Steiner Education Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.6
Leonard I. Fluxman

1. If it weren't for the corporate hand downs...

I worked at Steiner Education full-time

Pros

Baltimore School of Massage York Campus is a great place for students to really learn about themselves and the body. I truly enjoyed my students, our teachers, and the majority of our administrative staff. They were always flexible with my family's needs.

Cons

The pay is unfortunately low. The benefits are expensive and threadbare. The direction and demands of the higher level corporate staff can be conflicting because it's not always in the best interest of the student... This is for profit education.

Advice to Management

Keep on working hard for the students. They see it and it matters.

Don't Work here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Steiner Education

Pros

Campus level staff was ok to work with. loved working with the students and the staff was very helpful toward one another

Cons

no advancement or raises whatsoever and corporate only cares for numbers. as a salaried employee is was standard to work up to a 60 work week. No ethics either.

Advice to Management

nothing they will not change. This company will always have a revolving doors when it comes to most of the employees.

High performance required, little pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Steiner Education

Pros

They want the best out of you. If you commit to them, they will find a place for you long-term. Benefits are decent.

Cons

They only hire temps ( including me at one time), which created a low quality work environment. Most people could barely show up for work, and a lot of people would leave after a few days. Managers were on edge, and micromanaged because they have dealt with so many problem employees they have to keep a tight leash on everything.

Advice to Management

Loosen up. Trust us a little more.

Director

I worked at Steiner Education full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My manager and staff we excellent people and worked very hard to make a difference in students lives.

Cons

Corporate does not care about the staff, students, or facilities. They will work you to death, if they can, and then complain that you haven't done enough. The only thing that matters is the bottom-line and they don't care if they indebt students that have no real chance of successfully completing the education - only the enrollment matters. The facilities are old and outdated but there is no effort except at the campus level, no corporate support or funds, to make what they have somewhat presentable. Instructors walkout, often, because of the lack of support and demoralizing corporate management. There is no work life balance if you are a manger or director, you are expected to be available at all times even if you are on a scheduled day off or vacation. Benefits are non existent and the meager insurance they offer is outrageously expensive, basically you pay the entire premium.

Advice to Management

The staff you have are some of the best and most hardworking people - don't use and abuse them just to pad your bottom line.

Worked for one of Steiner Education group's schools.

Former Employee - Intructor
    Former Employee - Intructor

I worked at Steiner Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the close knit environment or teaching at the campus and being a part of the transformational process students experienced throughout their program. Very rewarding experience that changed my life.

Cons

Steiner did little to invest in their school campuses - our equipment both in and out of the classrooms was outdated and embarrassing to use. Pay raises and benefits such as extra vacation days take over 2 years to earn, regardless of performance.

Advice to Management

Invest a little more in your schools and maybe they'll return a better investment and improve employee morale. It's hard to sell a school program to a tech savvy generation when your equipment and resources are seriously outdated.

Reconsider Your Options

I worked at Steiner Education part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love massage. Colleagues and students were great!

Cons

Management is corrupt, policies are insufficient, curriculum needs to be revised and refocused. Pay is ok IF they will give you full time.

8. Overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Administrative
    Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at Steiner Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I always loved my co-workers on a campus level. Students were great and it was such a fun program to work with. I promoted up quickly as well.

Cons

Raises are non existent unless you get promoted, not even a measly cost of living raise. However there are always plenty of hours expected from salaried, exempt employees. I'm talking 55-60 hours a week on a regular basis. Benefits were so bad it was actually cheaper for me to buy my own health insurance as an individual, even before health care reform. There was a lack of support from upper management, making everything that much more stressful. It felt as though each employee was expected to do the work of two or three people.

Advice to Management

Your employees are not robots, and working your staff into the ground is destroying the best massage school in the country.

9. Corporate Office does not care about their employees

Current Employee - Education in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Education in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Steiner Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The students are great to be around and the staff at the local campus are hard working and amazing!

Cons

The corporate office requires the employees to work way over 40 hours and push more duties on you. When you request for support they will ignore all requests. Several employees will work 50-60 hours under salary and will still be required to do more. The instructors will work 14 hours days more then one day a week and are still expected to work 8 hours on Fri even though there are no classes. They are the cheapest company ever!

Advice to Management

Value the people who are working hard for you and give raises. Put out a little more for your employees and you will see quality in the result.

Corporate simply doesn't care about you.

Former Employee - Instructor in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Instructor in Richardson, TX

I worked at Steiner Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The students for the most part are great to work with. The local campus management and team are all incredibly hard working and fun to be around. The curriculum itself is very good if you can find someone qualified to teach it.

Cons

If you are full time on salary, they will absolutely work you to death. People there are working 6-7 days per week, working all three shifts or split shifts back to back. When I was full time I was teaching 32-36 hours per week even though corporate policy is supposed to be 20-24. I was putting in 60 hours a week easily. However, if I needed off they still dock PTO regardless of overtime and if you work 40 before Friday, you're still required to come in all day. They do not care one bui about your family life or personal needs. They preach about a positive student experience but all the new policies and regulations do nothing but create resentment by students and instructors and creates a ton more work.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach.

Contradiction between "helping prospective students" and "doing whatever it takes to get the enrollment."

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Steiner Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free massage is about all there is.

Cons

Led by people who have no idea how to run a business/school, shady overtime rules, constant criticizing, job never done well enough.

Advice to Management

Actually put seasoned Admission Reps in positions of leadership instead of having a number cruncher tell me how to do my job.

RSS Feed </> Embed