Stepan

Stepan Reviews

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
3.3

Stepan President, CEO, and Director F. Quinn Stepan Jr.
F. Quinn Stepan Jr.

Got to work with great people that really cared about my development

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northfield, IL

I worked at Stepan as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My favorite part about working here was the people I worked with were incredibly welcoming and friendly. Everyone from assistants to managers were willing to talk to me and answer my questions. Summer hours (half days on Friday) are also a nice perk. A lot of people had been working at the company for years and still seemed happy with their jobs.

Cons

It was difficult for me to find the opportunities I was looking for outside of my role as an intern. I also wish I got to interact more with interns in other departments.

Okay experience

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Stepan

Pros

Supervisors, work, people, a lot of work to stay busy during peak season. Most of the people there are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Sometimes there wasn't work for weeks, other times the over time would be given at the end of the day, you never knew in advance. Upper management didn't care about the workers. Never wanted to give out raises.

Get new management

A good place to work

Former Employee - Product Development Associate in Northfield, IL
    Former Employee - Product Development Associate in Northfield, IL

I worked at Stepan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Treats you like your family

Cons

Stagnant needs to look for the next opprotunity

Back to what made you great. Customer service

Very Good place to start your career

I worked at Stepan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to learn and develop when you first start your career. There are multiple projects and assignments and opportunities for advancement in the beginning.

Cons

Work life balance is very poor, you are expected to maintain constant connection to Stepan and work 60-80hrs per week.
    Depending on your location and department, morale is very low and high turn over of employees exists.
    Management falls under the definition of micromanagers, which leads to less fulfilling work environment and limits creativity of the work force.

Find a way to empower the employees, their ideas and potential for success might surprise you.

Supply chain

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Northfield, IL
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Northfield, IL

I worked at Stepan full-time

Pros

Benefits are good and they have an onsite cafeteria (actually to keep you captive). Quality of life balance very bad. You are expected to work 60 hrs a week

Cons

Mgmnt only concerned with bottom line. Too many people with relatives who get special treatmnt

Don't let family work with family and treat people like you used to when Sr ran the show

Comfortable place to work

Current Employee - PTD Specialist I in Elwood, IL
    Current Employee - PTD Specialist I in Elwood, IL

I have been working at Stepan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My department was very easy going and was not so much the corporate environment. My department had a great deal of flexibility and autonomy The company was growing and doing well, so never felt worried about downsizing. It still sort of has the small business feel to it even though more a midsize company. It does have very low turn over FWIW, many people spent their whole career there.

Cons

Advancement was a concern, if you are in R&D you will need a PhD to get anywhere in the research track. While I am sure advancement is a concern everywhere, there were just a whole lot of people that were in the exact same spot as there were years ago.

Chemist

I worked at Stepan full-time

Pros

Some employees have ample opportunity for lateral movement and trying out new roles. Good holiday party.

Cons

R&D management is inept. No real support for employees through HR function. Most research resources dedicated to firefighting plant issues. Extraordinarily high level of turnover at Stepan, especially within analytical department of R&D. Generally low morale here.

Address R&D management issues to improve retention of good employees. As a former employee I cannot possibly recommend Stepan for a scientific career due to current leadership, although VP R&D I feel is quite good.

Was great, Organization is changing

Former Employee - Executive
    Former Employee - Executive

I worked at Stepan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to develop, work on many different things

Cons

Changed from a "family" to a stricylt P/L focus.

Remember how you got where you are.

Overall an OK place to work

I have been working at Stepan

Pros

The benefits are very good and the people are friendly.

Cons

Physical work environment is old and outdated. Extremely conservative work atmosphere. Business formal wear every day regardless of your position and dress code seems to differ among departments.

You could do worse.

I worked at Stepan

Pros

Company is committed to RandD and good returns. Stepan has some top quality people that are great to work with. Promotes family values almost as much as family members.

Cons

Has a quirky corporate culture that limits it's efficiency and effectiveness. Pay is consciously kept slightly below average. Accomplishments versus committed resources are smaller than in any other company I've experienced - mostly the result of the culture and lack of modern corporate structure. The kind of Streamlining-restructuring needed to fully realize their potential typically comes only after a change in ownership.