Stenograph

3.4

CEO

Overall Great Experience

I worked at Stenograph

Pros

The people at Stenograph are great, and it's a friendly atmosphere. The staff really cares about the industry, their customers, and about being the industry leader in the court reporting field. In my experience, your input and ideas are listened to and considered.

Cons

Upward mobility isn't possible. Upper management has been in in their positions for decades and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Terrible

I have been working at Stenograph

Pros

Great people. I can't think of any other pro about this company.

Cons

Senior management are incapable and running the company into the ground, especially the president. The Good Ole Boys Network runs everything and gives no consideration to the work and efforts of outsiders. They do not care about their employees. Do yourself a favor and keep looking. It's only a matter of time before they go out of business.

Stop treating your employees like pawns. Stop being so arrogant and greedy. Try acknowledging and listening to the talent you hire. Retire.

Truly enjoyable!

I worked at Stenograph full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the court reporters. Management was there when I needed help and invested the time needed to ensure success. I had a great inside sales counterpart, which also made the job very enjoyable. The technology is sound and the support was good.

Cons

The industry is not growing. It's almost impossible to get through school, so the number of people pursuing this industry is diminishing. The lack of good reporters is generating a strong desire to find an alternative means to the traditional stenography.

Start focusing on developing the new alternative, but don't abandon your current customer base.

Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Stenograph as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with other people who had the same goals and desires to graduate quality, high-ability court reporters into the field.

Cons

It is difficult working for owners who are business owners and not educators. They treat education as a business. This is a skills-based career, not something you can read a book and then take a test and then pass the course. Business owners don't understand the complexity of the skill.

They need to hire directors that understand the education and court reporting business. Allow the teachers who know what they are doing to bring the quality education to the students without so much interference. Trust the teachers to complete the tasks at hand without so much overseeing. Bring in the technology and keep up to date with the changes in the field.

Overwhelming learning experience, decent starting salary

I have been working at Stenograph

Pros

Great people, even management! Variety of tasks.

Cons

Almost every thing you do has a ton of steps before you can complete or resolve a customer issue.
    More accounting responsibilities that Customer Service acquired since a layoff last year.

very good with the company

Current Employee - Cartographer in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Cartographer in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Stenograph full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great work hours for employees

Cons

long days at the office

listen to employees a lot more

If you strive to succeed, you can earn a good living with excellent working conditions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Stenograph full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Colleagiality. Earnings. Independence. Creativity. Industry Leadership.

Cons

Mobility to top management isn't possible now or in the near future.

not the best

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at Stenograph

Pros

Best part of stenograp is being able to take ttime off for your family when needed.

Cons

Promotions are base by feeling,personal attachments,not by who is best for this for this position base on their skills.

fire all upper management and start over

my review

I have been working at Stenograph

Pros

good benefits
    paid time off
    and paid holidays

Cons

not much room for advancement.
    salary can be better

none

The best court reporting technology available; Senior Sales Management stuck in 20th century.

Former Employee - District Sales Manager
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager

I worked at Stenograph

Pros

The software and writers they have created are, what I believe, to be the most innovative, state-of-the-art court reporting software and writers available today. They routinely solicit feedback on how to improve the efficiency and user-friendliness of their products from their customers. I also enjoyed educating customers on how Stengraph's products could make a substantial difference in their productivity.

Cons

Unfortunately, that standard of excellence is not reflected in the people that manage their sales force. One individual in particular doesn't have a clue to how to inspire, motivate and mentor those under his charge. This attitude is reflected in the "good old boys' club" mentality of the senior management that believes badgering and public humiliation is the best way to motivate people. In addition, any attempt by the sales force to challenge the inefficiency of the status quo and improve on the outmoded sales administration tools is met with great resistance and excuses of why things cannot change. Stenograph had no clear strategy for training new people. The two, one week intensive weeks of training are delivered in a force-feeding manner is supposed to prepare you for everything you will need to know in the field, but is fragmented, inconsistent, and falls short of preparing new reps for day-to-day responsibilities.

If you are considering working in the outside sales force at Stenograph, I would encourage you to proceed with caution. Stenograph has some truly wonderful people in the company, and the product development team is stellar. However, the senior sales management will leave you extremely frustrated in the long run. If you decide to go for an interview for a District Sales Manager (Outside Sales), please keep in mind the following: Be sure to ask how about the CRM tools they provide. As of December 2009 when I left, an incredible amount of redundancy is needed to keep up with the day-to-day administrative duties because they have not invested in a modern CRM database, neither they will not support supply nor support smart phones (i.e.Blackberry, Palm,or Droid phones). The Navision database is not a true CRM solution, leaving you no way to organize your territory using it. In addition, there is no Outlook integration, such as ACT, Gold Mine,or Prophet. What that means to you is there is no easy way to access and organize customer data throughout your work day. Plan on spending your evenings, updating the company database (i.e. Navision) manually, or to be reprimanded for not keeping it up-to-date. In regard to the Regional Manager you report to, this has been the most frustrating part of my employment with Stenograph. The person I reported to obviously does not have any experience managing and mentoring sales people. With limited skill in his "toolkit," he has all the finesse of a thug. What's worse is that he seems to operate with impunity in his attempts to humiliate people publicly at company training and court reporting association events. Senior sales management have a similar leadership style, so they are oblivious to how unproductive this is and how it brings down morale. I realize that if you're seriously thinking taking a job as a District Sales Manager, I haven't given you much encouragement here, but at least you'll go into it with your eyes open. And who knows maybe things will change. I really loved my job at Stenograph. The technology they offer reporters is in a league of its own, and I really enjoyed many of the customers I worked with and served. Cheers!

Stenograph stands apart from its competitors in the quality of its CAT software and writer products. Unfortunately, the senior sales leadership is stuck in 20th century training methods and sales technology they provide for their sales force. They have no documented standard of procedures, so you left early on your own to figure out who to call when you need for direction or information is urgent. In addition there are no clear guidelines for how the inside sales staff and DSMs should work together to leverage the power of working in tandum towards mutual sales goals, so if you don't mesh well the person your assigned to, you're out of luck. If you want to attract and retain new sales talent, it's time for the status quo to change. This is no time for the leadership at Stenograph to rest on the laurels of their technology's success --past or present. I hope the president, VP of Sales, and the Regional Managers will accept my challenge to give serious thought into how to train and equip their sales people. Last and not least, if you're going to hire professional salespeople, without a courtreporting background, to be District Sales Manager (DSM), why not also consider hiring Regional Sales Managers (RSM)outside the company. A RSM needs to be held to a higher standard and accountable for what they actually provide the DSMs under their charge. A candidate for this position should only be considered from within Stenograph if they have a tract record of leadership and inspiring other DSMs. Otherwise, find someone outside the company that has the sales experience and mentoring skills needed to bring out the best of your sales force. This alone will have a profound effect on what you will get out of your DSMs.