever given, even with the cost of living rising.

Advice to Management

SHOW YOUR EMPLOYEES YOU VALUE THEM

Not recommended

Former Employee - Risk Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Risk Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stearns Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office was nice and the CEO is a smart guy.

Cons

This is the cheapest company for which i have ever been associated. Not efficient, not cost-conscious - but downright cheap. Stearns does not offer merit increases... ever. Your salary will not change unless promoted and even then, expect a modest increase at best. The only time I was offered a significant increase is when I gave notice but by then it was too late. My DR's earned a disgraceful wage for anywhere in the nation - but especially California. And with the exorbitant cost of benefits, I' literally don't know how it made sense to work there. Additionally, no 401(k) matching and 11 days of PTO per year? Who does that? I consider Stearns a "last-resort" company at best. The working environment was chaotic, disorganized and stressful. This was one of the worst professional experiences of my career. I strongly encourage potential candidates to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Treat employees as assets, pay them fairly, give them raises when appropriate, recognize their accomplishments and completely revise the benefits structure. If you treat employees poorly, don't be shocked when they leave.

Bad benefits and pay

Former Employee - Fulfillment in Oregon City, OR
    Former Employee - Fulfillment in Oregon City, OR

I worked at Stearns Lending full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very organized with good training. Guidelines are spelled out well for employees.

Cons

Environment could be better. Very top heavy at Corporate level.

Advice to Management

Pay could be better along with benefits. Work environment needs to be more positive.

Getting Better

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer

I have been working at Stearns Lending full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As the company is growing they are improving processes, management is helpful, programs and pricing are great and when I am shopped 9 times out of 10 our pricing is better.

Cons

Benefits could be better for sure

Advice to Management

Improve benefits and continue to streamline processes

Good company in the mortgage business with good processors and underwriters

Current Employee - Loan Officer
    Current Employee - Loan Officer

I have been working at Stearns Lending

Pros

Friendly work environment. Company is in great hands and headed in the right direction.

Cons

Marketing department needs to be fixed. They are slow and don't do very good work

Advice to Management

Fix marketing

Delivery on back end was good in the beginning!

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer

I worked at Stearns Lending

Pros

Overall, good company. Need to stand by their employees and deliver or not act like approval is on the way.

Cons

Switching company dynamics from wholesale to retail was not fully thought or planned out. Growth sometimes has pains, this companies were very difficult.

Advice to Management

Don't over promise from the beginning and not deliver.

A place to grow your career.

I have been working at Stearns Lending full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced and growing company. Exectuive Leadership with actual origination experience and the ability to relate to the loan officer. The company is focused on the Loan Officer and providing them the necessary support in order to further increase their production. I enjoy working with our sales organization and the new challenges I encounter daily. It has provided me an opportunity to grow and learn. By far the best organization I have worked for in my career.

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue to enable employees to make decisions and grow professionally.

Great Company

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Tampa, FL

I worked at Stearns Lending full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, I was able to work from home, as well as, in the office, when I desired.

Cons

Benefits are not the best and are expensive

Advice to Management

Don't hire so many people at once. Steady and intelligent growth will prevent the need for huge layoffs when the pipeline is low.

Great Company, Horrible branch management

Former Employee - Account Manager in Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Warwick, RI

I worked at Stearns Lending

Pros

The good thing about Stearns, is that they paid pretty well. As an Account Manager I was paid $42,995.. When a company has management like the Rhode Island office doea, they need to provide good salaries to try and retain thier employees.

Cons

1. The Branch Managers assitant, who likens herself to an Operations Manager, was nothing more that an assistant who has no business in a management role.

2. They speak the words "we are flexible" but thier actions are completely opposite.

3. There was no work-life balance, if you ever called in sick or had to leave for a sick child or the like; you were treated horribly by management.

4. Coporte changed our job respnsabilities through a process called P.O.W.; process operational workflow. Basically they changed all of our jobs, the changes failed miserably, thern changed it again. Many of us were let go under a guise of another reason, and when I applied for unemployment insurance, they told the state I quit!! A total lie!!

Advice to Management

Don't hire your best friends who have no experience. Have integrity and don't lie!!!

Underwriter

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Stearns Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All I can think of right now is that the salary is decent.

Cons

One of the most unprofessional companies I've ever been employed by. Corporate seems to only want to point fingers and doesn't focus on solutions which that attitude is then passed downward. They seem to be in over their heads. Too many chiefs not enough indians. Employees are not valued. It's a challenge to get help from any department including H.R.

Advice to Management

Live your own company moto "I can help" and realize your staff are human beings with lives and families outside of the work place. Instead look at how Stearns can be the best place to work and you'll attract the best people. Right now the best you have are treated, well, with disrespect. They are already setup to fail. Right now you don't have what it takes to keep them but you could. It will just take someone at the top who truly cares about the employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed