Stein Gardens & Gifts Reviews

Mark Birmingham

1. New Direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Stein Gardens & Gifts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People, Great Potential, Culture Initiatives, Listen to the Employees, Utilize Employee suggestions.

Cons

Opportunity for developing an accountable culture both at the employee and management level.

Advice to Management

Stay the course on what has been started in the past 12 months.

2. Ehh

I worked at Stein Gardens & Gifts part-time

Pros

During the busy season (summer & winter for Christmas) your always busy. Pretty easy job.

Cons

Pay sucks. Management could be a lot better.

3. Good For Teens, Not Much More

Former Employee - Supervisor in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Appleton, WI

I worked at Stein Gardens & Gifts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work with some amazing people. Employee discount. Somewhat flexible schedule most months out of the year. Good for teens to get experience on resume.

Cons

Working nights and weekends. (realities of retail) Poor pay, benefits, and compensation overall. Lack of communication and training. Some store managers and district managers want sympathy for having their pay cut and losing their gas cards during the Great Recession, when the majority of store employees currently make at, or near, minimum wage. Never fully staffed. Many employees never knew what they would be doing, or what department they would be working in, from day to day. Management is resistive to change, and corporate is either unwilling or unable to combat prehistoric policies and procedures that prevent productivity and growth. Technology, both in-store systems as well as communication between each location and/or corporate office, is extremely outdated and inefficient. Impedes workplace efficiency as well as effective customer service.

Advice to Management

Advice will not do any good, corporate only listens to store managers and above. Spend some time in the store, not holding the store manager's hand, to find out what is really going on.

Awful place to work

I worked at Stein Gardens & Gifts

Pros

Most of the "average Joe" employees were fun to work with, family atmosphere at the store level.

Cons

Horrible pay and benefits. Lack of respect from within the company. Corporate dictatorship changes constantly and are under qualified for their positions. Most individuals in management roles have minimal experience or education related to the job. Most of the staff are more qualified for higher positions but are passed up or given the job making less money than the next guy hired off the street. Discrimination in pay....women made less than men who held the sane positions.

Advice to Management

They don't listen to anyone's advice, so it won't change a thing.

6. Fine Place for Side Money

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Stein Gardens & Gifts

Pros

Nice people, familial atmosphere, relaxed, nice to spend time outside, overall a place that's good for a high school job but nothing permanent

Cons

Not the cleanest place, sometimes requires some hard labor, very gender-divided in that women do certain types of jobs, men do others, stodgy and old technology

Advice to Management

update the technology, pay more than minimum wage, professionally clean the place every once in a while, give more employee perks that just the once a year 20% for employees.

7. Positive Experience in a ever changing environment

Current Employee - Store Manager in Big Bend, WI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Big Bend, WI

I have been working at Stein Gardens & Gifts

Pros

Laid back, positive atmosphere, not a big box store environment

Cons

Stagnant sales, unstability within the corporate office

Beware!

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Stein Gardens & Gifts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Honestly, I loved what I did each and every day and I have a lot of respect for those I worked with on a daily basis, but the corporate office just ruins all that.

Cons

Its all about the dollar. Corporate is too focused on the customer and not enough time and money is spent on employee satisfaction. Corporate belittles their employees making them feel worthless and replaceable, yet expect 110% effort each and every day ( at minimum wage too) they have no desire to keep valuable employees because all they want is to save money so they'd rather hire someone at minimum wage than pay their knowledgeable, devoted staff what they deserve in order to keep them at their company.

Advice to Management

I have no advice because I know that they will never listen. They never have. Half of them do not even hold college degrees yet walk around like they are so much smarter because they sit behind a desk all day. Reality check, your employees have damn good ideas so you should probably start listening.

Good to pay off school while in school

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Stein Gardens & Gifts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours work around school schedule

Cons

pay sucks district manager always complains about your work fast rotational of employees

Advice to Management

Pay people what they deserve

Backwards

I worked at Stein Gardens & Gifts full-time

Pros

get to be outside, super easy job

Cons

I'm gonna list cause there's many problems I saw -pay is not very good and unfair, I got hired as seasonal making more money than people who had worked there for a year, that's just ridiculous -systems and procedures they use are straight out of the 50's. No backroom locations, no hand scanners to tell if anything is in stock. Everything is done on old computers on outdated and pretty annoying operating software -I said the job was super easy, yeah because for every little job you have, there's about 5 other employees there to help you, so after about 10 minutes of actual work, you spend the other 6-7 hours doing nothing except talking to customers, who typically only take on average like 3-5 minutes of your time. Long story short, there's a lot of standing around and doing nothing because contrary to what the managers say, there is nothing to do -as mentioned above, they way over-staffed constantly. On days that there were enough customers etc for 2-3 people to handle, which was most days, they'd have about 6 people out there. Not enough work for everyone. You can only sweep the same spot so many times in one day. -also that many employees started to dig into peoples hours who were supposed to be full time -managers were jerks mostly. When you asked them a question they would just stare at you like you were some kind of idiot, sorry dude the training you gave me sucked, so now I have a question. -to go along with that, the store is about the size of a nickel compared to regular retailers, yet they had a ton of managers. It seemed like everyone I talked to was a manager or supervisor of something, it made no sense to me. There was five upper managers, and then upwards of 7 supervisors which they also call managers. A store that size needs like 4 or less of each of those positions. This was annoying because naturally they would all tell you to do different things, and they did a whole lot of nothing while looking busy -The managers etc didn't care to listen to your ideas. They thought they were hot shots for the most part and would consistently do things in a backwards way, and would yell at you if you did it different. I can't tell you how many times I moved the big flower pots around because of instead of just leaving some space for the ones that were coming in a day, they would make me or others bunch them all together. It overall was a lot of double handling, just doing things over and over again because they refused to have some foresight. -I was seasonal, and was told that I would work until August sometime. That didn't happen. I worked until early July because apparently that's when they cut hours, would've been nice to know that beforehand. Also they didn't even tell me I was cut. All of a sudden I have no hours for two weeks and I had to seek out a manager to ask what was going on. They decided to cut me due to my apparent lack of customer service, though as I mentioned above, on most days the only thing I would do was walk around and ask customers if they needed help with anything and help those who did. The managers didn't seem to notice that, and if they did feel I was lacking in certain areas, they should've approached me about it earlier to tell me what they thought, so if there was a problem I could fix it. I can't fix it if I don't know about it.

Advice to Management

Cut back the number of managers you have, and stop letting them hire about 15 people every summer when you need like 5

Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Stein Gardens & Gifts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Merchandise discount, most Store Management have been around for awhile and are very knowledgable.

Cons

Compensation us awful. Yearly raises of about .05 cents are the norm. Terrible communication. Corporate office thinks they are better than the store associates. No chance for advancement as most management are hired from outside the company.

Advice to Management

Talk to your people and listen to what they have to say.

RSS Feed </> Embed