Stein Mart Reviews

Reset
2.8
Stein Mart Chairman & Interim CEO Jay Stein
Jay Stein

Pros
  • Offers a decent employee discount (in 15 reviews)

• Able to work with some great people at the store level (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours during holidays and before corporate visits, plan to work most weekends (in 11 reviews)

• Offering credit cards was okay, but not the magazines (in 10 reviews)

1. Just ok

Former Employee - Store Associate in Valrico, FL
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Valrico, FL

Pros

Worked with my school schedule

Cons

Minimum wage, grumpy managers, negative atmosphere. They are a bit archaic. I didn't like working here.

Advice to Management

Don't be so cheap, buy a decent vacuum to vacuum with. After a long day on our feet you want us to push around a dinosaur of a vacuum cleaner around all those racks.

2. Average

I worked at Stein Mart part-time

Pros

The employee discount is awesome!

Cons

High turnover when it comes to associates Unnecessary credit goals

Advice to Management

Many of your associates do have lives outside of stein mart. Showing a little appreciation goes a long way

Store management

Current Employee - General Manager in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - General Manager in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Stein Mart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Respectable Salary Benefits Store Hours Great Merchandise- makes merchandising fun Most supervisors are supportive and respectful

Cons

No comp time for extended work hours Turnover of supervisors Company growth is reducing ability to make decisions as a smart business manager Increased goals when striving to achieve current goals Annual increases very minimum and payroll continues to be reduced while expectations increase exponentially

Advice to Management

All multi-store supervisors and corporate employees should work a week in a store Reward hourly associates for their hard work with reasonable annual increases based on performance Add ASM bonus program to improve ASM quality Separate vacation, sick and holiday pay from store payroll budgets Allocate payroll for unplanned work and capital/remodel projects

5. Great place

Pros

Great place to work especially if your in school.

Cons

A lot of work. Need to have more staff on hand.

Advice to Management

None

6. Great

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Stein Mart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company and great management. Love working here

Cons

Not paid enough and not enough hours

Advice to Management

Increase wage and hours

Merchandising Lead (Linens)

Current Employee - Merchandising Lead
    Current Employee - Merchandising Lead

I have been working at Stein Mart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount. That's about it.

Cons

The reason customers love Stein Mart so much and voted them the top department store in the country is that they can actually get someone on the floor to help them. Very few stores these days have anyone on the floor to help customers. In Linens, it's especially important because SteinMart insists on putting the bed pillows and decorative pillows on a wall up to the ceiling where no one can reach them. We don't sell any of the bed pillows that are supposed to be on the top shelves according to the planogram. Customers will bring over chairs and stand on them, or try to climb up the shelves and break them. There are a million quilts in the stock room but there is only room for 3 or 4 of each style on the floor, and if a customer doesn't see a queen in the pattern they like, and there is no one on the floor to help them, they leave. So Stein Mart decides to cut hours so that the one person on the floor is spending all their time in receiving or the stock room, and no one is on the floor selling, or helping customers. Yet, we're supposed to keep sales up. Someone asked me the other day if I was busy in my department that day, and I said, I have no idea, I've been off the floor clearing the conveyor belt and moving things around in the stock room so we can fit in the absurd amount of merchandise they send us. None of it makes any sense to me. Low pay, ridiculous expectations, and poor management have reduced the morale in the store to zero.

Advice to Management

I can't believe they haven't figured out that only a few more people on the floor will improve sales, and that fewer people on the floor are destroying the store. Low morale; messy departments due to lack of time for recovery; poor customer service because no one cares anymore or has time to wait on them.

8. Comments

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Stein Mart (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that I worked with were nice.

Cons

Having to clean the bathrooms after customers made messes in the stalls. Cleaning and vacuuming first thing in the morning before the store opened, when you are actually clean and are now sweating. Had to start at minimum wage regardless of years of experience and had to prove yourself.

Advice to Management

Management never seemed to be happy or appreciative of the work that you did. Nothing was ever good enough.

9. Becoming Disapointing

Current Employee - APM
    Current Employee - APM

I have been working at Stein Mart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and some good people. If you are looking for a part time job with a good employee discount this is the place.

Cons

Really low pay and the "family first" environment that the company claims as the reasoning for the low pay is non existent. They are operating on antiquated technology and practices. They continue to see customer growth but cut hours and positions. The concept of a raise is laughable. They had the single best year in the company's history in 2014. However half of the company received no raise and the other half were topped out at 1.6%. They blamed it on operations expenses. Well, when you give a $5 dividend on a $12 stock I guess you will run out of cash. It was heart warming how the company failed to take employee pay into account before that divided. They also implied to associates that the poor raises where do to their failure.

Advice to Management

Slow down on expansion, and update existing stores and infrastructure. Pay your employees a proper wage and stop cutting hours while expecting better customer service experiences and reduced shrink!

10. Extra cash with flexible hours

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Bonita Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Bonita Springs, FL

I worked at Stein Mart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are very nice. The schedule is flexible and you can burn a lot of calories working in the fitting rooms.

Cons

Some people work harder than others. They may expect a 16 hour day when a visit is coming. People will work till.the wee hours of the am.

Advice to Management

If everyone did their job on a daily basis and were managed and not treated like friends then you wouldn't need ridiculous long hour days from your employees

11. Job

Pros

Store has good working hours for student

Cons

Not enough people to do all the stuff they ask.

RSS Feed </> Embed