Stella & Dot

www.stelladot.com

Stella & Dot Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Jessica Herrin

Exciting company, changing an industry

ProsTruly mission driven (creating flexible work opportunities for women), very nimble environment. Tons of growth opportunity. Very supportive co-workers. Recent additions/changes to management team are driving a positive change in culture and work environment. Good work-life balance.

ConsFast paced and not for the faint of heart. Lots of change- if you can't keep up you will not be happy. Focus on Stylists can trump focus on Home Office employees. A fair amount of turnover lately as people who couldn't keep up either chose to leave or were asked to leave.

Great company, huge growth potential.

ProsStella & Dot is changing the Direct Sales Industry in a positive way and it is exciting to be with such an innovative company that is mission driven.

ConsIf you have a hard time with change, you will have a problem here.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecisions seem to be made unilaterally by the home office without input from the field and this has caused a few setbacks.

great place to work

Leader In the Field (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosoutstanding group of women out in the field, genuinely love the company and the product.

Consdisconnect from HO to the field.

Advice to Senior Managementspend more time with your leaders.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The right place to grow as an engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI've been working on the Seattle team for quite a while now, and I'm glad to be in an engineering group with true professionals.

There are a number of reasons I'm happy at Stella & Dot (after 12 years at other companies, among them startups (big and small) and established businesses):

* The Seattle office is remote from the HQ in San Bruno, so we have the established strength of a solid company, yet work in an almost 100% engineering office, very tech-startup style. And since the Seattle team is growing every month, we're moving to a large, spacious office this month (with even more room to grow).
    * We have opportunities to work from home.
    * We are working toward the goal of continuous deployment (similar to Etsy).
    * Our group is proud of doing good work and it shows.
    * We don't like to take shortcuts that accrue technical debt. We engineer for the future, not just this sprint.
    * Testing, testing, and more automated testing.
    * Real work-life balance - you can leave the office at 5pm without the eyes of judgement upon you.
    * A startup feel without the typical startup's sub-par compensation. Compensation and benefits are generous (and free jewelry/accessories from time to time).
    * Provided with a MacBook pro and a 27 inch display on day one.
    * A complete dev environment with the goal to get you set up, productive, and committing code your first day.
    * Learn from smart people, and help others to grow.
    * Numerous outings and other opportunities to get to know each other without shop talk.
    * We have a process that keeps us on track but doesn't slow us down (we just hired a new scrum master in Seattle). So you don't get the everyday chaos of shifting priorities that can destroy a programmer's productivity.
    * Managers that are human, genuine, understanding, and don't expect you to be a robot.
    * A CEO that you can actually look up to and are excited to meet and see again. We've all dealt with CEOs that are weaksauce or just fake. Jessica is an amazing person and inspires people to be awesome.

Cons* Surprisingly, we don't have a bona-fide coffee maker, but we have Zeitgeist Cafe just around the corner. I think we're getting a super coffee machine for the new office.
    * I'm not a fan of Pioneer Square, but we're moving deeper downtown this month (close to Pike Place market), so that will be fixed!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. I see improvements every month that make our working environment and process better. Thanks for listening.

Amazing, powerful leadership with a focus on entrepreneurialism

(Current Employee) San Bruno, CA

ProsThe top management is very focused on the expansion of the company, and in the CEO's words, "put more money in the hands of our valued Stylists". We internal folks behind the scenes at this powerhouse e-commerce DSA jewelry and lifestyle company live & breathe the mantra every day. We also are very focused the creation of a new platform to enhance the end user experience and create a unique social selling platform that will make our competitors cringe and scamper to copy. The Sequoia infusion of capital was just another testimony to the benchstrength we have in the top management team.

ConsSeriously not many yet. They preach work/life balance, but as we all know during busy periods that is pretty much ignored and several departments have several employees burning the midnight oil to meet company-wide deliverables. The overall benefits package needs a complete and utter rehaul, and they can't seem to find an HR manager to suit the company's current needs plus growth, and the employees are still waiting......

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it going strong! A few small fixes to the employee benefit package, perhaps more mid-managment meetings across departmental lines to enhance communications. Not a whole lot of gripes honestly.

Loved working at the DC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI really liked my supervisor on second shift and really enjoyed working with my coworkers. The hours were 5 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday so I liked that also.

ConsPeople were on their cell phones all the time and I didn't like that. No one would do anything about it so I just gave up.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the floor and enforce the rules that you don't want people to break.

Good people, very flexible, poor management, hopefully getting better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Bruno, CA

ProsI've worked with some of the best people I've ever met at Stella & Dot and learned some too. As a working mom, flexibility was important and they offered me that, from a lactation room right in the HQ, to time off even on short notice when I needed it and work from home days.

ConsSometimes management can be very unreasonable. In the field I work in, it's very difficult to set hard deadlines and expect that they will always be met - mostly due to unforeseen issues that crop up. It ends up with everyone working off hours within their mishmash of schedules. This is a recurring problem that has yet to be solved, but we've just hired new management that I hope can help address this.

Didn't pan out for me

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou have the flexibility to work from home and make as much or little money as you like. Great team of support from corporate and your local up-line of women.

ConsIt was very difficult for me to book trunk shows even though I was trying to work the tools I was given, I still had a hard time booking shows and did not want to resort to asking my family and friends. I eventually decided this kind of work was not for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think corporate in San Fran does an excellent job!

Kleenex- useful when it's needed, but always thrown away when you're done using it.

Operations (Former Employee) San Bruno, CA

ProsFast-paced startup with a couple of the nice perks- healthy snacks and tea in the kitchen, yoga class once a week, great discount on the product, and the jewelry is very trendy and wearable. The company truly upholds it's vision and spirit when the focus is Stylist- Facing those are the 30,000 sales team who make 100% of the revenue for the company.

ConsManagement is under pressure from the investors to keep growing both horizontally in new product offerings and vertically to new markets, as well as evolve the technology quickly. It's like riding a bicycle while you're riding it. A lot of fun, but you realize no one has installed brake levers so you can't stop.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't "churn & burn" people so much at the HO (home office). Invest in the vision that the company's greatest asset is it's PEOPLE, including the slaves at HO working 12+ hours a day for you for a paycheck and zero commission.

Working @ Stella & Dot ( not as a stylist)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Bruno, CA

ProsOpen space and people open to new ideas

ConsChaotic management.
    Unprofessional work environment.
    Staff is hired and fired on whim!
    No work-life flexibility
    Lots and LOTS of politics that makes people think of leaving the minute they start work. Every 2 months I saw 5-6 leaving and 2-3 hired. Including the VPs and Managers! Bad sign!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the Chaos, else you going down faster than lightening no matter how loudly the founder screams to show she is positive and nothing is wrong. We all know the company is sinking!

Worked for Stella & Dot? Contribute to the Community!