Steelcase Reviews

Reset
1.0
Steelcase President, CEO & Director James P. Keane
James P. Keane

Pros
  • Stable company, very progressive work environment in Grand Rapids but other locations are lacking any of that culture (in 14 reviews)

• Great work-life balance, company genuinely invests in our personal development as an employee (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited cross-functional opportunities for field sales staff who do not want to relocate to Grand Rapids Michigan or another major sales market (in 6 reviews)

• For someone who craves big city life, working at the global HQ in Grand Rapids, Michigan will likely cause culture shock (in 5 reviews)

1. Good People - Poor Management

I have been working at Steelcase full-time

Pros

There are a lot of good people who only remain in the company because it is a good job for the local economy. There aren't many options and people from the area do not want to leave. You always have top-of-the-line work furniture. There are beautiful work spaces and environments.

Cons

Depending on your role, 50%-70% of your time can be spent in meetings. Meetings take twice as long because everyone has a laptop open and is "multi-tasking". There is very little heads down time at your workstation. Management tries to do too much with not enough resources. Management is almost exclusively top-down with little regard for veritical (divisional) leadership knowledge and experience. Employees are paid far less than they could be in other markets (captive workforce).

Advice to Management

Let's narrow the scope and be realistic about capacities and capabilities across all veriticals and and functional organizations.

One out, ten in

I worked at Steelcase full-time

Pros

None, seriously there aren't any

Cons

That is the mentality of these morons at Steelcase. They could care less about you or any of their employees. The only ones that they could give 1/2 rat's behind about are the ones in Grand Rapids. Just like more and more businesses the only thing that matters is the bottom dollar. Employees are cattle.

If you are a "Yes" man, you will fit in just fine

I worked at Steelcase full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, not much else to brag about

Cons

Top management forces you to work under threat of firing you or doing away with your job. Management is "always" right and you are always wrong, there is no trust. I learned that you cannot trust your immediate boss.

Advice to Management

People in Michigan are not better than people from other states.

5. Steelcase review

Former Employee - Material Handler in Kentwood, MI
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Kentwood, MI

I worked at Steelcase full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I can't think of any. Pay is below average, full time employees are treated unfairly. In the 80's the employees were treated with respect and treated as family. Steelcase was good to me back then, but corporate greed took over and destroyed this company.

Cons

Temporary employees are treated better than full time employees. I had 34 years of service and was driven out by temporary employees who mad half as much as I did without benefits.

Advice to Management

you forrgot who got this company to where it is today. Your longtime dedicated, hard working employees. Not temporary employees.

Steelcase used to be a great place to work, now it is one of the worst

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Caledonia, MI
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Caledonia, MI

Pros

Pay is ok Production employees are nice Benefits are ok, but not great

Cons

Management makes changes only for the sake of making a change. They take something so simple as making furniture and complicate it so thy can justify keeping their job. Every year our health insurance covers less, but we have to pay more After you reach te top of your payscale there is no incentive to do a good job, and it shows Very low employee morale Our pay has not risen with the cost of living Management does not follow company core values All experienced employees are leaving company for better companies High employee turn around, Steelcase used to be one of the top companies in Michigan to work for, now it just another job until you can find something better.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees like they are important to the company and not just another piece of equipment. Stop changing things that are working and listen to the employees that tell you where changes need to be made. Stop managing with threats of job security...........

Steelcase was a great place to work, over the past few years management lost interest.

Pros

Steelcase furniture has a great reputation, the compensation is good and maybe better than others in the same industry. They have great facilities.

Cons

Great place to work these day IF you are a "YES" man. Top management DOES NOT want to hear bad news. Terrible employees are shifted around from location to location. One particular top VP manages the plants by Threat! Over the past 5 years they have spent millions, yes millions, shutting down perfectly good and profitable plants "to save jobs in Michigan" quote from a manager in Grand Rapids. Answer me this: if a plant is profiting millions per year, why would you spend millions to remodel the place, terminate all the knowledgeable employees, bring in Steelcase people from other locations that know nothing about the product or culture so they end up destroying the plant, then spent more millions on closing the plant, dropping the quality products and moving the products to other locations.

Advice to Management

You are eating yourself from the inside. Listen to the people at lower levels, the ones that will be honest, don't terminate them for the truth. Shutting down plants outside of Michigan to save jobs in Michigan is not helping the bottom line or the investors. Stop the cash flow that is used to save jobs in Michigan, the cash flow for dead end projects, and the YES man mentality. Of course now it's too late to stop shutting down some of the great plants that you had, out of real stupidity. Yeah, I was one of those that was basically terminated early because I fought for what was right and would have saved the company money. I was honest and therefore let go early because I did not agree with most things going on and my own boss in Grand Rapids was the main "back stabber".

RSS Feed </> Embed