Steria Reviews in Hemel Hempstead, England

2.7

Steria Chairman and CEO François Enaud
François Enaud

Pros
  • For me the only real plus has been the work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Worked with some really good people and everyone put in alot of effort to deliver to the customers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No clear strategy from senior management (in 9 reviews)

• Lack of direction on career progression (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good people at lower levels

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I worked at Steria full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good colleagues who work well together. Flexible and work-life balance good as home based employees typically can stay away from an office unless there is a specific need to be there when not working on a customer site.

Cons

Some of the management only see numbers

Remember the people make the business

Management just in it for for themselves

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I worked at Steria full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some goos people at the coal face

Cons

No clear strategy from senior management
    Don't expect any support from management

A company where "training" is a four letter word.

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I have been working at Steria full-time for more than a year

Pros

As others have previously stated, Steria has some excellent people, both personally and technically. It also offers a descent work life balance and has some interesting customers and projects.

Cons

Getting any form of training from this company is like trying to get blood from a stone. Even with perfectly valid justifications that meet their own internal pre-requisites you get the strong impression from senior management, at least in my project, that technical training is simply not required. This is in stark contrast to what you are told at induction which is that they will support your career growth and offer relevant training courses as required. However, when you try and make good on this promise you hit a brick wall very quickly.

Technology moves fast but your best career minded technical staff will move (away) even faster if Steria don't live up to their promises and support employees careers with relevant and desired training courses. There are numerous other companies who happily do this as a matter of course because they realise that is one of the main ways to keep their technical staff engaged and loyal.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Steria dont do it!

Former Employee - Head of Architecture  in  Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Head of Architecture in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I worked at Steria full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of promoses and some very good people

Cons

The worst company I have ever worked for. Management (I was in there too) are out for themselves they only look month on month to try and make others look bad so they get away with not meeting the lies they peddle. I am used to realism and projection this lot wouldnt know it if they were sodomised with it. Started to try and change and lead by example, ended up as one of them as it was easier. I left and they tried to keep me, awful company.

Quite a caring Technology / BPO company

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I have been working at Steria full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very open and sharing environment

Cons

The bench process is very strict

Need to develop a better bench -process to retain talent to support ongoing business develpment rather then lose talent and then try to recruit when opportunities arrise and find opportunites are lost due to non-availability of appropriate resources.

Bitter sweet

Former Employee - Service Desk  in  Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Service Desk in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I worked at Steria full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people (definitely not including management) and location.

Cons

Believe me, when I say that I am not writing this review as a disgruntled former employee. I had some very good years at Steria, I have to say that the first few years of my employment were some what rewarding (obviously not financially - let's not be crazy!!)
    When the company decided to relocate to a different office, it was an extremely big suprise and this is sadly because of the lies and promises that were told to myself and my colleagues. This is because management have absolutely no respect for their staff. I know respect has to be earnt, but if I tell you that I had worked 18 hours straight and through my weekend, travelled 3 hours to train a team of replacements, gave up planned holiday, took on much more work for no extra money & had no HR support with serious team issues, I believe myself and my team at least deserved some honesty.
    Management had no people skills, which as middle management - is essential.

Advice to senior management, sort out your middle management, they genuinely do not have a clue.

A terrible company, unless you are a manager

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer  in  Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I worked at Steria full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None - There is nothing about this company that can be placed into this box.

Cons

The management only look out for themselves and do not support their staff. They will also blatantly lie to server their own purposes.

You are promised training only to be told at a later date that you can not have any as there is no budget for it.

There is very limited progression opportunities (unless you are a manager)

The company uses outdated technology and does not update anything until it is a major problem for the users.

Salaries are abysmal, a 0.5 percent pay increase is considered good.

Company is not interested in retaining staff. They will refuse to increase salaries and then when the employee leaves they will be replaced by someone either being paid the market rate or a much more expensive contractor.

Redundancies can happen on a whim. A decision to make a whole team redundant was made over a weekend. They were then replaced by contractors. Who then caused major problems for the users.

Not interested in winning new contracts or keeping current ones.

Your staff are the product you are selling - look after them.
    Pay your staff decent salaries - with decent pay rises
    Train your staff - they are your best asset
    Cut down on the management - to many cooks and all that.

Its a company of small and often silo'd companies

Current Employee - Principal Solutions Architect  in  Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Solutions Architect in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I have been working at Steria

Pros

Many of the people I interact with are quite friendly, intelligent great and actually quite hardworking. Some interesting projects, there are opportunities to grow (though few). It can be a stimulating environment, just depends on the team and who is leading it.

Cons

The company is very silo'd, with terriotorial debates dominating reason and common sense; however management is making effrorts to address;but are they doing enough?.
    IT systems are poor and quite unfriendly;especialy so for an IT firm. Every system has a different password; althouh I hear that sign signon is on the cards. Opportunity for pay increases are minimal (actually that an industry thing really). Some sectors are quite tribal and nasty, with bullying being the norm with some senior managers; in other sectors you have to be part of the 'gang' to get recognised. Tension between service lines and sector is unhealthy, demortalising and often costly!

Do they read this stuff? Well just in case they do... here goes..
    Continue to focus on the steria 1 initiatives; though painful now they will (if implemented successfully) deliver positive results. Stamp out bullying; foster collaboration within teams; sector and service lines (and penalise sectors who won't collaborate).

Remember that your staff are actually quite smart people (thats why you hired them in the first place); they are watching management and taking notice; also listen to them.

Most importantly stem the outbound flow of talent! How can Steria succeed if its talented people are rushing to leave the company. Find out why they are unhappy... and then actually do something about.

ps lets know what you are doing about it!! As it may stop others from leaving !

Time To Go

Current Employee - Database Administrator  in  Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I have been working at Steria

Pros

My colleagues on the project are a nice bunch of people. The Sports and Social Club is good, providing discounted tickets for events. Salary and benefits are pretty good.

Cons

All the accounts operate in their own silos, so finding other opportunities within the company is very hard. The IT systems used internally are generally poor, although this has been acknowledged by the company. Laptop provided is rubbish. Since buying Xansa a couple of years ago, Steria have been adopting a wide range of Xansa HR policies. These are all less beneficial to the employee. The final straw was adopting a coverage model to restrict pay rises this year.

The different parts of the company need to be more integrated. How about launching a technical community to encourage communication among the different project areas. Stop running down staff benefits.

Has real potential

Current Employee - Middle Manager  in  Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I have been working at Steria

Pros

A faily professional organisation bootstrapping its way up the ladder as best it can. It has real potential for being a very big player in the European arena. It has invested heavily in quality over the last few years and this is starting to payoff. Hopefully not too late. An extremely flexible organisation - perhaps a little too flexible sometimes

Cons

Quite insentive driven and personal goals achieved by ripping off peers. Way too many transient, insincere contract staff and little investment in retaining permanant skilled staff. Most management are simply comercial managers and not "people" managers - Isnt it odd that most of the comments on this site are from "Senior" "Consultants" telling you its easy to rip the company off? Incredibly poor Project Management control.

Look closely at your vision. Bite the bullet and have the courrage of your convictions. Invest in YOUR staff and not contract labour. Take a few more risks. Its better to fight and maybe win the war than have the life blood slowly sucked out of you by money mining cotract mercinaries. Listen to those wise old owls you have. Some of them have a point... Make sure your customer knows how well your doing for them and when they want to do something different, "avised" them dont just say "yes". If the customer really knew how to operate the service it buys from Steria, it wouldnt be buying it would it? Your strength is your flexibility. Dont try and write a water tight contract. People are wise to it these days.

Worked for Steria? Contribute to the Community!