Stein Mart

Stein Mart Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Stein Mart Chairman & Interim CEO Jay Stein

Jay Stein

Pros:
  • "Also, 25% discount with occasional special employee discount days of 35%"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Very friendly employees and they promote from within"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Offering credit cards was okay, but not the magazines"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Constant visits by district and regional managers have everyone working long hours in an unrealistic and thankless environment"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall Decent Employer to work for

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsTried to allow for work life balance.

ConsLack of ability to address personnel issues at any level,

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be proactive in addressing in store personnel issues. There seems to be an understanding that the Management Staff is untouchable and they are very lax in addresses overall personnel issues at any level.

Sometimes frustrating

ProsGreat merchandise, decent prices, decent employee discount

ConsCan't get a straight answer on anything from mgmt team.

Better than most retail

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat merchandise at great prices. Good ability for advancement.

ConsLast minute changes would be very frusturating

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of Physical Labor, Low Low Low Compensation

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    DFW, TX

ProsVery much like a family within each store you work in. Everyone takes care of each other. Have met some wonderful people in the 10 years I gave to this company.

ConsFor the amount of physical work, the compensation is not worth it. Constant floor moves In the home department means moving heavy fixtures, merchandise, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor district/regionals: take care of and appreciate your management staff within your stores. There are better paying jobs with less physical work, less stress that you inflict on them.

Brought in to boost sales and increase productivity by cleaning up a lackluster sales staff.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsAt one time there was a decent work life balance.

ConsComplete destruction of morale, termination of valuable associates. District managers creating an atmosphere of dread rather than one of anticipation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease let your manager's run their business and relax the pressure. Rebalance the budget so that the majority is spent on payroll.

Started great.

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThis is a company that promotes from within.

ConsWhen I first started with this company it was family oriented. Now, as with most retail chains it's all about the bottom line. Corporate directive, LP, DDO's and HR never seem to be on the same page.

Woeful, awful, pitiful....

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Buford, GA

ProsSince I have so many negative things to say about my work experience here, I'll start with the good. The Stein Mart I work at is so understaffed, we became like a small family. There are good people and there are bad people, just like a family. We all supported each other. The pay is so-so, but we get paid weekly, so it's a paycheck every week for those of you like me, a struggling college student. The discount is okay, as well. Most of the people who shop there are old fogies, so you won't find much in the way of rude or belligerent customers.

ConsOkay, allow me to begin. I felt like I was babysat the first two weeks of me working there. I couldn't turn a corner without seeing a manager spying on me or sneaking up behind me. It's very uncomfortable to feel like you're being watched all the time. I understand that managers have to watch their new employees closely to see if they're following the rules and regulations of the company, but at least do it discreetly, that way you can actually catch someone doing wrong. Also within the first two weeks of me working here, there was supposed to be a BIG VISIT from Mr. Jay Stein himself. How did we prepare for his visit you ask? By moving crap all around the store to different locations, and then moving it BACK TO WHERE IT WAS two days ago, then get yelled at by managers questioning why you moved it in the first place, when it was there directive to move it in the first place. And the ironic thing about the visit is that Mr. Jay Stein didn't even show up. The communication between the regional management and the store management is deplorable. Every single thing is an emergency, even you've already got three emergencies and your hands are full, you're supposed to "act professional". I've had tons of experience in my life at better places than this, including management experience and I must say that this company will place even the most novice person with a passing interest into management.The scheduling is also erratic and terrible, as the managers cannot even make a schedule for eleven people and do it correctly the FIRST time. The store I work at seems to have a high turnover rate, as I've seen one employee quit after her first week. They threw her on the register all alone, then they threw her in Ladies' by herself with no type of training. Another employee quit after his first day due in no small part to the management presiding over this store. Morale is in the toilet and walking into the store every day for work is especially depressing. You can read the look of dread in every employees face.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent managers who have a BACKGROUND in leadership and management. Don't lie about a visit from the CEO just to make us clean up the store and look busy. Put more money into payroll instead of being greedy. Fix your scheduling in order to give employees a better work/life balance, we aren't all robots and we do require sleep, a social life, family time, and homework time. Increase the training routine and stop throwing new hires to the wolves on their first day. Also, increase the budget to hire more personnel so that your current employees aren't burned out and their morale is crushed. Lastly, get some more music and stop playing the same droning songs on repeat on a daily basis.

Part timer, Houston Tx

Part Time Associate (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe discount is decent, the customers aren't half bad.

ConsManagement not on same page, lack of training, employees bad attitudes towards fellow employees and customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a meeting so management team can have across the board guidelines. Train your new employees on the important info so constant mistakes can be avoided. Get a handle on the bad attitudes as a new employee I should be able to ask for help from all instead of receiving rudeness.

I can't even communicate to you how overworked the management staff is.

Merchandising Manager (Former Employee)

ProsTerrific merchandise at good prices. Offers a decent employee discount.

ConsThe Merchandising Managers are worked to the point of physical problems. I've literally been told I couldn't go see my doctor because there was an "important" visit from a regional manager coming up. I've needed to write up staff for not doing their job adequately only to be told, "this isn't a good time". Later being reprimanded for not writing up staff. The store I was at went through upper management at a ridiculous rate; each one having different expectations even though all of the stores were supposed to have the same SOP. The monstrous truck shipments that come in 1-2 times a week of anywhere from 200-700 boxes each are completely the responsibility of the Merchandising Managers. If you aren't given enough hours for staff to get it all out onto the sales floor, you, as a manager had to stay until it was completed. I stayed for two and a half years. I was there two years before I used my first sick day where I'd called in. I was told I needed a doctors note!!!! The note cost more than I would have made that day, but I was in too much pain to go in. One of the best days of my life was walking in to hand in my resignation letter.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo you have any clue as to how many man hours are put into cleaning/re-arranging our stores due to panic stricken General Managers? These are hours that would have been better used all through the month to get merchandise out, to keep the store looking lovely consistently or to simply service the customers.
    Do you have any idea how many times there are only 3 employees in a store in an evening? When you discovered that you could still make a profit off of just a few people staffing the store, you lost a lot more. You lost the ability to control theft, you lost the respect from staff, you lost excellent staff willing to put up with the nonsense. And do you have any clue as to the amount of merchandise that is shoved into receiving for the linens department? I know without any doubt, that if I performed my job as poorly as your buyers, I would have been fired long ago. What is wrong with you that you need 700-1000 quilts in a Florida store in the summer?

Could be better

Merchandising Manager (Current Employee)
    Florence, SC

Prostraining you learn everything provides decent experience

Conswork life balance, difficult to advance

Advice to Senior Managementpromotions, support for your fellow managers

Worked for Stein Mart? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stein Mart reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Stein Mart CEO Jay Stein. All 135 reviews posted anonymously by Stein Mart employees.