Steinhafels Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.8
Gary Steinhafel

Tired of the meat grinder.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Steinhafels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for a retail job. The job is to meet and talk to new people every day, so can be a lot of fun.

Cons

Sales management. They believe in the meat-grinder approach to staffing with motivation through write-ups. The bottom 20% of each department gets a warning or a write up every month (whether they've hit their minimums or not) as "performance management." Also, commission-only sales so you always feel the need to watch your back. If that weren't bad enough, the Steinhafels want their *salaried* managers to sell a third as much as salespeople, pitting the management against the sales force, so you again have to watch your back. Even the top salespeople don't feel appreciated by this company.

Advice to Management

They wouldn't take any suggestions seriously anyway. ESPECIALLY not from a salesperson.

Little Value in Employees

Former Employee - Sales and Customer Service in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Sales and Customer Service in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Steinhafels part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The flexibility of scheduling was nice. Networking provided through employment as excellent.

Cons

Treatment of employees was sub-par. An inability to hear a good a idea and test it out, rigid environment to work in where change was slow. Constant turn-over an moving of management. Pretty boring work, sales employees often created messes just to make the sale and then expected customer service representatives to clean it up and deal with angry customers.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the employees you have more.

Have to swim with the sharks.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Steinhafels full-time

Pros

Beautiful store with a huge selection of furniture.

Cons

They do not live by their value of integrity. The sales floor is not well-managed, and some dishonest associates are allowed to thrive and prosper. Those who live by the rules do not benefit from it.

Advice to Management

Use common sense in hiring and firing. Don't hire someone who clearly cannot learn the computer system, and don't fire a hard-worker who knows the job and is in a slump on ONE of the many goals required.

Went from great to horrible as soon as Management Changed

Current Employee - Warehouse Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Warehouse Employee in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Steinhafels full-time

Pros

When I started this job, I loved everything about this company from the handling of customers to the product delivery. They are always hiring (pro) I guess? Management is so disorganized you can get away with murder.. (pro)? They do have a basketball court, a walking trail and tennis court - however none of this is being maintained anymore due to the departure of the previous director. They buy pizza, which seems to be their answer to everything. They currently offer a max 30 cent raise for warehouse workers, after your first 90 days and then again on one year. Theres health insurance, a lousy 401k and PTO

Cons

I have 10 managers. These people have never heard the phrase "too many cooks spoil the broth" Seriously, you can get 10 different answers to one question from every manager! The place is literally falling apart, maintenance requests have been ignored for several months. Your co workers will be treated differently than you and every single instance lacks consistancy. AKA they will write you up and let your co-worker get away with the same thing they write you up for. Everything is a number to these people, and so are you. The furniture we sell isn't even fit to sit on, let alone set your coffee cup on. con: we now make money off of furniture damage returns! con: they are requiring us to work all holidays now due to the "busy work load" con: they are not allowing people to transfer into higher positions due to a lack of staff! So if you apply for a better job, they'll ensure that you don't get it! Because if you do, they will lose a person in their department. con: you will have to work here ten years to make survival, but not quite a living. con: your lack of maintenance and care has injured our workforce, several times now. My co workers are all in pain and hurting. con: your "health insurance plan" covers part of an eye exam, but if you want glasses coverage you must buy dental - which covers vision. Have fun using your "benefits" con: Human resources is incompetent and doesn't communicate effectively, which I thought was their job????

Advice to Management

First fire the director, then fire the person under him and get rid of about four managers. Actually enforce your policies and dictate them clearly. Maintain your property, your vendors have told me the place is falling apart!!!!! Screen candidates better, I have been working with several drug addicts lately! You are making over 500 million dollars a year, you owe us all a raise.

Comfortable, social environment but very high sales expectations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenosha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenosha, WI

I worked at Steinhafels

Pros

Store environment is beautiful, very well-cleaned and designed. Good employee discounts on furniture. Company will spare no expense to make sure the employees are given what tools they need to complete their job to the best of their abilities.

Cons

Work atmosphere is negatively competitive due to sales quotas and poor market. Some on the management team try to rule with an iron fist.

Advice to Management

Offer more positive feedback and encouragement, acknowledge jobs well-done. Use constructive criticism along with professional respect that can promote personal growth rather than turn employees off.

Times are a changin'

Former Employee - Sales in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Sales in Madison, WI

I worked at Steinhafels part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growing company and a market leader, good policies that makes selling easier, good advertising to drive traffic, 401k match and profit sharing, competitive commission pay, and ok insurance plans.

Cons

Company has stated values that it doesn't live by, minimum standards for production increased by decent intervals each of the last 3-4 years causing a stressful environment that is very cut throat. Treatment of sales staff is not consistent and rules are not clearly laid out; not that rules matter as long as the sale is made mentality.

8. Interesting summer job

Former Employee - Laborer
    Former Employee - Laborer

I worked at Steinhafels

Pros

Respectable company, employee discount, flexibility with schedule

Cons

Poor communication from upper management to outside employees, early start time for outside work

Advice to Management

Must do a better job communicating to the laborers if something needs to be done a certain way and by a certain time.

Typical furniture sales

I have been working at Steinhafels

Pros

Sales people have opportunity to make money in furniture stores Recognized name Good benefits

Cons

High Pressure Ever increasing hours Little home time

Advice to Management

Ease up a bit on employees. People are starting to burn out

Good Company

Current Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Home Furnishing Consultant in Madison, WI

I have been working at Steinhafels part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people Make $30,000+ a year working part time if your good Family owned Free lunch on Saturdays (and not just subs and pizza... Good food!) Flexible scheduling

Cons

Always work weekends Top earners are less likely to receive disciplinary action for breaking floor rules. Acceptable performance standards must be met each quarter. HAVE to sell protection plans and design packages. It can be stressful!

Advice to Management

Allow Sales Associates to leave early from time to time without any of the guff. We work on 100% commission, if a customer hasn't walked in the store in 2 hours why are you keeping us all? Be creative and make up fun furniture /vendor knowledge games or store tagging challenges to determine which employee(s) of the handful inquiring, gets an early out.

11. Good company, poorly handled mattress stores

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Steinhafels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits Starting pay plus commission Excellent training Great coworkers

Cons

Fluctuating MONTHLY goals Goals not based on customer traffic Sales, management, and department heads only want to communicate through email

Advice to Management

Don't treat the mattress store employees as sub-human... It's understandable that the purpose is to drive business to the main stores, but when it felt like no one cared about the mattress stores.

RSS Feed </> Embed