Stein Gardens & Gifts

Unqualified management and unprofessional

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Stein Gardens & Gifts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you've never had a job before and are under the age of 18. Great for kids over summer break.

Cons

Don't stay more than you're hired for. If it's a seasonal job, leave it at that. Current systems in use are antiquated, both in technology and tradition. Expect to be judged and treated unfairly based on managements perceptions.

Management is promoted based on social merit, nothing more. Lacking of any technical education let alone management training.

High expectations with low reward

I worked at Stein Gardens & Gifts for more than 5 years

Pros

It was very flexible around my schedule and it was a family atmosphere.

Cons

The expectations that management and the corporate office have on the employees are quite high, but the rewards are far too low for those expectations. The raises are menial and the starting wages are awful. People were starting at $3-4 more in the same position as people who had been at the company for several years. Absolute nonsense. Promotional raises are given, but there is no guidelines to how much an individual should receive for each position so people could get 25 cents for a big jump in title where someone can step up the ladder one notch and get 50 cents.

Pay a little respect to your employees if you want them to put forth 100% effort. When you pay someone minimum wage, expect that their job performance will reflect that.

Backwards

I worked at Stein Gardens & Gifts full-time

Pros

get to be outside, super easy job

Cons

I'm gonna list cause there's many problems I saw

-pay is not very good and unfair, I got hired as seasonal making more money than people who had worked there for a year, that's just ridiculous

-systems and procedures they use are straight out of the 50's. No backroom locations, no hand scanners to tell if anything is in stock. Everything is done on old computers on outdated and pretty annoying operating software

-I said the job was super easy, yeah because for every little job you have, there's about 5 other employees there to help you, so after about 10 minutes of actual work, you spend the other 6-7 hours doing nothing except talking to customers, who typically only take on average like 3-5 minutes of your time. Long story short, there's a lot of standing around and doing nothing because contrary to what the managers say, there is nothing to do

-as mentioned above, they way over-staffed constantly. On days that there were enough customers etc for 2-3 people to handle, which was most days, they'd have about 6 people out there. Not enough work for everyone. You can only sweep the same spot so many times in one day.

-also that many employees started to dig into peoples hours who were supposed to be full time

-managers were jerks mostly. When you asked them a question they would just stare at you like you were some kind of idiot, sorry dude the training you gave me sucked, so now I have a question.

-to go along with that, the store is about the size of a nickel compared to regular retailers, yet they had a ton of managers. It seemed like everyone I talked to was a manager or supervisor of something, it made no sense to me. There was five upper managers, and then upwards of 7 supervisors which they also call managers. A store that size needs like 4 or less of each of those positions. This was annoying because naturally they would all tell you to do different things, and they did a whole lot of nothing while looking busy

-The managers etc didn't care to listen to your ideas. They thought they were hot shots for the most part and would consistently do things in a backwards way, and would yell at you if you did it different. I can't tell you how many times I moved the big flower pots around because of instead of just leaving some space for the ones that were coming in a day, they would make me or others bunch them all together. It overall was a lot of double handling, just doing things over and over again because they refused to have some foresight.

-I was seasonal, and was told that I would work until August sometime. That didn't happen. I worked until early July because apparently that's when they cut hours, would've been nice to know that beforehand. Also they didn't even tell me I was cut. All of a sudden I have no hours for two weeks and I had to seek out a manager to ask what was going on. They decided to cut me due to my apparent lack of customer service, though as I mentioned above, on most days the only thing I would do was walk around and ask customers if they needed help with anything and help those who did. The managers didn't seem to notice that, and if they did feel I was lacking in certain areas, they should've approached me about it earlier to tell me what they thought, so if there was a problem I could fix it. I can't fix it if I don't know about it.

Cut back the number of managers you have, and stop letting them hire about 15 people every summer when you need like 5

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Stein Gardens & Gifts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Merchandise discount, most Store Management have been around for awhile and are very knowledgable.

Cons

Compensation us awful. Yearly raises of about .05 cents are the norm. Terrible communication. Corporate office thinks they are better than the store associates. No chance for advancement as most management are hired from outside the company.

Talk to your people and listen to what they have to say.

Not very good

Former Employee - Seasonal Worker  in  Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Seasonal Worker in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Stein Gardens & Gifts full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a job. You'll get a tan. Decent enough pay for the work. You'll meet some decent workers, can't say the same about the managers.

Cons

Uncaring managers
    Treating Workers poorly

It's not a good way to run the company when just about everyone who works there don't like the managers.

Care about the workers more. I know so many come and go year after year, but it matters.

It was enjoyable, i had a good experience.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Stein Gardens & Gifts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They are very loyal to employees. Also have flexible hours. the employees are also make the work experience a good one

Cons

The pay is not competitive. They rarely give raises and the base salary is on the low end to start with. they don't do reviews so it is hard to know where you stand a an employee

Not a place for advancement

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Ashwaubenon, WI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Ashwaubenon, WI

I worked at Stein Gardens & Gifts part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good starter job, easy to get in for employment, 20% discount

Cons

Work outside on the hottest days in summer, little pay with barely any raises, intimidating management, cut hours drastically in winter, the only thing the management cares about are themselves and the customers not their employess

Don't let the people managing the store return things for customers so easily, treat the employees better and praise them more.

Job.. That is all

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Stein Gardens & Gifts full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a job and although its a small local company, they don't have a great grasp on how to move a business forward.

Cons

Took them a long time to decide on many important decisions that needed to be made. Also Shut down Just Plants stores when they though was necessary with little or no warning to employees.

Get every one on the same page, and let your employees know what you are going to do with the business in the future.

It was just ok.

Former Employee - Plant Department  in  Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Plant Department in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Stein Gardens & Gifts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Worked outside, easy work to jump in and do, able to take time off as needed, other workers friendly for most part

Cons

inconsistent schedule, difficult to learn where everything is and it keeps moving around constantly, managers don't do anything

get off you butt and do something yourself

Worked for Stein Gardens & Gifts? Contribute to the Community!