Steiner Education

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014
1.6

Leonard I. Fluxman

Worked for one of Steiner Education group's schools.

Former Employee - Intructor
    Former Employee - Intructor

I worked at Steiner Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the close knit environment or teaching at the campus and being a part of the transformational process students experienced throughout their program. Very rewarding experience that changed my life.

Cons

Steiner did little to invest in their school campuses - our equipment both in and out of the classrooms was outdated and embarrassing to use. Pay raises and benefits such as extra vacation days take over 2 years to earn, regardless of performance.

Invest a little more in your schools and maybe they'll return a better investment and improve employee morale. It's hard to sell a school program to a tech savvy generation when your equipment and resources are seriously outdated.

Overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Administrative
    Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at Steiner Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I always loved my co-workers on a campus level. Students were great and it was such a fun program to work with. I promoted up quickly as well.

Cons

Raises are non existent unless you get promoted, not even a measly cost of living raise. However there are always plenty of hours expected from salaried, exempt employees. I'm talking 55-60 hours a week on a regular basis. Benefits were so bad it was actually cheaper for me to buy my own health insurance as an individual, even before health care reform. There was a lack of support from upper management, making everything that much more stressful. It felt as though each employee was expected to do the work of two or three people.

Your employees are not robots, and working your staff into the ground is destroying the best massage school in the country.

Corporate Office does not care about their employees

Current Employee - Education  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Education in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Steiner Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The students are great to be around and the staff at the local campus are hard working and amazing!

Cons

The corporate office requires the employees to work way over 40 hours and push more duties on you. When you request for support they will ignore all requests. Several employees will work 50-60 hours under salary and will still be required to do more. The instructors will work 14 hours days more then one day a week and are still expected to work 8 hours on Fri even though there are no classes. They are the cheapest company ever!

Value the people who are working hard for you and give raises. Put out a little more for your employees and you will see quality in the result.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate simply doesn't care about you.

Former Employee - Instructor  in  Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Instructor in Richardson, TX

I worked at Steiner Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

The students for the most part are great to work with. The local campus management and team are all incredibly hard working and fun to be around. The curriculum itself is very good if you can find someone qualified to teach it.

Cons

If you are full time on salary, they will absolutely work you to death. People there are working 6-7 days per week, working all three shifts or split shifts back to back. When I was full time I was teaching 32-36 hours per week even though corporate policy is supposed to be 20-24. I was putting in 60 hours a week easily. However, if I needed off they still dock PTO regardless of overtime and if you work 40 before Friday, you're still required to come in all day. They do not care one bui about your family life or personal needs. They preach about a positive student experience but all the new policies and regulations do nothing but create resentment by students and instructors and creates a ton more work.

Practice what you preach.

Contradiction between "helping prospective students" and "doing whatever it takes to get the enrollment."

Current Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Steiner Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free massage is about all there is.

Cons

Led by people who have no idea how to run a business/school, shady overtime rules, constant criticizing, job never done well enough.

Actually put seasoned Admission Reps in positions of leadership instead of having a number cruncher tell me how to do my job.

Proprietary Education -

Former Employee - Career Services
    Former Employee - Career Services

I worked at Steiner Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Heavily promotes from within company

Cons

doesn't pay well for the work you have to do.

wouldn't matter - they don't listen

Great Local Team, Horrible Corporate Management!

Former Employee - Instructor  in  Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Instructor in Richardson, TX

I worked at Steiner Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

My local team of instructors and administrators were awesome! Everyone was very supportive and helped each other out. It was a positive environment 90% of the time. The class sizes were manageable most of the time and the students were great to work with. Good core values and great education.

Cons

We were a new campus in a new state. While some of the issues came from the state requirements, a lot of what happened felt like it could have been avoided with better planning. By the 3rd term, we were in the classroom over 40 hours per week (yet the company policy is 20 in the classroom and 20 admin hours). I'd regularly work all 3 shifts 1-2x per week, open after closing, split shifts where I'd open, have 1-6:30 off then class from 7-1030. It was an absolute nightmare. When I went to corporate about the scheduling, the response I got was basically "Just deal with it". They claimed they were looking for more help to hire but I never saw it happen. By the 5th term, There were no original instructors left and half the admin staff had found other employment as well.

Take care of your staff and they will take care of you. Making staff and employees work harder and longer without proper compensation will drive anyone out if it happens too long. Basing salaries off what you pay instructors in other states doesn't work. You have to be competitive in the region. Letting the instructor have their own teaching style is crucial as well. We are not robots who will regurgitate information for you. That is NOT teaching. Loosen the reigns a little and let people's personalities come through.

Great People

I worked at Steiner Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with. Decent hours. Alternate weekends off. Free massages.

Cons

The pay was not very high.

Poor Employee Retention.

I worked at Steiner Education

Pros

Excellent curriculum, one of the better ones in the business.

Cons

Regardless if you have one of the best massage therapy education programs on the planet, for the amount of work salaried employees have to put in each week (50 to 60), the low pay is not worth making a career for yourself within this organization.

Look at ways to increase salaries and wages, to help retain your better instructors. Until then, current and prospective employees will always view you as just a stepping stone to move on to bigger and better things and your company will not achieve it's full potential.

Inspirational Dialogue to motivate employees and students but Corporate does not support the dialogue

Former Employee - Instructor  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Instructor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Steiner Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a former teacher, it was amazing to see students become bodyworkers and fulfill their dreams. I loved sharing my extensive experience now that I am a retired therapist. The curriculum is great and provides an amazing foundation for the students to begin their career.

Cons

Required to work Fridays after putting in over 40 hours Monday through Thursday, no overtime because we are salary- but we are not paid if we are out sick after a holiday. Routinely scheduled for triple shifts because of a shortage of teachers. The admissions do not screen students, teachers are asked to put up with students that are mentally ill and physically unable to perform a 40 minute student massage when this career is very physically demanding. I was screamed at by students, had students walk out of the classroom because they didn't like my attitude when they were late- and they were "written up" but allowed to remain ( they don't want to lose that federal money!) The pay is really low and the demand is high which results in a constant turn over of supervisors and teaching staff.

Re-implement Classroom managers and allow the teachers to just teach their craft! Stricter policies about dismissing students.

Worked for Steiner Education? Contribute to the Community!