Stella & Dot

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Jessica Herrin

Didn't pan out for me

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou have the flexibility to work from home and make as much or little money as you like. Great team of support from corporate and your local up-line of women.

ConsIt was very difficult for me to book trunk shows even though I was trying to work the tools I was given, I still had a hard time booking shows and did not want to resort to asking my family and friends. I eventually decided this kind of work was not for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think corporate in San Fran does an excellent job!

Internal Chaos and Abuse of Power

Independent Stylist (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe Chief Creative Officer CCO Blythe Harris is talented and authentic. The products are excellent overall, but the business side of the company is in turmoil and chaotic at best.

ConsThe CEO micromanages and bullies through the use of intimidation at every level. Behind closed doors, there is contempt for all including other execs, delight center associates, stylists, and even customers. There is a concerted effort to create a sorority-like culture among the masses, yet the CEO exudes superiority to all. If you don't drink the corporate "koolaid", then you will be targeted and eventually removed, even if it's of your own volition. Deceit abounds almost to the point of creating a culture of lies. Buzz words are tossed around, but have no real meaning. Women are "empowered" only to become minions. The company's mission statement is not put into practice. Individuality is suppressed. "Boldness" and "confidence" are undervalued and even discouraged, unless one is blindly complimenting the CEO and stroking an already out-of-control ego.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company's billing practices, inventory management, and order fulfillment are out of control. Against both the FCBA and the FTC Merchandise Rule, credit cards are not just authorized, but actually CHARGED, well before orders are shipped or have any type of tracking information available to customers or even their own stylists. Unless the current CEO is reigned in or replaced by someone who is less of a tyrant, then this company has no chance to move forward.

Great company, huge growth potential.

ProsStella & Dot is changing the Direct Sales Industry in a positive way and it is exciting to be with such an innovative company that is mission driven.

ConsIf you have a hard time with change, you will have a problem here.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecisions seem to be made unilaterally by the home office without input from the field and this has caused a few setbacks.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved working at the DC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI really liked my supervisor on second shift and really enjoyed working with my coworkers. The hours were 5 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday so I liked that also.

ConsPeople were on their cell phones all the time and I didn't like that. No one would do anything about it so I just gave up.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the floor and enforce the rules that you don't want people to break.

Working @ Stella & Dot ( not as a stylist)

San Bruno, CA

ProsOpen space and people open to new ideas

ConsChaotic management.
    Unprofessional work environment.
    Staff is hired and fired on whim!
    No work-life flexibility
    Lots and LOTS of politics that makes people think of leaving the minute they start work. Every 2 months I saw 5-6 leaving and 2-3 hired. Including the VPs and Managers! Bad sign!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the Chaos, else you going down faster than lightening no matter how loudly the founder screams to show she is positive and nothing is wrong. We all know the company is sinking!

Toxic culture, NOT a tech company, executive team = sorority, sinking ship, a big lie

(Former Employee)

ProsLooking for mediocrity and complacency? This is the right company for you. You might even get promoted!
    Free $100 jewelry credit quarterly
    Coworkers - good people
    Free parking

ConsDon't be tempted by what you see from the outside. Internally it is one big mess.
    A culture of imitation NOT a culture of innovation.
    Culture is REALLY toxic. Lots of politics and passive aggressive backstabbing.
    Smart and talented people leave running. Very high turnover, including exec levels.
         - Most of the smart execs left because they saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship before it sinks.
    What's left is a terrible and disconnected leadership team.
         - They spin "stories" to the CEO to gain approval and cover their mistakes.
         - It is always someone else's fault and they can do no wrong.
    Lots of time spent on immaterial decisions and no time spent on solving real problems.
    Lots of lip service but they are empty promises.
    No transparency nor honesty with the real issues afflicting the company.
    Encourages no accountability whatsoever, especially at the exec level.

Hires 3rd rate execs who never made it to exec level at bigger companies because they don't have the skills. HUGE reason why S&D is failing. Business is managed by a few bad execs. If bigger companies could not absorb the risk when they managed only a fraction of the business, then S&D should think twice to let them manage all of the business. Why do you think sales is declining and such high turn over? Keep telling yourself it is the industry.

Schizophrenic direction. One minute this is the new shiny object that is the big idea. The next minute it is something else. Teams will work months on a project then at the last minute and right before the deadline, leadership changes their mind. The teams will have to do everything over again in a fraction of the time. The thoughtful good work is dropped and what is adopted is usually something thrown together at the last minute with lots of unforeseen problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and not the execs who feed you what you want to hear. They can tell you why things are or are not working with the business because they are closer to it.

Know your company's DNA. A growing start-up needs athletes with good decision making skills not politicking ivory tower specialists.

Let go of the the bad execs - the lapdogs. They are detrimental to growth of the business and bad for morale. They have cost the company millions $$ with their bad decisions. Don't be fooled by their politics.

Build trust with your employees through leading by example and through action.

All work and no play; work hard / don't play hard

(Current Employee)
    San Bruno, CA

ProsEmployees are all working diligently constantly trying to get the work done.

ConsEach employee handles work load of 2-3 positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis environment breeds only short timers.

Not what they claim

Independent Stylist (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsCustomer service for Stylists is great, generally speaking.

ConsYou need to have wealthy friends - or friends that have wealthy friends - because S&D stuff is expensive. You have to be ok with your Up-line being pushy - toward you! They make money when you do, so they push you to sell, sell, sell. It's not really "be your own boss". You have to be "pushy" to sell. Also they taut that you make 50% profit as a Stylist but in actuality, you make about 16% net, after you deduct all the "real" expenses. I found it wasn't really worth it. My samples & my clients' samples broke numerous times and considering the price point of the brand, the quality of crafstmanship should be way above-board. I quit as a Stylist for all of these reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe truthful about how much % profit/salary a Stylist makes as you recruit.

Feel Like A Sucker

Independent Stylist (Former Employee)
    Tuscaloosa, AL

ProsCute jewelry. Some nice people. Would be fun if you've got friends with cash to burn.

ConsI don't know if this is so much a negative review of Stella & Dot as it is the multi-level marketing experience in general. But nonetheless it happened to be Stella & Dot that suckered me in, so here goes:

I had a friend who started selling Stella & Dot, and signed up to be on her "team." I had serious, serious reservations, knowing that this was multi level marketing, but thought "why not give it a try? She says she's making money."

Well, bottom line, as we all know, is that to be successful in MLM you have to have friends, or at least a network of people you know, with a lot of disposable income. Unfortunately for me, I did not. Stella & Dot's jewelry is pricey, and I had numerous friends I invited to shows say things like "I was going to come until I saw how much the jewelry is." Heck, I thought the same thing when I went to my friend's first party.

Additionally, I witnessed my friend, and myself, becoming the type of person we all hate-the kind of person who is extremely pushy when it comes to making pitches for hosting parties, joining the "team" etc. Looking back now I'm actually rather embarrassed about it.

Finally, I echo what others have said about the quality of the jewelry. Definitely not worth the price. I had a pair of earrings that retailed for $75 break within a few months of owning them. The quality of the product is definitely not worth the price.

At the end of the day, I have felt extremely silly at being taken in by this pyramid scheme, Luckily all I paid into to joint was about $200, but to be honest I don't even think I made that back.

great place to work

Leader In the Field (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosoutstanding group of women out in the field, genuinely love the company and the product.

Consdisconnect from HO to the field.

Advice to Senior Managementspend more time with your leaders.

Worked for Stella & Dot? Contribute to the Community!

Stella & Dot Videos

Stella & Dot – Why Work for Us?

Stella and Dot, an Inc. 500 Fastest-Growing Company, is a San Francisco based social selling company that creates flexible entrepreneurial opportunities for women. Our boutique-style jewelry and accessories line is… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stella & Dot reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Stella & Dot CEO Jessica Herrin. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Stella & Dot employees.