Stereo D

William Sherak

stereo compositor

Current Employee - Finaling Artist  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Finaling Artist in Burbank, CA

Pros

It's great company, and it can be a good opportunity for young talent. you can have unique experience in stereo compositing or generate depth map.

Cons

stereo compositing and finaling shots are tough job. office culture is cool!

Admins are so young , some of them are really pro and some of them still have ego and hard to cooperate.

Ok for experience, but don't expect to be there long.........

Former Employee - Artist
    Former Employee - Artist

Pros

Other fellow coworkers were nice to be around, and honestly it was an ok place to start your career off.

Cons

This is the type of place that will let you set up your vacation time, and not even the 3rd day into you vacation, will call you out of the blue and lay you off.......it happened to me. No warning, just the boot.

One artist Honest Opinion

Pros

If you want a lot of hours, than this place will have them. Also, going to private screenings of films is a lot of fun. They will feed you dinner and breakfast sometimes. It is a a good experience as a first job, really introduces you to the industry. However there are much better companies to work for.

Cons

Way to many hours. They have this ideal that they would rather not contract or inflate their employees so that they can try and employ the same amount of employees full time. However, it does not happen because this company will pick up every job that they can get. They usually get too much work to handle for their employees. They will work 12+ hour days. Than they will have to hire more artist to get the jobs done. When I was there, I was working the night shift, and the complete disregard for us on night shift was despicable. No a/c, the bathrooms would run out of soap, toilet paper, and hand towels on weekends. People would burn out at ridiculous rates. Also, there really is not a a lot of room for advancement. Also, this mostly pertains to freelancers, not staff, since they do get benefits and whatnot.

This place considers itself a place founded by artist. But the company really abuses its employees by working them too hard, the general dissatisfaction of the employees is rather high. My advice is, hire more employees, pay them better, give them better hours or any combination thereof.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a bad place to start. Staying on is a bit hard, though.

Pros

Like in the title, not a bad place to start. Fresh out of school and no experience? Go for it. You'll get to work on some of the biggest films of the year and get imdb credit if you remember to add yourself to the ones that you worked on. On some rare occasions, you might even make screen credits, but it is more or less a lottery, depending on how much room they get in the credits. You will the make a decent amount of money working here, what with all the overtime you'll be getting, especially if they're working on several films at once. You can meet a lot of interesting people at various parts of their career, such as those just starting out, or seasoned veterans looking to make some scratch. The leads are pretty cool as well. In addition, not for every show, but they do host private crew screenings so you can see the fruits of your labor.

Cons

Time off policies are pretty meh, how it works is: you can request time off, but it's always a pretty small chance of you receiving it, even if it is important, like a family emergency. Time off was actually kind of a foreign concept during my time then. At the time, there were several shows in house, and 70-80 hour work weeks were the norm. When things started calming down, they needed people on the clock all the time, so they instituted a day and night shift in my department (which no longer exists, but I will get into that later) for the express purpose of lowering work weeks to a slightly more reasonable 60 hour work week. If you do start work here, and they have more than two shows being worked on at once, prepare to not have any social life whatsoever. For example, our night shift went two months straight without a single day off, working seven days a week. Crunch time is usually almost all the time here, but hey, you're making money, right? Which brings me to layoffs. They happen, and usually without warning. The weeks before they started letting us go in droves, all the leads and higher ups were shooting down the rumors, until one day they became true. The department I worked at is no longer there since they outsource what we did nowadays. Kind of funny, seeing as we slowly stopped working on our own stuff and became a QA team for incoming work from overseas before they pulled the plug on us.

Please be careful when opting to go the cheaper route when it comes to conversion, it shows when you do. If you bring in someone for contract/temp work, please just give them a concrete end date instead of purposely being ambiguous.

A Strong Growing Company With Some Minor Aches and Pains

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

Pros

You work with many talented and awesome artist, work on some of the biggest block busters of the year, sometimes get to meet directors and cast, and are constantly growing your skill sets, taking on new and exciting project (if you make sure to put yourself in that position). Although they do lay off during down times (not as much anymore), they usually hire back those who worked here prior. I've seen people quit and come back with no issues (if they're were boombastic).

As long as we continue to grow our VFX departments and start integrating our Stereo Conversion expertise with some visual effects goodness, we should be on pretty solid ground. The neat thing, depending on your background (paint, compositing, modeling, etc) they'll look for those positions internally for projects before hiring new employees.

Cons

Hard to stay focused when management changes the game so much. During busy seasons, people get flustered and you can tell. Teams get shifted from project to project, last minute schedule changes appear, deadlines don't change when things are delayed (usually caused by outside studios and vendors). Conversion still isn't at the "top of the list" for most directors so we sometimes get the short end of the stick.

Give more time to your artist. I understand there's deadlines and someone on the other line of the phone paying the bills/giving orders, but our work and stress would be so much better if we were able to focus and do the job right the first time rather then rushing through it. Push on the clients a little more. Try and give a week notice for schedule changes/weekend work.

Poor Company Culture, an unpleasant place to work

Former Employee - Paint/Composite Artist  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Paint/Composite Artist in Burbank, CA

Pros

Pay is average. A good filler between freelance work in film.

Cons

Poor company culture, bad management by the lead artist. Bullying tactics deployed by a Lead to hold his position. Authority projected onto new employees. There is a lot of bias by the Leads. Artists haven been laid off without warning. Any previous experience in film is disregarded and the artist is disrespected. Previous VFX experience in film is not necessary - entry level juniors who start work in the same position are on the say pay as Mid level or Senior artists whom have started at the same time.

Assess and review lead artists more carefully without bias - on a yearly basis.

Good opportunity to gain experience fast.

Former Employee - Stereo Compositor  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Stereo Compositor in Burbank, CA

Pros

You will gain loads of experience and imdb credits that you can use to land your next gig. All the overtime will load your banking account. You will learn a lot of real world skills that you can take with you, and working a normal work week after a few months of 80+ week will feel like vacation.

Cons

Expect to get laid off, expect overtime, expect to work your butt off to get the stink of conversion off when you decide to move on to other parts of the industry.

Great for when you're between gigs.

Pros

Lots of overtime & a great place to add some features to your résumé. At least Porto's is close.

Cons

Management is incompetent. It is a glorified sweatshop. You'll find out 5pm on Friday if you're expected to work sat/sun. In crunch time, you'll find out at noon, if they're going to work you 24 hours straight.

It's a Job

Former Employee - Paint/Composite Artist  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Paint/Composite Artist in Burbank, CA

Pros

Pay rate isn't insulting.
    cutting edge tech and software.
    Great team of artist to learn from.
    Releases look good on a resume.

Cons

They will treat you horrible.
    Obscene hours are expected.
    perpetual bottleneck occurs in specific dept in pipeline.
    Poor planning leads to constant layoffs and ramp ups of staff.

Management has poor leader ship ability & poor understanding of the process for the product they provide. under standing the process and that the staff are human will be beneficial.

Uninspired

Current Employee - Depth Artist  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Depth Artist in Burbank, CA

Pros

Mindless work. I frequently fall asleep while working. If you don't care about your work it is a very relaxing place to work.

Cons

The work is very uninspired. Feeding short studio deadlines and caring very little about the quality of the work. Artists are not respected or given any recognition for their work.

Take some pride in the work you produce. Being the cheap stereo studio gets you work but makes the industry as a whole fall behind. Develop tools that make the process faster and better, Or you will not be relevant for much longer.

Worked for Stereo D? Contribute to the Community!