Stepan Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014
3.2

Stepan President, CEO, and Director F. Quinn Stepan Jr.
F. Quinn Stepan Jr.

Comfortable place to work

Current Employee - PTD Specialist I  in  Elwood, IL
    Current Employee - PTD Specialist I in Elwood, IL

I have been working at Stepan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My department was very easy going and was not so much the corporate environment. My department had a great deal of flexibility and autonomy The company was growing and doing well, so never felt worried about downsizing. It still sort of has the small business feel to it even though more a midsize company. It does have very low turn over FWIW, many people spent their whole career there.

Cons

Advancement was a concern, if you are in R&D you will need a PhD to get anywhere in the research track. While I am sure advancement is a concern everywhere, there were just a whole lot of people that were in the exact same spot as there were years ago.

Very Good place to start your career

I worked at Stepan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to learn and develop when you first start your career. There are multiple projects and assignments and opportunities for advancement in the beginning.

Cons

Work life balance is very poor, you are expected to maintain constant connection to Stepan and work 60-80hrs per week.
    Depending on your location and department, morale is very low and high turn over of employees exists.
    Management falls under the definition of micromanagers, which leads to less fulfilling work environment and limits creativity of the work force.

Find a way to empower the employees, their ideas and potential for success might surprise you.

Supply chain

Former Employee - Supply Chain  in  Northfield, IL
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Northfield, IL

I worked at Stepan full-time

Pros

Benefits are good and they have an onsite cafeteria (actually to keep you captive). Quality of life balance very bad. You are expected to work 60 hrs a week

Cons

Mgmnt only concerned with bottom line. Too many people with relatives who get special treatmnt

Don't let family work with family and treat people like you used to when Sr ran the show

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chemist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Northfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northfield, IL

I worked at Stepan full-time

Pros

Some employees have ample opportunity for lateral movement and trying out new roles. Good holiday party.

Cons

R&D management is inept. No real support for employees through HR function. Most research resources dedicated to firefighting plant issues. Extraordinarily high level of turnover at Stepan, especially within analytical department of R&D. Generally low morale here.

Address R&D management issues to improve retention of good employees. As a former employee I cannot possibly recommend Stepan for a scientific career due to current leadership, although VP R&D I feel is quite good.

Was great, Organization is changing

Former Employee - Executive
    Former Employee - Executive

I worked at Stepan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunity to develop, work on many different things

Cons

Changed from a "family" to a stricylt P/L focus.

Remember how you got where you are.

Overall an OK place to work

I have been working at Stepan

Pros

The benefits are very good and the people are friendly.

Cons

Physical work environment is old and outdated. Extremely conservative work atmosphere. Business formal wear every day regardless of your position and dress code seems to differ among departments.

You could do worse.

I worked at Stepan

Pros

Company is committed to RandD and good returns. Stepan has some top quality people that are great to work with. Promotes family values almost as much as family members.

Cons

Has a quirky corporate culture that limits it's efficiency and effectiveness. Pay is consciously kept slightly below average. Accomplishments versus committed resources are smaller than in any other company I've experienced - mostly the result of the culture and lack of modern corporate structure. The kind of Streamlining-restructuring needed to fully realize their potential typically comes only after a change in ownership.

Wonderful

Former Employee - Chemist  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Chemist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Stepan full-time

Pros

People/coworkers
    Employee development and training
    Professional but comfortable working environment

Cons

Salaries aren't always adjusting for cost of living

A good employer and a solid place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Northfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northfield, IL

I worked at Stepan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good compensation package, friendly people, supportive culture, typically interesting work. Stepan is a place where you can go to work and spend the majority of your career. There are opportunities to move laterally and up, depending on your goals and willingness to explore other business functions.

Cons

Stepan has a lot of focus on their three year plans, however those plans change yearly, and most work at the business unit level is spent fire-fighting issues. This can be extremely frustrating when you're being evaluated against the progress you've made on long term projects, but required to spend most of your work day answering the phone and attending to crises.

Small company with great growth opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Stepan

Pros

Family run company means senior leadership has a great deal invested in the success of this organization. The company has experienced 3 consecutive record years in terms of financial results through an economic recession. Our senior leaders do a great job of communicating priorities across the organization on a regular basis. Because of the small nature of the company (1800 employees) it feels like a family yet our 16 manufacturing sites globally make the company feel much larger and allows for individual growth.

Cons

Can be hesitant to take big risks and may lose out on big pay offs. Slow to change a very encultured workforce.

Worked for Stepan? Contribute to the Community!