Stella & Dot Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
2.6

Jessica Herrin

Extremely rewarding place to work

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast-paced, dynamic environment that provides a lot of opportunity for growth and professional development. Plenty of opportunity to add value. Company is very dedicated and focused on its mission. Colleagues are extremely bright, capable individuals who are great to work with. You have a lot of opportunities to purchase the fantastic product at a great discount.

Cons

If you are looking for a dull, low-key environment with not a lot of excitement, this is not the company for you.

Awesome!

Current Employee - Independent Stylist  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Independent Stylist in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Stella & Dot part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training, beautiful products, extensive support system. You are responsible for your own income. Couldn't ask for more from this type of sales model.

Cons

If you don't sell, you don't make money!

Keep up the awesome training, and shared resources.

Exciting company, changing an industry

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Truly mission driven (creating flexible work opportunities for women), very nimble environment. Tons of growth opportunity. Very supportive co-workers. Recent additions/changes to management team are driving a positive change in culture and work environment. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Fast paced and not for the faint of heart. Lots of change- if you can't keep up you will not be happy. Focus on Stylists can trump focus on Home Office employees. A fair amount of turnover lately as people who couldn't keep up either chose to leave or were asked to leave.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, huge growth potential.

I have been working at Stella & Dot

Pros

Stella & Dot is changing the Direct Sales Industry in a positive way and it is exciting to be with such an innovative company that is mission driven.

Cons

If you have a hard time with change, you will have a problem here.

Decisions seem to be made unilaterally by the home office without input from the field and this has caused a few setbacks.

great place to work

Current Employee - Leader In the Field  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Leader In the Field in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

outstanding group of women out in the field, genuinely love the company and the product.

Cons

disconnect from HO to the field.

spend more time with your leaders.

The right place to grow as an engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been working on the Seattle team for quite a while now, and I'm glad to be in an engineering group with true professionals.

There are a number of reasons I'm happy at Stella & Dot (after 12 years at other companies, among them startups (big and small) and established businesses):

* The Seattle office is remote from the HQ in San Bruno, so we have the established strength of a solid company, yet work in an almost 100% engineering office, very tech-startup style. And since the Seattle team is growing every month, we're moving to a large, spacious office this month (with even more room to grow).
    * We have opportunities to work from home.
    * We are working toward the goal of continuous deployment (similar to Etsy).
    * Our group is proud of doing good work and it shows.
    * We don't like to take shortcuts that accrue technical debt. We engineer for the future, not just this sprint.
    * Testing, testing, and more automated testing.
    * Real work-life balance - you can leave the office at 5pm without the eyes of judgement upon you.
    * A startup feel without the typical startup's sub-par compensation. Compensation and benefits are generous (and free jewelry/accessories from time to time).
    * Provided with a MacBook pro and a 27 inch display on day one.
    * A complete dev environment with the goal to get you set up, productive, and committing code your first day.
    * Learn from smart people, and help others to grow.
    * Numerous outings and other opportunities to get to know each other without shop talk.
    * We have a process that keeps us on track but doesn't slow us down (we just hired a new scrum master in Seattle). So you don't get the everyday chaos of shifting priorities that can destroy a programmer's productivity.
    * Managers that are human, genuine, understanding, and don't expect you to be a robot.
    * A CEO that you can actually look up to and are excited to meet and see again. We've all dealt with CEOs that are weaksauce or just fake. Jessica is an amazing person and inspires people to be awesome.

Cons

* Surprisingly, we don't have a bona-fide coffee maker, but we have Zeitgeist Cafe just around the corner. I think we're getting a super coffee machine for the new office.
    * I'm not a fan of Pioneer Square, but we're moving deeper downtown this month (close to Pike Place market), so that will be fixed!

Keep up the good work. I see improvements every month that make our working environment and process better. Thanks for listening.

Amazing, powerful leadership with a focus on entrepreneurialism

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Stella & Dot

Pros

The top management is very focused on the expansion of the company, and in the CEO's words, "put more money in the hands of our valued Stylists". We internal folks behind the scenes at this powerhouse e-commerce DSA jewelry and lifestyle company live & breathe the mantra every day. We also are very focused the creation of a new platform to enhance the end user experience and create a unique social selling platform that will make our competitors cringe and scamper to copy. The Sequoia infusion of capital was just another testimony to the benchstrength we have in the top management team.

Cons

Seriously not many yet. They preach work/life balance, but as we all know during busy periods that is pretty much ignored and several departments have several employees burning the midnight oil to meet company-wide deliverables. The overall benefits package needs a complete and utter rehaul, and they can't seem to find an HR manager to suit the company's current needs plus growth, and the employees are still waiting......

Keep it going strong! A few small fixes to the employee benefit package, perhaps more mid-managment meetings across departmental lines to enhance communications. Not a whole lot of gripes honestly.

Loved working at the DC

I worked at Stella & Dot

Pros

I really liked my supervisor on second shift and really enjoyed working with my coworkers. The hours were 5 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday so I liked that also.

Cons

People were on their cell phones all the time and I didn't like that. No one would do anything about it so I just gave up.

Walk the floor and enforce the rules that you don't want people to break.

Good people, very flexible, poor management, hopefully getting better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time

Pros

I've worked with some of the best people I've ever met at Stella & Dot and learned some too. As a working mom, flexibility was important and they offered me that, from a lactation room right in the HQ, to time off even on short notice when I needed it and work from home days.

Cons

Sometimes management can be very unreasonable. In the field I work in, it's very difficult to set hard deadlines and expect that they will always be met - mostly due to unforeseen issues that crop up. It ends up with everyone working off hours within their mishmash of schedules. This is a recurring problem that has yet to be solved, but we've just hired new management that I hope can help address this.

Too many changes, too fast, too many errors...so much time wasted and goodwill squandered!

Current Employee - Senior Stylist
    Current Employee - Senior Stylist

I have been working at Stella & Dot part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Attractive products that customers really like (although they are overpriced and less expensive similar products can be found elsewhere)
    We used to earn lots of free jewelry as a reward for decent personal sales, not anymore
    Great customer service reps (in general), they are mostly helpful and accomodating, easy to return and exchange
    Website is very attractive and light years ahead of other Direct Sales companies
    Neat idea of creating an iPad app for Stylists (no other direct sales company has it)
    Amazing community of enthusiastic stylists who truly love the brand and make this job fun and interesting
    It is pretty easy to get your commission adjusted if their is an error of some kind and they don't hassle you about it
    Marketing materials (both paper and digital) are quite beautiful and convey a great message and brand image

Cons

Too many products in general and too many new launches with new items, it is hard to keep up and customers are overwhelmed by too many choices (I feel like I am in a constant state of rearranging my samples, ordering new ones, and selling off other ones at sample sales-- customers are getting used to just waiting for sample sales or discounts because of the new products coming so quickly and slightly older ones cycling out)
    Little bugs and weird flaws/limitations in the website that never get fixed (in spite of Stylists sending in feedback and actually calling home office about it)
    I was never able to get the iPad app to work 100% properly and never heard back on my technical questions
    They have reduced the amount of free jewelry you can earn and instead rolled out a $500 for $99 coupon which is more rigid and punitive to stylists should they receive a bad sample that they wish to exchange or return
    Product quality and durability is lacking and I constantly have to take returns on jewelry and bags, which erodes my confidence as a salesperson and burns my customers and hostesses over the long run (although many are happy to get a replacement item but it does diminish their enthusiasm for the product)
    I am not sure that Home Office is honest with Stylists about the overall return rate
    I wish the Home Office would give us a breakdown of customer bestsellers vs Stylist bestsellers -- on the website I am pretty sure that they are mixed together under "bestsellers" and I KNOW that my customers don't buy those statement necklaces but I am sure that stylists do. Generally the stylist field needs more information regarding which items are actually selling best to REAL customers not just stylists and hostesses
    We receive ZERO commission on all discounted hostess orders even when they spend a lot of $ out of pocket, which seems unfair when we often spend time selling items to hostesses as well
    New product lines seemed rushed out without proper quality assurance (many pieces of my engraved jewelry were arriving with off-center engraving)
    The E-Gift Card system doesn't work properly and sometimes customers don't receive their e-gift card! Crazy! It is being handled by a 3rd party vendor (apparently) and they should be fired!
    The 3rd party vendor that provides print materials and brandwear (Stella Print Shop) is overpriced and the quality is lacking, just another way that Stella & Dot must be squeezing more $ out of stylists thru special deals with 3rd party vendors to sell stuff to stylists
    Many times new products sell out very quickly and take a long time to get back in stock, meanwhile I have a "dead sample" on my table that I have to unload (since I can't currently place orders for that item if it has a long backorder wait time)
    There are SO many errors (both typos and content errors) in Stylist facing communications and confusing wording in our Comp Plan documents (they seriously need some better editing help!) Also the Product Alert list and Retired List never ever match up as they should (you discover new retired items on the Product Alert List by surprise/accident)
    Information being disseminated in the new Stylist Community/Knowledge base is inaccurate or confusing
    There is a lack of transparency and honesty regarding how long a sample will be in current product line and how quickly it will be retired (like some summer items being sold out and retired within a couple of weeks/months but they claim that they only retire 15% of the line every six months, in practice this is not true)
    False Feminism vibe--do we really have to work from home for pennies? Reality check needed or another message that makes more sense
    Consistent mid-range stylists (part time consistently active stylists) are not really recognized or rewarded properly. It seems like all the love goes to the higher ranks or the brand new ones (which makes you feel like this truly is a pyramid that is stacked against you)
    Jessica tells us how to engage in High Value Activities to increase your dollars per hour as a stylist, but the constant mistakes, errors, rushing, lack of quality control, website bugs, inventory problems-- all of this takes up hours of your time as a stylist which could be better spent booking and selling. Long wait times on customer service calls to deal with issues that are caused by the Company over promising or just making silly mistakes-- It really eats up your time and then you are exhausted and demoralized
    It bothers me that when we attend Fire Up your Fall and other training we have to pay our own way for the facility rental and food, parking
    When I attended Hoopla, I felt that it was a waste of time and money because the training was super basic and the "swag" was not that great AND I could have had the same exact training and info at home on my computer
    Too much general "positive attitude" training and not enough REAL sales training with actual facts and figures for adult women with college degrees. Stop talking down to me and be transparent. GIve me numbers and facts, I can handle it!

I would love it if the company would actually listen to part time or mid ranking Stylists more and not just hear what they want to hear from super star stylists at the top
    Also they need to simplify the product offerings and slow down, it is just too overwhelming to carry so many samples and constantly have to rotate / change them out due to new seasonal launches
    More transparency as far as quality issues, return rates, actual customer bestsellers vs Stylist bestsellers
    Clean up the website that you have with bug fixes and weird system limitations that have been in place for over two years instead of constantly upgrading the website but leaving old bugs in place

Worked for Stella & Dot? Contribute to the Community!