Stephen James Associates

Rick Connolly

The sky is the limit

Current Employee - Recruiter in Braintree, MA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Braintree, MA

I have been working at Stephen James Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have been working in a Boston area office doing permanent placement for about 6 months and so far the opportunity has been everything that Stephen James promised. They provide great training and a solid starting salary with unlimited compensation. The leadership here is taking the company in a promising and exciting direction. Stephen James gives their employees the necessary tools to run their own business and be successful. If you are willing to put in the work the rewards are excellent.

Cons

The only con I have with this position is that I wasn't introduced to Stephen James when I graduated from college.

Keep going in the direction you are going, the culture and company values are excellent.

Great Company, Great Team, Great Comp

Current Employee - Recruiter in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Stephen James Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to really own your own segment of this business. Close team. Large company. Privately held so no shareholders to please. Also, the integration with Aerotek has huge benefits in terms of resources.

Cons

It's a time consuming job where you need to be self motivated. This is not a con for everyone but it's the major reason someone would not succeed. At the same time for self motivated people a career with Stephen James is a great way to go.

Simply continute to make initiatives to integrate aerotek and sja.

Technical Recruiter

Current Employee - Recruiter in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Stephen James Associates

Pros

First job out of college which allowed for a lot of business development. Strong training program that will transfer to any future career opportunity. Company culture is fun and energetic. Growth and advancement opportunities. Base salary + commission. 5k raise after a year.

Cons

Sales environment. Longer work weeks than the average 9-5. Takes about 6 months to start seeing commission. Cold calling. Customer centric service can be stressful. Technical recruiting can be challenging to learn due to terminology.

Your only as good as your recruiter.

Financial Analyst

I have been working at Stephen James Associates

Pros

My recruiter was diligent in providing feedback from the employer, but never addressed the concerns that I was not being given task from the day I actually stepped into the office

Cons

Refused my unemployment compensation, after the assignment was terminated.

Stop blocking unemployment compensation.

Bad experience

Current Employee - Contract Business Analyst in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Contract Business Analyst in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Stephen James Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was recruited by Stephen James for contract position. Not a lot of pros

Cons

I went through the interviews I was set up with and eventually got the position. It spiraled downhill from there. I honestly do believe that the company I was recruited for was a huge mess in terms of their organizational structure and rediculous to work with. After I was offered the job the start date began getting pushed back further and further. It happened four times with 2 week intervals. I began to get very suspicious about the company I was being recruited for. Turned out that the position I was recruited for really lacked definition. In fact I was directly told that the position was not defined after three weeks of working there. I ultimately quit the job because of instability with management(there was none). My problem with Stephen James was they could not give me ANY information about the company. In all honesty I was just trying to prepare for the job by doing my due diligence. Not only was I left with "I don't know" to the answer of my questions but I was also lied to by the recruiter because she had a difficult time reaching anyone in the company. She told me that I was going to be trained by the president himself. Obviously I had my suspicions but she repeated that aspect of the job to me over five times. Ultimately I was not trained and put in a difficult position.

Learn more about the company you are recruiting for

It was ok

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Stephen James Associates as a contractor

Pros

The agency offered benefits and payroll was timely and easy to submit.

Cons

The end of contract an employee should be notified timely and hopes that the agent is working to find suitable employment. Not just walk away from the contract employee especially if they were profitable and proficient at their jobs.

Inform clients timely when a job is ending.

Working for the Man

Former Employee - Recruiter in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Stephen James Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of growth for workaholics, 60+ hours a week, good for non-entrpreneurial sales people

Cons

Very low pay early on in your career, high pressue boiler room environment, requires cult like commitment to get promoted

Put down the cool-aid!

Realistic Review.

Former Employee - Recruiter in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Stephen James Associates

Pros

Steven James Associates is a staffing firm that matches employees with employers. They offer temp assignments while still searching for permanent solutions for the employees. Another great benefit is that due to their affiliation with Allegis Group, they are able to offer benefits to their employees even if they are only working temporarily.

Cons

Sometimes if you start working a temp assignment, there is never a guarantee on the length of the assignment. It can end at a moments notice which is why it's called temporary- not really a downside of the company, just moreso a downside of working temp assignments. Temp assignments are positive in the sense that they provide a source of income for individuals without permanent positions.

I didn't work with Sr. Management at Stephen James so I don't have any feedback for them.

Just a mess...

I worked at Stephen James Associates

Pros

Financial backing of big parent company, marketing, access to clients. Work/life balance is good, no real complaints regarding vacation or benefits.

Cons

Messy corporate structure and lack of vision from upper management, no support from more established businesses within Allegis Corporate Family, trying hard to be Robert Half...but lack of talent at all levels of management...no formal training program...they have mastered the RHI micro-management and cut throat attitude however. Haven't figured out they can't run the finance/accounting subsidiary like they run the groups that provide admins, file clerks, etc. Expansion strategy is hard to figure out, no office in NY and some other large hubs suffer from lack of talent or attention. Buying smaller staffing firms in key markets to gain market share forces them to inherit management who in some cases aren't corporate types or managers at all. Lack of growth overall.

Go outside and hire someone at a high level from one of the successful large finance and accounting staffing firms to be the CEO. Clearly promoting people who were successful in the admin/engineering/IT business (Aerotek or Tek Systems) isn't working.

I would have been better off working anywhere but here

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter
    Current Employee - Executive Recruiter

I have been working at Stephen James Associates

Pros

I learned the model of recruiting for which the Allegis Group (parent company) utilizes in all of its divisions which has led to the success of both Aerotek and Teksystems (the two leading sister companies). It worked for them, it can work for you, and it can be easily replicated.

Cons

1. Lack of vision, direction, and coaching from senior and local leadership. 2. Terrible compensation. 3. Other than access to a database, zero resources for you to leverage.

Stop carrying dead weight (practice directors who don't produce and are more trouble than they are worth), pony up the funds to recruit a real leader in each market who has built a true search firm, and put a true CEO at the helm who people will believe in.