Steelcase

Steelcase Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Steelcase President, CEO & Director James P. Keane

James P. Keane

Pros
  • Work environment is exceptionnal, good support from upper management(in 15 reviews)

• Well respected, good values, leaders walk the talk, good processes and work life balance(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited cross-functional opportunities for field sales staff who do not want to relocate to Grand Rapids Michigan or another major sales market(in 5 reviews)

• For someone who craves big city life, working at the global HQ in Grand Rapids, Michigan will likely cause culture shock(in 5 reviews)

It is an awesome place to work where people are valued and work is revered.

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsThe company is very supportive of personal time-off, flexible hours, and vacation time.

ConsDecisions sometimes can take a while to be solidified - this as you can imagine can put off things that can be completed sooner.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou rock!

Amazing lower level management. Great Benefits

Production Associate (Former Employee) Athens, AL

ProsPlenty of overtime. Vendor perks. Great Medical benefits.

ConsLower pay rates that average regional rates. Promotions based on time in service rather than aptitude or work ethic.

Advice to Senior ManagementSaying "no layoffs during this period" should mean that, or don't say anything and let the chips fall.

Decent company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployees are productive and hard working, busy environment

ConsThe management is poor and no one seem to care for the employees

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to change the culture of the company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The steelcase wood plant is a joke

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Caledonia, MI

ProsAs of right now it's just the hours but not the same in every area

ConsWorst pay ever. They favor the steel employees. The most common problem here is two people will be doing the same job but one is making 3 dollars more an hour just because he came from steel. A lot of the work is relied on the lesser paid employees. There is ALOT of (management, engineers) constantly walking around coming up with stupid ideas because their told hey think of something new for this area. Then their gone. Salary is getting raises yearly, the workers haven't received a raise in over ten years. The late policy now is a joke. You could literally lose your job from being a total of 6 seconds late

Advice to Senior ManagementPull your head out of your butts, lose a lot of useless overhead, quit supplying zone leader with the Internet, 20 plus bucks an hour to sit there and read the news and go to sites all day is a joke. The hr department is useless now. They fight against you the majority of the time when they should be neutral

Not a very good place to work

Senior Procurement Analyst (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsGood study (low) pay as long as it's not the day they need to reduce headcount and they call you into the office and tell you that you are no longer needed.

ConsManagement only wants to hear from you if you tell them what they want to hear. Not what is the truth or what should be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart reducing some of the excess layers of management. All they are interested in is being a puppet to protect their our jobs instead of doing what is best for the company.

Great place to work!!!!

Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexibility. It is a nice blend of small business empowerment with large corporation revenues.

ConsI need to relocate due to my the needs of spouse.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Steelcase is an absurdly great company to work for

ProsThey value their employees, highlight culture and well-being, and are growing into a global enterprise. Their board, founders and leadership are heavily involved in the community. They are authentic and have great spaces to work. They also encourage remote working, making the integration of work and personal life more flexible. Young people love working here.

ConsThey have growing pains as they try to create a global enterprise, and a lot of effort goes into cultural understanding.

Advice to Senior Managementdoin' great. Listen to your mid-level management. They are in the trenches and know what's going on.

Great Company

ProsGreat people, great spaces--wherever work happens

ConsNothing exclusive to Steelcase. It has the normal challenges you'd expect in any company.

No job security

Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsIt's a job
    Nice furniture

ConsManagement is very poor and makes terrible decisions without know any of the facts,
    No job security. any day they can call you into an office and say bye bye

Advice to Senior Managementget all of the facts before making decisions

Good company but little growth for millennials or non-GR based employees

ProsGood starting point for interns that want a global organization on their resume/portfolio
    Good place to be if you're looking to coast through the back nine of your career
    Respectable salary and benefits
    World-class designers and industrial engineers to learn from
    Helpful and supportive colleagues
    Casual work environment

ConsBureaucratic leadership
    Rampant cronyism and nepotism within the management ranks. It's a "good ol' boy" organization
    Too much outsourcing of core competencies...especially on the technology side
    Few growth opportunities
    What good are MAPP goals if they're not acted upon?

If you're a millennial and thinking about joining Steelcase, be sure to ask yourself - "Are you willing to give 15-20 yrs of your life before POSSIBLY seeing an opportunity to grow." The average Steelcase salaried employee has been with the company 20+ years, so its very difficult to advance and influence positive changes. Leadership is very set in their ways. I can only hope that Mr. Keane will change the culture in that regard. If you're not based out of the GR-headquarters and not willing to relocate, forget about advancement. Not going to happen. If you want to grow and be challenged on a daily basis, this may not be the best organization for you. If you're a "go with the flow" type of person and just looking to pay the bills, then you'll fit right in.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate professional development opportunities for non-GR based employees and millennials otherwise you will be dealing with a lot of brain drain.

Worked for Steelcase? Contribute to the Community!