Stein Mart Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
2.9

Stein Mart Chairman & Interim CEO Jay Stein
Jay Stein

Pros
  • The employee discount is nice and employee of the month is also a nice perk (in 14 reviews)

• Great merchandise at great prices (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is low even for people who are there for years (in 6 reviews)

• Long, long hours for management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

BAD DECISION.

I have been working at Stein Mart

Pros

Steinmart has decided to open on Thanksgiving...from 5pm-10pm. For a company that prides itself on being so customer friendly (all of a sudden) perhaps it's time to be a little more friendly to your INTERNAL customers.
    All year long we are the ones on the front line of the battlefield, we deal with the customers, we deal with the ever changing sales and promotions that would baffle even the most seasoned executive manager and we deal with the constant badgering and belittling from the higher ups when sales goals and profit margins are not met, yet the accolades are few and far between...And now you take away Thanksgiving.
    Is it not enough that starting the day after Thanksgiving our personal lives become non - existent for the next 2 months? Is it not enough that for us there is no "holiday season," there are 2 holiDAYS and you just cut that down to one?
    I sincerely hope your profits from 5-10 pm are worth what you will eventually be losing because this decision is not sitting well with anyone, and there will be fallout.

Cons

This company is becoming increasingly hard to be loyal to, and loyalty can be everything. The pay is mediocre at best, raises are trivial, and now you take Thanksgiving.

Is getting worse

I have been working at Stein Mart

Pros

Stein Mart boasts a family friendly work atmosphere and they do have programs to assist employees from employees.

Cons

Recently they decided to open right at dinner time this Thanksgiving. This was probably the worst employee relations decision I have witnessed yet. The store does not have dirt cheap televisions or amazing door busters that people will flock in for, even though it is not acceptable for the retailers who do have these things to forget about the people who run their businesses daily. I do not shop companies that open on these holidays simply because they can have that sale the next day and allow their employees the two days a year they can devote solely to family. Day in day out you are reminded how terrible you are, and we push on. We are plagued with sales every day where you must move the store, scan this, set that, remove this, and then told not to be task oriented and provide customer service. It has become thankless and exhausting, but opening on Thanksgiving was the lowest blow yet. While the people who made this terrible decision enjoy dinner with THEIR families, we will give thanks to Stein Mart for proving how little you care about your employees.

Every day is challenging.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Stein Mart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, beautiful product, will relocate talented people.moving ahead as a company.

Cons

Time management skills a must... There's never enough time. Energy spent on "visits" is insane!

Choose customer service oriented managers, train and develop managers.

Customer Service Lead

Former Employee - Customer Service Lead in Hurst, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Lead in Hurst, TX

I worked at Stein Mart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Possibilities to move up
    Discount
    Realistic sales goals
    Co-workers like family
    Great customers

Cons

Even management hated their jobs
    Pay less than industry average
    Long hours
    Limited hours flexibility
    Unrealistic CC goals

This is more advice to corporate, not management at the store level. Corporate needs to provide more support and benefits to their management teams. They put such pressure on them to make sales and credit cards, while paying them less than the industry average. It was common for management to work 60 hours a week, especially around the holidays.

Complex

I have been working at Stein Mart

Pros

Great people, very hard working, good sales, good merchandise, a variety of things to choose from.

Cons

Tight payroll, little pay for a lot of work, no raises when deserved, annoying customers always expecting a discount when not permitted. Overall pay was the biggest issue

Take into consideration the amount of work the actual employees have to do and are not being paid their worth.

Worked to death

Current Employee - Merchandising Lead
    Current Employee - Merchandising Lead

I have been working at Stein Mart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ok. Most people are nice. No problems with requesting time-off. 25% merchandise discount, even on sale items.

Cons

I used to love working at Stein Mart, but no more. We worked to death because there are not enough people on; no appreciation from management; back stabbing and gossipping, even from store manager; stock rooms are death traps. I love retail but it's so low-paying, especially for the amount of work involved, that I'm looking elsewhere. We all discuss our poverty situations while the manager, probably earning $40-$50K, complains about how much she has to do.

Hire managers who understand that appreciation, and not criticism, is the way to get an employee to like working for you. I think you are losing money, not saving, by severly cutting payroll so much- as the only one in the department most times, how we be on the floor selling if we are in the back spending half an hour looking for a chair, and then risk our lives trying to get it off the top shelf or from under a pile of furniture boxes? Customer service is immensely stressed, yet you better have your sales set on time and get the freight out of receiving asap before the next truck deposits 455 boxes.

An "ok" company to work for

Current Employee - Operations Lead in Daphne, AL
    Current Employee - Operations Lead in Daphne, AL

I have been working at Stein Mart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working as ops lead you typically work 8-5 Monday through Friday

Cons

my opinion is that employees are underpaid for that they do for their job

Area Loss Prevention

Current Employee - Area Loss Prevention Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Area Loss Prevention Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Stein Mart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Company has more like a family athmosphere from the regional directors to the managers in the store. Not like any other big box retiailer.

Cons

Pay ok but lower than a lot of other companies.

Keep doing what you are doing. Seems like the company is trending upwards.

Slow to promote but mostly promotes from within.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Stein Mart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee discount and the merchandise were great. The job variety was good because I worked in every department as a sales associate.

Cons

Getting promoted would have taken me two-three years and the store I worked in was heavily micro-managed by the stores manager and area manager.

Quit micro managing and learn to spot talent early on for promotion.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Stein Mart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, stable enviornment, clean

Cons

The wages are low and work load can be high.

Give equal treatment among all employees when it comes to breaks and requests off.

Stein Mart Photos