Steiner Education Reviews

1. High performance required, little pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Steiner Education

Pros

They want the best out of you. If you commit to them, they will find a place for you long-term. Benefits are decent.

Cons

They only hire temps ( including me at one time), which created a low quality work environment. Most people could barely show up for work, and a lot of people would leave after a few days. Managers were on edge, and micromanaged because they have dealt with so many problem employees they have to keep a tight leash on everything.

Advice to Management

Loosen up. Trust us a little more.

2. Director

I worked at Steiner Education full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My manager and staff we excellent people and worked very hard to make a difference in students lives.

Cons

Corporate does not care about the staff, students, or facilities. They will work you to death, if they can, and then complain that you haven't done enough. The only thing that matters is the bottom-line and they don't care if they indebt students that have no real chance of successfully completing the
    education - only the enrollment matters. The facilities are old and outdated but there is no effort except at the campus level, no corporate support or funds, to make what they have somewhat presentable. Instructors walkout, often, because of the lack of support and demoralizing corporate management. There is no work life balance if you are a manger or director, you are expected to be available at all times even if you are on a scheduled day off or vacation. Benefits are non existent and the meager insurance they offer is outrageously expensive, basically you pay the entire premium.

Advice to Management

The staff you have are some of the best and most hardworking people - don't use and abuse them just to pad your bottom line.

3. Worked for one of Steiner Education group's schools.

Former Employee - Intructor
    Former Employee - Intructor

I worked at Steiner Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the close knit environment or teaching at the campus and being a part of the transformational process students experienced throughout their program. Very rewarding experience that changed my life.

Cons

Steiner did little to invest in their school campuses - our equipment both in and out of the classrooms was outdated and embarrassing to use. Pay raises and benefits such as extra vacation days take over 2 years to earn, regardless of performance.

Advice to Management

Invest a little more in your schools and maybe they'll return a better investment and improve employee morale. It's hard to sell a school program to a tech savvy generation when your equipment and resources are seriously outdated.

Reconsider Your Options

I worked at Steiner Education part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love massage. Colleagues and students were great!

Cons

Management is corrupt, policies are insufficient, curriculum needs to be revised and refocused. Pay is ok IF they will give you full time.

6. Corporate Office does not care about their employees

Current Employee - Education in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Education in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Steiner Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The students are great to be around and the staff at the local campus are hard working and amazing!

Cons

The corporate office requires the employees to work way over 40 hours and push more duties on you. When you request for support they will ignore all requests. Several employees will work 50-60 hours under salary and will still be required to do more. The instructors will work 14 hours days more then one day a week and are still expected to work 8 hours on Fri even though there are no classes. They are the cheapest company ever!

Advice to Management

Value the people who are working hard for you and give raises. Put out a little more for your employees and you will see quality in the result.

7. Overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Administrative
    Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at Steiner Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I always loved my co-workers on a campus level. Students were great and it was such a fun program to work with. I promoted up quickly as well.

Cons

Raises are non existent unless you get promoted, not even a measly cost of living raise. However there are always plenty of hours expected from salaried, exempt employees. I'm talking 55-60 hours a week on a regular basis. Benefits were so bad it was actually cheaper for me to buy my own health insurance as an individual, even before health care reform. There was a lack of support from upper management, making everything that much more stressful. It felt as though each employee was expected to do the work of two or three people.

Advice to Management

Your employees are not robots, and working your staff into the ground is destroying the best massage school in the country.

Corporate simply doesn't care about you.

I worked at Steiner Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The students for the most part are great to work with. The local campus management and team are all incredibly hard working and fun to be around. The curriculum itself is very good if you can find someone qualified to teach it.

Cons

If you are full time on salary, they will absolutely work you to death. People there are working 6-7 days per week, working all three shifts or split shifts back to back. When I was full time I was teaching 32-36 hours per week even though corporate policy is supposed to be 20-24. I was putting in 60 hours a week easily. However, if I needed off they still dock PTO regardless of overtime and if you work 40 before Friday, you're still required to come in all day. They do not care one bui about your family life or personal needs. They preach about a positive student experience but all the new policies and regulations do nothing but create resentment by students and instructors and creates a ton more work.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach.

Contradiction between "helping prospective students" and "doing whatever it takes to get the enrollment."

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Steiner Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free massage is about all there is.

Cons

Led by people who have no idea how to run a business/school, shady overtime rules, constant criticizing, job never done well enough.

Advice to Management

Actually put seasoned Admission Reps in positions of leadership instead of having a number cruncher tell me how to do my job.

Proprietary Education -

Former Employee - Career Services
    Former Employee - Career Services

I worked at Steiner Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Heavily promotes from within company

Cons

doesn't pay well for the work you have to do.

Advice to Management

wouldn't matter - they don't listen

Great Local Team, Horrible Corporate Management!

I worked at Steiner Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My local team of instructors and administrators were awesome! Everyone was very supportive and helped each other out. It was a positive environment 90% of the time. The class sizes were manageable most of the time and the students were great to work with. Good core values and great education.

Cons

We were a new campus in a new state. While some of the issues came from the state requirements, a lot of what happened felt like it could have been avoided with better planning. By the 3rd term, we were in the classroom over 40 hours per week (yet the company policy is 20 in the classroom and 20 admin hours). I'd regularly work all 3 shifts 1-2x per week, open after closing, split shifts where I'd open, have 1-6:30 off then class from 7-1030. It was an absolute nightmare. When I went to corporate about the scheduling, the response I got was basically "Just deal with it". They claimed they were looking for more help to hire but I never saw it happen. By the 5th term, There were no original instructors left and half the admin staff had found other employment as well.

Advice to Management

Take care of your staff and they will take care of you. Making staff and employees work harder and longer without proper compensation will drive anyone out if it happens too long. Basing salaries off what you pay instructors in other states doesn't work. You have to be competitive in the region. Letting the instructor have their own teaching style is crucial as well. We are not robots who will regurgitate information for you. That is NOT teaching. Loosen the reigns a little and let people's personalities come through.