Stella & Dot Reviews

Jessica Herrin

AMAZING!

Current Employee - Associate Stylist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Stylist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Stella & Dot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The community is amazing, the opportunities to earn free product is awesome, the discount (25-50%) is unbelievable, the opportunity to earn is completely up to you, I could go on and on.

Cons

Purely commission based so sometimes it's hard to earn, but if you put your mind to it you can do it!

Nothing

Too many changes, too fast, too many errors...so much time wasted and goodwill squandered!

Current Employee - Senior Stylist
    Current Employee - Senior Stylist

I have been working at Stella & Dot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Attractive products that customers really like (although they are overpriced and less expensive similar products can be found elsewhere)
    We used to earn lots of free jewelry as a reward for decent personal sales, not anymore
    Great customer service reps (in general), they are mostly helpful and accomodating, easy to return and exchange
    Website is very attractive and light years ahead of other Direct Sales companies
    Neat idea of creating an iPad app for Stylists (no other direct sales company has it)
    Amazing community of enthusiastic stylists who truly love the brand and make this job fun and interesting
    It is pretty easy to get your commission adjusted if their is an error of some kind and they don't hassle you about it
    Marketing materials (both paper and digital) are quite beautiful and convey a great message and brand image

Cons

Too many products in general and too many new launches with new items, it is hard to keep up and customers are overwhelmed by too many choices (I feel like I am in a constant state of rearranging my samples, ordering new ones, and selling off other ones at sample sales-- customers are getting used to just waiting for sample sales or discounts because of the new products coming so quickly and slightly older ones cycling out)
    Little bugs and weird flaws/limitations in the website that never get fixed (in spite of Stylists sending in feedback and actually calling home office about it)
    I was never able to get the iPad app to work 100% properly and never heard back on my technical questions
    They have reduced the amount of free jewelry you can earn and instead rolled out a $500 for $99 coupon which is more rigid and punitive to stylists should they receive a bad sample that they wish to exchange or return
    Product quality and durability is lacking and I constantly have to take returns on jewelry and bags, which erodes my confidence as a salesperson and burns my customers and hostesses over the long run (although many are happy to get a replacement item but it does diminish their enthusiasm for the product)
    I am not sure that Home Office is honest with Stylists about the overall return rate
    I wish the Home Office would give us a breakdown of customer bestsellers vs Stylist bestsellers -- on the website I am pretty sure that they are mixed together under "bestsellers" and I KNOW that my customers don't buy those statement necklaces but I am sure that stylists do. Generally the stylist field needs more information regarding which items are actually selling best to REAL customers not just stylists and hostesses
    We receive ZERO commission on all discounted hostess orders even when they spend a lot of $ out of pocket, which seems unfair when we often spend time selling items to hostesses as well
    New product lines seemed rushed out without proper quality assurance (many pieces of my engraved jewelry were arriving with off-center engraving)
    The E-Gift Card system doesn't work properly and sometimes customers don't receive their e-gift card! Crazy! It is being handled by a 3rd party vendor (apparently) and they should be fired!
    The 3rd party vendor that provides print materials and brandwear (Stella Print Shop) is overpriced and the quality is lacking, just another way that Stella & Dot must be squeezing more $ out of stylists thru special deals with 3rd party vendors to sell stuff to stylists
    Many times new products sell out very quickly and take a long time to get back in stock, meanwhile I have a "dead sample" on my table that I have to unload (since I can't currently place orders for that item if it has a long backorder wait time)
    There are SO many errors (both typos and content errors) in Stylist facing communications and confusing wording in our Comp Plan documents (they seriously need some better editing help!) Also the Product Alert list and Retired List never ever match up as they should (you discover new retired items on the Product Alert List by surprise/accident)
    Information being disseminated in the new Stylist Community/Knowledge base is inaccurate or confusing
    There is a lack of transparency and honesty regarding how long a sample will be in current product line and how quickly it will be retired (like some summer items being sold out and retired within a couple of weeks/months but they claim that they only retire 15% of the line every six months, in practice this is not true)
    False Feminism vibe--do we really have to work from home for pennies? Reality check needed or another message that makes more sense
    Consistent mid-range stylists (part time consistently active stylists) are not really recognized or rewarded properly. It seems like all the love goes to the higher ranks or the brand new ones (which makes you feel like this truly is a pyramid that is stacked against you)
    Jessica tells us how to engage in High Value Activities to increase your dollars per hour as a stylist, but the constant mistakes, errors, rushing, lack of quality control, website bugs, inventory problems-- all of this takes up hours of your time as a stylist which could be better spent booking and selling. Long wait times on customer service calls to deal with issues that are caused by the Company over promising or just making silly mistakes-- It really eats up your time and then you are exhausted and demoralized
    It bothers me that when we attend Fire Up your Fall and other training we have to pay our own way for the facility rental and food, parking
    When I attended Hoopla, I felt that it was a waste of time and money because the training was super basic and the "swag" was not that great AND I could have had the same exact training and info at home on my computer
    Too much general "positive attitude" training and not enough REAL sales training with actual facts and figures for adult women with college degrees. Stop talking down to me and be transparent. GIve me numbers and facts, I can handle it!

I would love it if the company would actually listen to part time or mid ranking Stylists more and not just hear what they want to hear from super star stylists at the top
    Also they need to simplify the product offerings and slow down, it is just too overwhelming to carry so many samples and constantly have to rotate / change them out due to new seasonal launches
    More transparency as far as quality issues, return rates, actual customer bestsellers vs Stylist bestsellers
    Clean up the website that you have with bug fixes and weird system limitations that have been in place for over two years instead of constantly upgrading the website but leaving old bugs in place

Extremely rewarding place to work

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast-paced, dynamic environment that provides a lot of opportunity for growth and professional development. Plenty of opportunity to add value. Company is very dedicated and focused on its mission. Colleagues are extremely bright, capable individuals who are great to work with. You have a lot of opportunities to purchase the fantastic product at a great discount.

Cons

If you are looking for a dull, low-key environment with not a lot of excitement, this is not the company for you.

Lack of transparency

Former Employee - Independent Stylist

I worked at Stella & Dot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company, great marketing and training.

Cons

Lack of transparency in how stylists are handled. Management is all about appearances. Difficult to earn income as stated by working the business part time.

Be honest about how situations are handled. Be sincere when working with those that are promoting your brand.

Awful place to work in the home office

I worked at Stella & Dot full-time

Pros

Had the ability to work from home when needed
    Great co-workers and met some great people
    Free fruit and nuts
    Good discount

Cons

CEO needs to be taken out of day to day decisions
    Internally everything is a huge mess - things are rushed and when launched is nuts
    Need to kiss butt to get promoted - the same 3 or 4 people who drank the cool aid are the ones to succeed but yet again are lazy
    Horrible leadership development if you don't join the sheep you will be stuck in the same position forever
    Execs get away with anything bc they know how to sell themselves to cover up the mess they made and forever throwing people under the bus

Promote the right people and who deserve it.

Started out as a cute little direct sales company.

Former Employee - Independent Stylist

I worked at Stella & Dot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Social aspect is fun, some designs are cute. Others look like they were picked from a catalog,

Cons

Problems with keeping product in stock. They make it difficult for the hobbyist stylist to succeed.

Exciting company, changing an industry

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Truly mission driven (creating flexible work opportunities for women), very nimble environment. Tons of growth opportunity. Very supportive co-workers. Recent additions/changes to management team are driving a positive change in culture and work environment. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Fast paced and not for the faint of heart. Lots of change- if you can't keep up you will not be happy. Focus on Stylists can trump focus on Home Office employees. A fair amount of turnover lately as people who couldn't keep up either chose to leave or were asked to leave.

Cleopatra's Sinking Royal Barge

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA

I worked at Stella & Dot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- All the nuts you can eat.
    - There are some wonderful people that work here.
    - Pretty much can do what you want as long as you don't make waves

Cons

- Executive leadership is a cabal of ineptitude
    - Business is constantly scrambling to stay relevant in a market of cheeper and better competitors
    - CEO's cult of personality is poisonous
    - Fake feminism that feeds on the idea that women need to work from home.
    - Technical leadership is non existent
    - Poor quality products (jewelry and software) that play second fiddle to marketing a lifestyle
    - Outsourcing from scratch platform development to Spain
    - Lack of upward mobility for even the highest rated employees

Hire a real CTO, take the CEO out of day to day decision making, promote people from within, and solidify your product.

Not worth it

I worked at Stella & Dot

Pros

Meeting new people, fine tuning your sales skills.

Cons

You are out your own money each time a new line releases. You uses to be able to earn free jewelry credits. That's no longer the case. Unless you are a higher up your just loosing money! The jewelry used to also be well made and well designed. Now it's all made in China and looks like everything else on the market.

Listen to your lowly stylists as we are the ones paying for your rent! Stop micro managing!

Internal Chaos and Abuse of Power

Current Employee - Independent Stylist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Independent Stylist in New York, NY

I have been working at Stella & Dot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Chief Creative Officer CCO Blythe Harris is talented and authentic. The products are excellent overall, but the business side of the company is in turmoil and chaotic at best.

Cons

The CEO micromanages and bullies through the use of intimidation at every level. Behind closed doors, there is contempt for all including other execs, delight center associates, stylists, and even customers. There is a concerted effort to create a sorority-like culture among the masses, yet the CEO exudes superiority to all. If you don't drink the corporate "koolaid", then you will be targeted and eventually removed, even if it's of your own volition. Deceit abounds almost to the point of creating a culture of lies. Buzz words are tossed around, but have no real meaning. Women are "empowered" only to become minions. The company's mission statement is not put into practice. Individuality is suppressed. "Boldness" and "confidence" are undervalued and even discouraged, unless one is blindly complimenting the CEO and stroking an already out-of-control ego.

This company's billing practices, inventory management, and order fulfillment are out of control. Against both the FCBA and the FTC Merchandise Rule, credit cards are not just authorized, but actually CHARGED, well before orders are shipped or have any type of tracking information available to customers or even their own stylists. Unless the current CEO is reigned in or replaced by someone who is less of a tyrant, then this company has no chance to move forward.