Stein Mart Reviews

Reset
2.9
Stein Mart Chairman & Interim CEO Jay Stein
Jay Stein

Pros
  • Offers a decent employee discount (in 15 reviews)

• Able to work with some great people at the store level (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours during holidays and before corporate visits, plan to work most weekends (in 11 reviews)

• Offering credit cards was okay, but not the magazines (in 10 reviews)

1. Great Company

I worked at Stein Mart

Pros

Great staff altogether. Supervisors and managers care about their employees and are so flexible with students! Loved working there!

Cons

Typical retail job pay, which is to be expected.

2. Sales Coach/Customer Service Lead/A-Team Grand Opening Specialist

Current Employee - Customer Service Lead/Credit Card Captain in Mission Viejo, CA

I have been working at Stein Mart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management is willing to make extra efforts in finding ways to keep leaders engaged and challenged in their jobs. By doing this leaders feel valued and fullfilled in their jobs and are less likely to search for fulfillment elseware. I have been very impressed with the professionalism of every Manager I have worked with. I am leaving my position at Stein Mart with more confidence in my abilities and very greatful to have had the opportunity to work for a company who truly cares about thier people. Thank You Jay Stein, its been an absolute pleasure!

Cons

Salaries are lower than average retail stores.

Advice to Management

I think Marketing needs to give more attention to the Stein Mart Loyalty Program and Perfered Elite Card program. I can see the customers are loseing value in the loyalty cards because the Loyatly Marketing Promotions which helped sell the value in the Loyalty program have declined.

3. Not a BAD place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Kettering, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Kettering, OH

I worked at Stein Mart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment, discounts on clothing

Cons

Low pay, crabby, deal hunting shoppers, poor management

Advice to Management

Hire better employees, high turnover

5. mehhh

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sebastian, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sebastian, FL

I have been working at Stein Mart (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, okay benefits, discount

Cons

Low pay....staying til late hours for corporate visits, full time doesn't mean full time in slow season

6. Appreciated

Current Employee - Department Lead
    Current Employee - Department Lead

I have been working at Stein Mart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You meet alot of wonderful employees

Cons

It does seem like the employees matter any more

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better.

7. Not the worst job out there, but could definitely be better

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Stein Mart

Pros

You get a great discount off purchases. Also you get money for getting customers to sign up for credit cards.

Cons

Raises are rare and very little. Corporate sets unrealistic demands and make unnecessary changes to the stores that make doing the job harder.

8. Merchandising Manager

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Stein Mart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work...will work with school hours

Cons

part time gets hours cut first

Advice to Management

Work with the employees on the floor, and not just a pointer....

Good place to start, but they don

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Stein Mart (More than a year)

Pros

Great fellow employees, effort is made by management to provide a positive work environment and the company (or at least the store I'm at) seems big into giving opportunities to people even if they don't have a lot of experience. Pretty decent employee discount and they're (mostly) willing to work with you schedule-wise.

Cons

Despite the effort put into providing a veneer of positive environment, top-level management can be very demanding, unrealistic and on top of that ungrateful and at times, almost threatening. Long story short: you're expected to do your job, like it and live up to what are at times astronomical standards, else you will be kindly reminded that as a temporary part time employee, you can be let go at any time and they will find someone else they think can satisfy their demands. Oh, and this is all for minimum wage, I might add. It starts with the store credit cards: anybody who backs up on the register is told they have to come away having sold at least one credit card per day, and the cashiers are doubly pressured to get cards. Floor associates, particularly the ones in the clothing departments, are typically expected to do the work of two people, and save for the ladies department there is rarely more than one associate on the floor anywhere at any given time. If you're closing on the floor, the general expectation is for you to help customers, do all of your go-backs, do a spotless recovery of your entire department, vacuum at least part of it at the end of the night and add pushing freight and backup cashiering on top of all this whenever required. If you close in the linens/gifts department you'll frequently find yourself covering shoes (essentially making one person responsible for covering the entire back of the store) because they don't seem to think hiring someone to close on a nightly basis over there is a priority. Some, if not most of the time you can accomplish at least an acceptable variation of these things, but when it gets busy (especially during the holidays) you'll find yourself falling behind very quickly and there is little, if any help to be had. While you (typically) won't just get randomly called into the office or yelled at when you inevitably have some difficulty accomplishing all these things, you will be marked down as "unproductive" or told "you're not cutting it in Department X" when they do your six month performance reviews or need an excuse to move you elsewhere in the store. And as mentioned above, if you attempt to defend yourself (or if they simply want to make their point more effectively) you'll be (again, rather politely) reminded of your temporary part time status and it will be essentially implied you're lucky to be working there at all. Categorizing this as an actual threat might admittedly be a tad dramatic, as I have yet to see anyone actually fired or let go based on their performance in the year-plus I've worked there - but at the very least, for some reason upper management seems to think this is an effective general motivational tactic... which seems rather questionable to me. Now, don't get me wrong - most of the floor and assistant managers are fine, understanding people who will recognize when you work your tail off and are genuinely thankful for you and your effort. And literally none of them are rude or outright mean. But when you quite obviously think your status as a manager puts you above your associates and having to concern yourself with any issues they have, politeness doesn't mean much. And unfortunately, a few managers like that are enough to make what is otherwise a pretty darn decent retail job pretty unenjoyable at times.

Advice to Management

Stop telling hardworking, minimum wage employees they're unproductive because they can't accomplish everything you want them to without help. There's results-oriented, and then there's unrealistic demands - learn the difference. Alternatively - hire a few more people, and watch your stores run as smoothly and spotlessly as you want them to. Also, a select few still need to realize that respect is given, not earned, and perhaps even reminded that part time associates are people too. Just because you're a manager and I'm a disposable part-timer doesn't mean you're better than me.

10. Good Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Stein Mart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family like atmosphere. The small department makes it easy to stand out and recognized as a valuable member. Depending on your management, the policies regarding vacation time are not strict as long as it doesn't interfere with project timelines.

Cons

There are not very many opportunities to move upwards in terms of salary growth within the company.

11. Extra Income

Former Employee - FLORIDA in Bonita Springs, FL
    Former Employee - FLORIDA in Bonita Springs, FL

I worked at Stein Mart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, burns calories, employee discount

Cons

Low paying, poor healthcare, some people disappear during their shift and have worked there for years.

Advice to Management

Increase incentives and pay scale and improve benefits

RSS Feed </> Embed