Stephens Media Group

Updated July 15, 2014
Updated July 15, 2014
2.4

Sherman R. Frederick

My experience has been great.

Current Employee - Receptionist in Van Alstyne, TX
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Van Alstyne, TX

I have been working at Stephens Media Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff I work with are very knowledgeable and are always ready to give a helping hand.

Cons

Dealing with unsatisfied customers on phone.

Keep up the good work.

A heart-wrenching, soul-destroying cesspool of money-hungry vultures.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Stephens Media Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Um, let me think... there have to be some, I am sure... Oh! I know! Plenty of parking and free newspapers.

Cons

See title, Plus... new management are a bunch of middle-aged white Republican men with an incestuous need to hire more middle-aged white Republicans.

Start caring more about your employees,

Horribly Managed Company

Former Employee - Digital in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Digital in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Stephens Media Group full-time

Pros

The pay was decent compared to similar companies in the same area. There were some good perks with tickets to events.

Cons

They allow people who have no knowledge and are only looking out for themselves to make decisions about the direction of the company. They fire good people who want to make the company successful and allow certain people to remain in positions of authority who have a history of lies and manipulation.

You should reconsider the people you're including in your leadership. There are individuals on your leadership team who are bullies and make themselves look better by degrading others. The verbal abuse by these people will eventually end up costing you not only financially but also by (additional) loss of great talent.

Terrible Upper Management

I worked at Stephens Media Group

Pros

The staff worked hard to keep these community newspapers afloat but were not supported by home office or upper management

Cons

Higher-ups drove company paid automobiles and took the company plane to St Louis Cardinal games, sitting in the expensive boxes, while letting sales and support staff go because of lack of money.

You've already destroyed the community newspapers as they were - please try and realize how important the medium is to small and rural Arkansas towns.

The fish rots from the head on down

I worked at Stephens Media Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some great people at the newspapers in the trenches.

Cons

Most managers only cares about themselves and keeping their jobs instead of the product or their employees. So much wasted money, too many 'yes-men' in management. Company hates unions with a passion and will spare no expense to keep them out or down.

Grow a backbone you invertebrates.

Worst management team of all time

I have been working at Stephens Media Group

Pros

Very flexible work schedules, holiday pay, working for sheep is easy but nothing ever got done. Little to no supervision.

Cons

No management, no direction, terrible leadership, drag the paper business into digital was a huge mistake.

Heading in the wrong direction

Former Employee - Director in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Director in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Stephens Media Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people in the trenches, decent benefits. Good city to work in, with lots of potential. Strong history of being a community leader.

Cons

Management scrambling. Cannot handle disruption. Weak editorially, as they have cleaned house by eliminating senior positions with local knowledge. Too many soft stories and sacred cows. Losing credibility and respect across the community. No longer a leader, but an unimportant and insignificant media outlet. Out-of-town ownership is detrimental to the enterprise, as owners are not media savvy.

Listen. Embrace today's reality. This is the 21st century, and profit margins aren't like they were in the hey days.

At my paper, it has been a fairly pleasant experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Stephens Media Group

Pros

The best part of the paper at where I work, is the ability for the different departments (editorial, advertising, and production) to work together to put out a quality product. Other pros are the flexibility of leadership to allow for time off, and leadership as a whole is a very admirable quality of the Times Record.

Cons

I think the biggest con is the same as most jobs, and that is the pay. It seems to be an industry wide problem though.

Management at Stephens Media has always done an excellent job of keeping every one that works there in a loop. As long as that continues, it creates an easy, and stress free workplace environment for those willing to put in the work.

Great company to work for.
       Should be in one of the top 10 GREAT places to work !

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Stephens Media Group

Pros

The people I work with are very friendly and the management are very well respected.
    I feel I work in a pretty stable work environment. And all employees are dedicated to their work. It is reflected in the overall product that is produced daily , weekly and monthly.
    The newspapers Columnists are first rate. And the pictures that are posted are exceptional. The magazines are also something I look forward to , they always have a great story that is sometimes moving and also informative. Love the
    layout . It just gets better and better every month. The publishing part also is putting out an interesting book.

Cons

the clicks , just like high school

none

"throwing sh1t at a wall and seeing what sticks"

I have been working at Stephens Media Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the people not in any management roles are typically great to work with. however once they touch management their attitude turns south.

Cons

Politics on a level that actually hurts the company. many people would rather the company spend lots of money on a bad idea. then fix ideas already in place.

stop "throwing sh1t at a wall" and start understanding why you are failing. get in deep into the data that is presented and stop fighting what people say. start listening.