Stein Mart

Updated January 25, 2015
2.8

Stein Mart Chairman & Interim CEO Jay Stein
Jay Stein

Pros
  • The employee discount is nice and employee of the month is also a nice perk (in 15 reviews)

• Great merchandise at great prices (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long, long hours for management (in 11 reviews)

• Too much emphasis on getting people to sign up for credit cards or to sign up for "free" magazines (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Can be a better company if certain steps are taken.

I have been working at Stein Mart

Pros

Great benefits, high regard for continuing education, understanding for family matters.

Cons

Operations are in the stone ages, low pay, low hours, internal conflict.

Quit being pushovers.

It was an average experience.

I have been working at Stein Mart

Pros

The money was good, and work hours were good.

Cons

Hard to keep up with interview process.

Better feedback with new applicants.

It's just a job

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Stein Mart full-time

Pros

The discount is good, you meet people that are fun to work with. Sale days are busy and your shift flies by.

Cons

Senior management is forced to work long hours, assistant mangers are not on a bonus scale, and increases are based on store profitability. In other words, you work your butt off spending 45-60 hours per week in your store and in turn get all your hard work kicked in your face come review time.

Stop asking so much of your employees, you pay them beans and in turn expect too much from them. Give stores more payroll and drop your expectations just a hair.. The customers don't even appreciate the level of perfection you want your stores at anyway. Keep it merchandised, keep it organized, and keep it clean. Lose the flower pins and other fluffy junk the customers couldn't care less about it. Your core customers' are older, but the store doesn't need to look like your grandmas spare bedroom, stuffed to the brim with junk. By the way, scarves on your clothes in the summer really? I thought you were based in Jacksonville, not the North Pole.

APC

Current Employee - APC
    Current Employee - APC

I have been working at Stein Mart

Pros

Somewhat flexible... Great employee discount. Mostly good people to work with

Cons

Lots of hours on salary. Many days without day off

If a GM is caught red handed stealing... Fire them no matter how well their store does in sales

Meh.

I worked at Stein Mart

Pros

Flexible schedules. Easy job. Well behaved customers for the most part.

Cons

Very little opportunities for promotion unless you are in this job for the long haul. Predictable/boring. Loss prevention will promise you rewards for getting shoplifters arrested or fired, but you just get a mumbled thanks.

Not bad, but I need more hours, higher pay rate.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Stein Mart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a good company with decent managers, for the most part. The employee discount is a nice touch. The customers are mostly nice people, too.

Cons

The technology of the registers is clearly out-of-date, and the operating system is in desperate need of updating. The registers are also falling apart physically.

Invest in the equipment, and make a few more of your emplyees full-time workers. As of now, the upward mobility possibilities seem limited.

Up and down being in Dallas

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stein Mart

Pros

Chance to advance some training

Cons

Work long hrs sometimes 70 plus hrs

If you have a family this isn't for you.

Rude and disrespectful management does not equal loyal and happy employees

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at Stein Mart

Pros

I met some nice customers and a couple nice associates. Otherwise, nothing nice to say. I have years of retail and business experience, but this is the only establishment I have given a bad review

Cons

No starter training. I had to mainly learn on my own. There was no going over store policies. Management is rude and disrespectful to their employees. Far too much picking on unimportant issues, rather than focusing on customer service, happy employees and no loss prevention that i have seen. There is no fair scheduled hours, but instead, they will hire a new employee and cut others hours. Without notice. You cannot be sick, have an emergency or a serious health issue, without being reprimanded to feel worse. There is zero praise for hard work, even though it is for little money. Store meetings are used to embarrass employees in front of others, when private one on one meetings is more respectful. Too many associates staying under constant stress and an unhappy environment. Too many associates doing projects, rather than some attending to customer service. I hear too many customer complaints about this issue and I do not blame them.

Treat your employees by the golden rule. Treat them the way you want to be treated in life. Schedule them fairly and with hours they can depend on. Praise when hard work is given and stop picking on small things. Try to achieve a happy work atmosphere where your employees feel appreciated. They should be happy to come to work. Instead, it is highly stressful, which in turn, is picked up by the customers. Far too much disrespect shown to employees. In my opinion, the most unprofessional I have seen. Happy employees make a happy and long term work place.

Friendly staff and great work environment but sometimes slow work days and low workload

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Stein Mart part-time

Pros

-Great co-workers and management
    -Fair compensation for part-time staff

Cons

-Sometimes slow work days with low workload

Steinmart

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at Stein Mart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

friendly associates, flexible schedule, emp. discount

Cons

low pay, low benefits, no incentives

raise pay