Stella & Dot Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Jessica Herrin

Pros
  • Had the ability to work from home when needed (in 4 reviews)

• Compensation and benefits are generous (and free jewelry/accessories from time to time) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Most departments are understaffed thus there really is no work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• I am not sure that Home Office is honest with Stylists about the overall return rate (in 4 reviews)

Amazing, powerful leadership with a focus on entrepreneurialism

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

Pros

The top management is very focused on the expansion of the company, and in the CEO's words, "put more money in the hands of our valued Stylists". We internal folks behind the scenes at this powerhouse e-commerce DSA jewelry and lifestyle company live & breathe the mantra every day. We also are very focused the creation of a new platform to enhance the end user experience and create a unique social selling platform that will make our competitors cringe and scamper to copy. The Sequoia infusion of capital was just another testimony to the benchstrength we have in the top management team.

Cons

Seriously not many yet. They preach work/life balance, but as we all know during busy periods that is pretty much ignored and several departments have several employees burning the midnight oil to meet company-wide deliverables. The overall benefits package needs a complete and utter rehaul, and they can't seem to find an HR manager to suit the company's current needs plus growth, and the employees are still waiting......

Advice to Management

Keep it going strong! A few small fixes to the employee benefit package, perhaps more mid-managment meetings across departmental lines to enhance communications. Not a whole lot of gripes honestly.

2. The right place to grow as an engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working on the Seattle team for quite a while now, and I'm glad to be in an engineering group with true professionals. There are a number of reasons I'm happy at Stella & Dot (after 12 years at other companies, among them startups (big and small) and established businesses): * The Seattle office is remote from the HQ in San Bruno, so we have the established strength of a solid company, yet work in an almost 100% engineering office, very tech-startup style. And since the Seattle team is growing every month, we're moving to a large, spacious office this month (with even more room to grow). * We have opportunities to work from home. * We are working toward the goal of continuous deployment (similar to Etsy). * Our group is proud of doing good work and it shows. * We don't like to take shortcuts that accrue technical debt. We engineer for the future, not just this sprint. * Testing, testing, and more automated testing. * Real work-life balance - you can leave the office at 5pm without the eyes of judgement upon you. * A startup feel without the typical startup's sub-par compensation. Compensation and benefits are generous (and free jewelry/accessories from time to time). * Provided with a MacBook pro and a 27 inch display on day one. * A complete dev environment with the goal to get you set up, productive, and committing code your first day. * Learn from smart people, and help others to grow. * Numerous outings and other opportunities to get to know each other without shop talk. * We have a process that keeps us on track but doesn't slow us down (we just hired a new scrum master in Seattle). So you don't get the everyday chaos of shifting priorities that can destroy a programmer's productivity. * Managers that are human, genuine, understanding, and don't expect you to be a robot. * A CEO that you can actually look up to and are excited to meet and see again. We've all dealt with CEOs that are weaksauce or just fake. Jessica is an amazing person and inspires people to be awesome.

Cons

* Surprisingly, we don't have a bona-fide coffee maker, but we have Zeitgeist Cafe just around the corner. I think we're getting a super coffee machine for the new office. * I'm not a fan of Pioneer Square, but we're moving deeper downtown this month (close to Pike Place market), so that will be fixed!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I see improvements every month that make our working environment and process better. Thanks for listening.

great place to work

Current Employee - Leader In the Field in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Leader In the Field in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

outstanding group of women out in the field, genuinely love the company and the product.

Cons

disconnect from HO to the field.

Advice to Management

spend more time with your leaders.

5. Great company, huge growth potential.

Pros

Stella & Dot is changing the Direct Sales Industry in a positive way and it is exciting to be with such an innovative company that is mission driven.

Cons

If you have a hard time with change, you will have a problem here.

Advice to Management

Decisions seem to be made unilaterally by the home office without input from the field and this has caused a few setbacks.

Exciting company, changing an industry

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Truly mission driven (creating flexible work opportunities for women), very nimble environment. Tons of growth opportunity. Very supportive co-workers. Recent additions/changes to management team are driving a positive change in culture and work environment. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Fast paced and not for the faint of heart. Lots of change- if you can't keep up you will not be happy. Focus on Stylists can trump focus on Home Office employees. A fair amount of turnover lately as people who couldn't keep up either chose to leave or were asked to leave.

7. Extremely rewarding place to work

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, dynamic environment that provides a lot of opportunity for growth and professional development. Plenty of opportunity to add value. Company is very dedicated and focused on its mission. Colleagues are extremely bright, capable individuals who are great to work with. You have a lot of opportunities to purchase the fantastic product at a great discount.

Cons

If you are looking for a dull, low-key environment with not a lot of excitement, this is not the company for you.

8. AMAZING!

Current Employee - Associate Stylist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Stylist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Stella & Dot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The community is amazing, the opportunities to earn free product is awesome, the discount (25-50%) is unbelievable, the opportunity to earn is completely up to you, I could go on and on.

Cons

Purely commission based so sometimes it's hard to earn, but if you put your mind to it you can do it!

Advice to Management

Nothing

fun and fashionable for stylists

Current Employee - Independent Stylist in Berkley, MI
    Current Employee - Independent Stylist in Berkley, MI

I have been working at Stella & Dot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

work at your own pace, you are provided all the tools to succeed, its up to you to do the rest.

Cons

gotta keep up with the seasonal changes and be in the know of current fashion trends.

Advice to Management

stop jumping around product wise, love the scarfs and small bags but spreading to thin seems to be making things confusing for customers.

10. Exciting place to work at an exciting time

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very energetic work environment; lots of projects to work on and most definitely a lot to learn. Employees at every level have the opportunity to contribute and impact change. The Company is at an exciting place with its expansion efforts and the development of its infrastructure. They've added some great people to the management team in recent months.

Cons

Not for the faint at heart. Employees must be excited about the Company and be supremely motivated to be successful. There is a lot to learn, but you have to be wiling to put in the time and energy to fix things that might not have been optimal. Lots of improvements being made and still a lot more to come.....especially in the area of systems.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in systems and building out infrastructure to support growth.

Fun and rewarding, a lot to look forward to in 2015!

I have been working at Stella & Dot full-time

Pros

#1. Great growth trajectory heading into 2015 with some exciting new developments. It's taken some time to find the right strategy but next year is going to be huge. #2. There's a healthy attitude towards working hard (yes people do put in hours in the evening and weekends as needed) but also respecting work/life balance - no one cares if you need to leave work early to be at your daughter's soccer game as long as you get your stuff done #3. Knowing that you're impacting thousands of women's lives and helping them earn an income - it's really nice to know your work is meaningful.

Cons

It can be a little chaotic at times because everyone wants to be nimble and respond quickly to business trends, and forgets this company isn't a start-up anymore and any small changes impact multiple moving parts. The management team is very ambitious and has big goals, which is great, but when there are limited resources that tends to run the risk of people burning out.

Advice to Management

Help the teams prioritize and make the right tradeoffs so we can do more with less.

RSS Feed </> Embed