Stepan

Stepan Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stepan President, CEO, and Director F. Quinn Stepan Jr.

F. Quinn Stepan Jr.

Comfortable place to work

PTD Specialist I (Current Employee)
Elwood, IL

I have been working at Stepan full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMy department was very easy going and was not so much the corporate environment. My department had a great deal of flexibility and autonomy The company was growing and doing well, so never felt worried about downsizing. It still sort of has the small business feel to it even though more a midsize company. It does have very low turn over FWIW, many people spent their whole career there.

ConsAdvancement was a concern, if you are in R&D you will need a PhD to get anywhere in the research track. While I am sure advancement is a concern everywhere, there were just a whole lot of people that were in the exact same spot as there were years ago.

Chemist

I worked at Stepan full-time

ProsSome employees have ample opportunity for lateral movement and trying out new roles. Good holiday party.

ConsR&D management is inept. No real support for employees through HR function. Most research resources dedicated to firefighting plant issues. Extraordinarily high level of turnover at Stepan, especially within analytical department of R&D. Generally low morale here.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress R&D management issues to improve retention of good employees. As a former employee I cannot possibly recommend Stepan for a scientific career due to current leadership, although VP R&D I feel is quite good.

Was great, Organization is changing

Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Stepan full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOpportunity to develop, work on many different things

ConsChanged from a "family" to a stricylt P/L focus.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember how you got where you are.

Overall an OK place to work

I have been working at Stepan

ProsThe benefits are very good and the people are friendly.

ConsPhysical work environment is old and outdated. Extremely conservative work atmosphere. Business formal wear every day regardless of your position and dress code seems to differ among departments.

You could do worse.

I worked at Stepan

ProsCompany is committed to RandD and good returns. Stepan has some top quality people that are great to work with. Promotes family values almost as much as family members.

ConsHas a quirky corporate culture that limits it's efficiency and effectiveness. Pay is consciously kept slightly below average. Accomplishments versus committed resources are smaller than in any other company I've experienced - mostly the result of the culture and lack of modern corporate structure. The kind of Streamlining-restructuring needed to fully realize their potential typically comes only after a change in ownership.

Wonderful

Chemist (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Stepan full-time

ProsPeople/coworkers
Employee development and training
Professional but comfortable working environment

ConsSalaries aren't always adjusting for cost of living

A good employer and a solid place to work

Northfield, IL

I worked at Stepan full-time for more than a year

ProsGood compensation package, friendly people, supportive culture, typically interesting work. Stepan is a place where you can go to work and spend the majority of your career. There are opportunities to move laterally and up, depending on your goals and willingness to explore other business functions.

ConsStepan has a lot of focus on their three year plans, however those plans change yearly, and most work at the business unit level is spent fire-fighting issues. This can be extremely frustrating when you're being evaluated against the progress you've made on long term projects, but required to spend most of your work day answering the phone and attending to crises.

Small company with great growth opportunity

Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Stepan

ProsFamily run company means senior leadership has a great deal invested in the success of this organization. The company has experienced 3 consecutive record years in terms of financial results through an economic recession. Our senior leaders do a great job of communicating priorities across the organization on a regular basis. Because of the small nature of the company (1800 employees) it feels like a family yet our 16 manufacturing sites globally make the company feel much larger and allows for individual growth.

ConsCan be hesitant to take big risks and may lose out on big pay offs. Slow to change a very encultured workforce.

Why work here?

Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at Stepan

ProsYou need a job badly. You want to live in Chicago. You want to work for a smaller company. The company seems pretty stable, they continue to grow.

ConsFamily owned company...limited opportunity to advancement at senior levels. Not located in a convenient location...difficult to get to even though it's close to 94. Since it's essentially a chemical supplier to other industries you don't get the opportunity to do work that is fully relevant to the consumer. Stepan has not always had the most favorable enviromental impact. In the way past they were accused of dumping benzene in Mexico. I think they have worked to clean up their image since.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in fresh blood from the outside.

Very considerate company.

QA Specialist (Former Employee)
San Antonio, Province of Batangas (Philippines)

I worked at Stepan as a contractor for less than a year

Prosgood work environment. i can say that the employees are quite satisfied with the company. the salary is not that big but they are very generous with the benefits (health card etc.). i'm only there for 2 months as a reliever, but this is what my workmates told me. i enjoyed working there.

Consnever really stayed there for too long.

Worked for Stepan? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stepan reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Stepan CEO F. Quinn Stepan Jr. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Stepan employees.