Stepping Stone School

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
2.4

CEO

Its all about the money!

Former Employee - Campus Principal/Center Director in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Campus Principal/Center Director in Austin, TX

I worked at Stepping Stone School (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the teachers are genuine in their abilities to care for children and the education is above standard in the industry.

Cons

The owner and senior management are very focused on money and the image of the company versus the internal complications of the schools. Very poor support for administrators and teachers in the schools. A lot of reverse psychology and mind games are used to "scare" personnel into staying quiet and not voicing opinions.

Shift the focus back to what started the company. The foundation is the greatest story ever, but the current operations completely negate the founding factors while using them to grow. The "heart" of the company is not in the same place it once was. I suppose that happens when business grows the pocket book. Sad but true!

A facade.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Stepping Stone School full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The teachers care, the principals care, we all worked as a team (aside from a few).

Cons

Upper management is incompetent and has stretched itself way too thin. CEO does not care about it's principals or it's staffing. They push enrollment, enrollment, enrollment and under-staffed us so all the teachers were stressed and sometimes out of state ratio. Way under paid. For the infant room alone my school brought in $10,000 a month, and I received a mere $10 per hour. Even on 40 hours per week, I could not keep up with my bills. I was turned down for a raise even though I had the highest Quality Review score in my ENTIRE school, because, "why does she want the raise? She can do more..."

Treat your employees with respect, STOP being a narcissist. You founded this company to care for children and their parents. Well, with the way you are losing employees left and right your company is going to go down the tube! Good Luck!

BIGGEST MISTAKE OF YOUR LIFE!!!

I worked at Stepping Stone School

Pros

None at all....the kids are always the pro!

Cons

All they care about is money the teachers are never in ratio because they fill the schools up over capacity which shows they don't care about the kids either. They never give you a raise when you deserve and ask for it, they charge you fit everything, they are rude and just don't care, at the center I worked at they went through a different director every year and enployees quit every month because it just that horrible! On top of all this you only get paid $8/hr for all the work and stress that you deal with!

LEARN HOW TO CARE!

don't take us for granted

Current Employee - Toddler Teacher in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Toddler Teacher in Austin, TX

I have been working at Stepping Stone School full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Having one on one learning development with the children.

Cons

well, i have nothing bad to say about the people in the main office. It is the center director i have problems with. She has favorites and well, they tell us not to start the gossip and if we hear someone gossip we let her know... guess what?! she's the one that starts! she favors her favorite employees and take advantage of the ones that really work hard. I hardly call out sick or ask for any days off, but other employees ask for a week off, 2 days off and get this we are way under staff! yeah, so favoritism is her thing!

keep up the good work. maybe pay the teachers more.

A place of love, respect, and education.

I have been working at Stepping Stone School

Pros

I have worked at Stepping Stone School for five years. I received the training and skills I needed to continue my career as an early childhood educator. I love my job, I respect the families and management, and everyday is a learning experience for me as well as the children in my care. I look forward to the growth and development of this company.

Cons

I have no cons about this company

The only advice I would have for our management team is to keep up the great job that you do each and every day to ensure the well being of the children and staff of Stepping Stone.

Dream Come True

I have been working at Stepping Stone School

Pros

Working for Stepping Stone, is not a job for me. It is a dream come true, I am blessed to have a career I can wake up every morning and be glad to go to work. The Stepping Stone Team goes above and beyond to make you feel important. I couldn't have asked for a better company to be a part of each and every day. Thank you for making me apart of this team, we call family.

Cons

That my children have to be split and combined to different teacher's. I enjoy my children each and every day.

Keep being great leaders.

I wouldn't recommend any one working here

Former Employee - School Age Teacher in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - School Age Teacher in Austin, TX

I worked at Stepping Stone School full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy to make friends with coworkers, enjoyed playing and being a caretaker for the children.

Cons

No organization, no help from directors or staff members. Not a team environment. Only cared about state regulations like staying in ratio other than making sure the children are kept safe at all times. Employees only stayed for a month at a time and directors maybe a couple months. The turnover rate is super high so it makes it hard to establish routine and structure.

If you want to keep good employees especially the ones who are over qualified with college degrees than I would suggest being more open to giving them a raise or a promotion. I think it is only fair to receive a raise when you work hard and are always there to help out even when you are not scheduled. It was also frustrating continually asking for the same thing like supplies and bathroom breaks and never get a response or any feedback/help. The expectations of coming in early and staying late daily with hardly ever a lunch break was absolutely ridiculous, unfair, and illegal. I would never recommend anyone ever working here and if someone was even considering it I would say find something else. It is not worth the stress and miserable work environment.

Stepping Stone School Response

Aug 18, 2014Marketing Communications Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We take very seriously our commitment to employee well-being, safety and fairness. We'd love to hear from you regarding your specific experience to learn where we can ... More

how I feel about my job

Current Employee - Pre-K Teacher in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Pre-K Teacher in Austin, TX

I have been working at Stepping Stone School full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the staff, the children, and the way everyone is like a family.

Cons

For the amount of work you do, you don't get paid enough, always understaffed.

If you're going to be understaffed, give a raise so people stop quitting.

Rude, Disrespectful, and Money-Hungry

I have been working at Stepping Stone School full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The kids are great, and working with them is definitely a pro.

Cons

The company doesn't care about the children or their employees. Their only goal is to get as much money from the parents as they can. Way too much is expected of employees that are only getting paid about 8.50 an hour. They'll ask you to come into work with small children while you're extremely ill, and classes are constantly out of ratio.

Actually treat your employees with some remote form of respect. You charge the parents too much considering how little you pay your employees.

A Company to Grow With

I have been working at Stepping Stone School full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company offers opportunities to grow. As a new employee, you receive hands-on training opportunities with a training teacher, and hands-on training with professional educators at our main office. This company takes education to a new level with an amazing curriculum that continues to get better. We have a team that provides new employees the support they need to succeed and reach new levels.

Cons

Every day provides a new opportunity.

Stepping Stone School Photos

The Stepping Stone School administrative team
Sense of community: Our Leander school teachers entered the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, raising money and having fun!
Teaching